A look on writing, gameplay and some lore questions

For discussing Torment's story, setting, and characters. Ninth World discussions encouraged. Spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

User avatar
anonymous6059
Adventurer
Posts: 786
Joined: January 5th, 2016, 6:45 pm

Re: A look on writing, gameplay and some lore questions

Post by anonymous6059 » March 6th, 2016, 6:45 am

Lord of Riva wrote:
anonymous6059 wrote:
Lord of Riva wrote:ahhh, that is kinda misleading.

you do realise that this can mean 5-1000 encounters. Im still thinking you will not get what you wish for is what im saying
Well it does say "ample opportunity". If that means a modron's cube or what I've been saying we have yet to see. Eitherway, why have all the goons and thugs in so many areas if they won't be fightable. It'd be like adding clay pots to zelda and saying you might not be able to break them.
Because if you meet your blinged Gangsta wherever you live, basically the cool kids and delinquents, no person in their right mind would just slaughter them on the open streets. Or do you go around killing all marijuana dealers because what they do is clearly illegal?

that said, a arena like the modron cube wouldnt be wrong however remember that encounters dont necessary bring XP also the level progression is rather limited with "only" 6 Tiers
For one thing we are talking about a video game not reality. Just because in Halo you can shoot someone 6 times before they die doesn't mean it applies at all in the world outside our screens. In every Zelda game you could break into someones home, break some pots, and take their rupees. If in any future Zelda games they were to decide to remove breakable pots I think a lot of people would be bothered if not upset. I mean its a tradition. Its something you've come to expect. Can Zelda exist without breakable pots, Sure. Would anyone really want that, I don't think so. Torment isn't about emmulating reality. It is a fantasy/sci-fi setting and isn't a replica of the real world. That's part of why people play RPGs, they want to escape "reality" for a bit. So I think your point is misleading to say the least. When you play Planescape and you run into a THUG it attacks you. So when your playing TToN I think its fair to assume the thugs won't run up and hug you instead.

Every Black Isles game I've ever played allowed you to attack just about anyone. Almost every game had pretty consistent combat through out the game. Planescape Torment was a bit different and is an exception to the rule, but it still had plenty of combat. I think its pretty obvious that Inxile never intended to remove non-crisis combat from the game. Not every encounter needs to have huge ramifications. What I think Inxile does care about though is removing trash mobs and forced encounters. All combat will be "optional" outside of crisis encounters and that's what I think matters. I see no useful reason in limiting how someone can role-play the game as long as immersion is intact.

It's very likely that merchants, townspeople, and many others will not be combative though. I'm thinking that all combat will have to come about through dialogue choices. That only Goons, Thugs, Stichas (bug-people), and others I haven't encountered will be able to fight you and only when you have chosen for them too. Its the only rational why I can see for them to deliver on what they have said they will.

I also don't think Xp will be given for non-crisis combat. Its very likely that combat will only lead to small changes in the outcome of the game. Example, you kill all the thugs and get a legacy of being blood thirsty. I don't think that any other use will come out of combat because that would make people feel that they need to fight and ruining the game. Additional combat should only be sought after simply because that's the legacy you wish to leave. If you want to role-play a violent character you should have that ability. If you want to role-play a pacifist you should have that ability. Both should have equally enjoyable outcomes. Its should always be about role-playing above anything else.

User avatar
Lord of Riva
Adventurer
Posts: 964
Joined: October 14th, 2014, 10:18 am

Re: A look on writing, gameplay and some lore questions

Post by Lord of Riva » March 7th, 2016, 3:36 am

or one thing we are talking about a video game not reality.
while i would agree in general. The game explores morality and judges how you act. This is clearly a a method to measure real world values (even if they are not equivalent) in a system.

both in Numenera and a value system like this nedless violence in a city like sagus cliff (or any at least semi-civilised part of the world)is massively out of place and often time hardly punished just like here. So in this case it is really easy to apply in these scenarios.

pointing towards other games is as wrong as me pointing towards reality btw. One world doesnt have to have the same rules as the other.
Here its relatively clear.

kilobug
Adventurer
Posts: 925
Joined: September 21st, 2014, 1:07 am
Location: Paris, France

Re: A look on writing, gameplay and some lore questions

Post by kilobug » March 7th, 2016, 3:17 pm

Lord of Riva wrote:Because if you meet your blinged Gangsta wherever you live, basically the cool kids and delinquents, no person in their right mind would just slaughter them on the open streets. Or do you go around killing all marijuana dealers because what they do is clearly illegal?
Indeed
Lord of Riva wrote:that said, a arena like the modron cube wouldnt be wrong however remember that encounters dont necessary bring XP also the level progression is rather limited with "only" 6 Tiers
The 6 Tiers limit is on the pen&paper game (and there are optional rules to continue advancement afterwards), last time I saw an official answer on that topic was "we don't know yet if there will be 6 or more Tiers in TTON". But yes, just defeating enemies don't give XP in Numenéra, if there is something like a Modron Cube it'll probably only bring XP when you discover Nordom, and perhaps the fist time you defeat the "sorcerer lord" and get a portal lens.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest