The tutorial set me off (pre awaken section)

For discussing Torment's story, setting, and characters. Ninth World discussions encouraged. Spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

monocle
Acolyte

The tutorial set me off (pre awaken section)

Post by monocle » January 22nd, 2016, 3:55 pm

The Spectre.... when it appeared, i felt decieved. So cheap, so deus ex machinish, so out of place, dunno if it plays out later in the story, but the TTON tutorial is WAAAAYS less appealing than the Mortuary. At least that spectre character is ahhhh.... why?!!!

Stop treating a player as a 5 year old baby in need of a tutorial, the ppl who backed this game up don't need it in such an explicit manner. Respect the players' intelligence, please!

Also this acceptiveness of the last castoff is frightening. If I were to discover another voice aware of "reality" in my head, I'd be scared as hell, least listen to what this voice demands of me to do in the real world.
Last edited by monocle on January 23rd, 2016, 1:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Javascript, Java, C#, numerous frameworks and design patterns, my spellbook is quite heavy.

dorkboy
Master

Re: The tutorial set me off (pre awaken section)

Post by dorkboy » January 22nd, 2016, 4:39 pm

At least that spectre character is ahhhh.... why?!!!
It's probably a good idea to be as specific as possible, so that the devs can have a better chance at pinpointing the actual cause of the issue.
marmelade & jam

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » January 23rd, 2016, 12:46 am

yes i dont have a clue what yoiu are talking about?

i feel a lot of the tutorialisation is not yet fullfilling what it needs to do, so they probably need to even expand on this horrible ghost. my opinion though

GasMaskFan
Explorer

Post by GasMaskFan » January 25th, 2016, 2:43 am

There was a tutorial? <_< I thought it was really long character creation & intro :P
The gas mask enthusiast

Ostonson
Initiate

Post by Ostonson » January 26th, 2016, 4:20 am

I really do hope that this first part of a game, with glowing orbs, multicolored tanks and commanding ghost will be optional. So far that's the worst part of beta. Just a very long filler.

monocle
Acolyte

Post by monocle » January 26th, 2016, 9:32 am

Ostonson wrote:I really do hope that this first part of a game, with glowing orbs, multicolored tanks and commanding ghost will be optional. So far that's the worst part of beta. Just a very long filler.
I'm sure somebody will mod it off aka paragusbegone mod for kotor 2.
Javascript, Java, C#, numerous frameworks and design patterns, my spellbook is quite heavy.

Ostonson
Initiate

Post by Ostonson » January 26th, 2016, 11:15 am

monocle wrote:
Ostonson wrote:I really do hope that this first part of a game, with glowing orbs, multicolored tanks and commanding ghost will be optional. So far that's the worst part of beta. Just a very long filler.
I'm sure somebody will mod it off aka paragusbegone mod for kotor 2.
All of this tutorial level could've been MUD version, with concept art and story. But running in circles with Sorrow fragments (by the way where is Joy fragment, and Fear, that old fellow?) it's the worst battle system intoduction I've ever seen. No, pardon me, not the worst, but still - feels bad.

Firesnakearies
Scholar

Post by Firesnakearies » January 26th, 2016, 8:14 pm

See, I really liked the first crisis in the labyrinth, with the cool creatures and the interesting dialogue-based moral choice bits, mixed in with trying to avoid scary monsters that could kill you. I thought that part was really fun, actually.

diabolical_jazz
Initiate

Post by diabolical_jazz » January 29th, 2016, 8:36 am

Some of the scenes from the orbs came up later and made things make more sense; they weren't filler or throwaway scenarios, they were memories. I liked them, and I thought it was a good way of doing character creation.

That said, I always like for an extended character creation to be skippable, at least on the second playthrough.

Lightzy
Acolyte

Post by Lightzy » February 17th, 2016, 6:57 pm

It is quite amazing and a testament to good taste, that what PS:T managed in a short dialogue scene with 2 characters, TTON cannot accomplish with all the shiny colors and bajillion word ministories in the world.

If you have it, you have it (Chris Avellone). If you don't, you don't. I really hope to be very pleasantly surprised though. I do have faith in these ppl. I liked both the writing and the scope of WL2

Anaeme
Acolyte

Post by Anaeme » February 25th, 2016, 9:55 am

The tutorial was great in my opinion...I loved the stories in the tank sequence and there is a lot of material there if you are interested in reading.

The combat can be made more exciting though

Agiel
Novice

Post by Agiel » February 28th, 2016, 1:12 pm

You could make a hard save after the tank crisis and before you re-enter the mortal coil. It does give you the option to change your descriptor and class at that moment.

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » March 3rd, 2016, 4:51 am

This is for Inxile:
The fact that at least 2 people have created threads about this should indicate that the tutorial might need some work!!!

Yeah, I had almost the exact same reaction. I didn't feel like my hand was being held though. It was mostly in the reasoning as to "why" the PC was doing what he was that threw me off. The first floor was pretty cool. Weird voice in my head, strange floor that moves like waves, and the creepy mirror were all pretty cool. Then I step into this room that looks like it was thrown together at the last minute. It has these random teleporting worm holes that make no sense and look really bad. A gummi-bear green man starts filling me in on the chant like he has no issues with the fact that he was born just moments ago. His level of acceptance and understanding of everything going on is just annoying. I wanted to distrust and kill the jolly green man not follow his directions.

The worst part to me though was the way that they introduced these really cool looking Sorrow Fragments.
(Side note: The words fragment and Shard are really dumb. I know it was used for everything in the 70s and 80s fantasy Genre but its just not cool anymore. Shadow Frags sounds really bad.)
Anyway, I really liked the design of the Shadows. They looked even cooler then the shadows from PST, but it didn't feel right to have them introduced at this point. I mean, I do like the idea of having a mini-game every time I get killed. Making me knit my body back together by killing the Shadows of Death is a good idea. Its just not being implemented in a satisfactory way.Perhaps, let the PC into the world. Come to terms with his lot. Then kill him and let me learn about this tide, green brain phantom, and his mental issues. The PC is just taking all this stuff in at once and its really unrealistic. You could keep the first part, jump to reality for a bit, then go back into the PCs mind and do the tide part. The whole thing gets run into the ground by doing it all at once.

1. Flesh out the Jolly Green Gummi man.
2. Work on the Mini-game Tide balancing flesh knitter.
3. Start giving NPCs real names.

Lightzy
Acolyte

Post by Lightzy » March 6th, 2016, 5:13 pm

I also feel the whole concept of tides should have been introduced slowly throughout the game instead of exploding a colorful pinata over the player's head right at the tutorial. I found the tutorial so off-putting I put the game aside for later. Perhaps it is too quick a judgement, but if the tutorial was to be a showcase of what the game is to be, then I really didn't like it.

I think, all in all, this game would do a lot better without THE ENTIRE TUTORIAL. Just let the guy land in the lab after the little falling text and give the player the opportunity to discover things slowly, on the way. None of that ghost commanding running around fighting shadows over colorful glowy holding tanks full of alien creatures... Sorry, but it's just... trying too hard.

Naharavensari
Initiate

Post by Naharavensari » June 14th, 2016, 3:47 am

The Spector seems off to me as well. He is too friendly. Just cause he is apart of your mind doesn't mean he likes or wants to help you. At times in get some apathy or disinterest, but it isn't played up enough.

His character feels very undefined.

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » June 14th, 2016, 4:27 am

Naharavensari wrote:The Spector seems off to me as well. He is too friendly. Just cause he is apart of your mind doesn't mean he likes or wants to help you. At times in get some apathy or disinterest, but it isn't played up enough.

His character feels very undefined.
Exactly! The Specter has no personality at all. I'd imagine he wouldn't be so happy to find out that he was just a byproduct of someones mind. He would want to be the "real" last castoff. I'd also love to see them explore schizophrenia. Have the Specter appear in the game and talk with the Last Castoff, but only seen by him. Giving everyone the impression that the fall had taken a permanent toll on your mind.

Shonen_Hero
Initiate

Post by Shonen_Hero » June 14th, 2016, 2:30 pm

I actually liked the tutorial prepatch. I liked learning about the odd creatures that represented tides and the moral choices you had to make that were somewhat alien in nature. I didn't mind the specter, and I am sad his portrait and VA were gutted out of the game. I will agree the combat phase was super clunky though, and I can see why the devs felt it may be best to throw it out.

Still wish some of it could be salvaged though. :\