Sagus cliff beta question

For discussing Torment's story, setting, and characters. Ninth World discussions encouraged. Spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

cyseal
Acolyte

Sagus cliff beta question

Post by cyseal » January 22nd, 2016, 4:10 am

What is the story reason for the black goo leviating and going upwards?
Last edited by cyseal on January 22nd, 2016, 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Djoan
Acolyte

Re: Sagus cliff beta question

Post by Djoan » January 22nd, 2016, 6:32 am

cyseal wrote:What is the story reason for the black goo is leviating and going upwards?
Some kind of machine, that is what i learned so far, doubt they will elaborate on it.

Colin McComb
Acolyte

Post by Colin McComb » January 22nd, 2016, 6:38 am

It's (probably) just a weird environmental thing. Probably.

freelight
Initiate

Post by freelight » January 22nd, 2016, 7:43 am

I assumed it was engine oil from a long-gone spacecraft. Or possibly a trans-dimensional loogie.

GavinJF
Acolyte

Post by GavinJF » January 22nd, 2016, 8:53 am

freelight wrote:I assumed it was engine oil from a long-gone spacecraft. Or possibly a trans-dimensional loogie.
Those are both good guesses, but the truth is more terrifying. And sinister. AND TERRIFYING.

Wait, I already said "terrifying", didn't I? IF ONLY THIS KEYBOARD HAD A BACKSPACE KEY.

cyseal
Acolyte

Post by cyseal » January 22nd, 2016, 9:10 am

GavinJF wrote:
freelight wrote:I assumed it was engine oil from a long-gone spacecraft. Or possibly a trans-dimensional loogie.
Those are both good guesses, but the truth is more terrifying. And sinister. AND TERRIFYING.

Wait, I already said "terrifying", didn't I? IF ONLY THIS KEYBOARD HAD A BACKSPACE KEY.
Does it involve some type of anti-gravity?
I can't imagine something more sinister than having a keyboard without a backspace key.

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » January 22nd, 2016, 9:24 am

WHAT? Oil doesn't normally float up?
cyseal wrote: I can't imagine something more sinister than having a keyboard without a backspace key.
IImage

GavinJF
Acolyte

Post by GavinJF » January 22nd, 2016, 9:47 am

cyseal wrote:I can't imagine something more sinister than having a keyboard without a backspace key.
Oh, I know. I've tried shaking the screen until the words fall off, but that only works once in a while.

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » January 22nd, 2016, 9:50 am

GavinJF wrote:
cyseal wrote:I can't imagine something more sinister than having a keyboard without a backspace key.
Oh, I know. I've tried shaking the screen until the words fall off, but that only works once in a while.
you have to scream "fatality" if it works as well, for the dramatic effect :D

cyseal
Acolyte

Post by cyseal » January 22nd, 2016, 9:56 am

GavinJF wrote: Oh, I know. I've tried shaking the screen until the words fall off, but that only works once in a while.
Only Taylor Swift can shake it off in this situation.

But, back on the topic. This anti-gravity with black goo probably is some kind of a spoiler, right?

GavinJF
Acolyte

Post by GavinJF » January 22nd, 2016, 10:28 am

cyseal wrote:But, back on the topic. This anti-gravity with black goo probably is some kind of a spoiler, right?
In a sense, yeah. One of the things I really dig about this setting is the mystery surrounding the numenera. When writing these object interactions, we generally come up with an explanation for what they are to guide the logic of the conversation. That way, you (hopefully) don't get the sense that the thing is JUST weird, but that the function of the thing is lost to time and beyond your character's understanding even though it's behaving in a logical way. That way, you get to theorize along with the rest of the world's inhabitants about what the hell is going on.

So for the goo, your character can figure out what it's doing, but not necessarily why it's doing it. Since this is the Ninth World, though? It's probably up to no good.