TTON: Storyline Explanation?

For discussing Torment's story, setting, and characters. Ninth World discussions encouraged. Spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

MsFicwriter
Initiate

TTON: Storyline Explanation?

Post by MsFicwriter » December 17th, 2015, 12:01 pm

From what I gather:

A) You are the Last Castoff, meaning the last body/incarnation of the Changing God before he discarded you.
B) You have amnesia.
C) There is an entity called "The Sorrow" who is after you for some reason.

Now: What's this about "Tidal reactivity"?

kilobug
Adventurer

Re: TTON: Storyline Explanation?

Post by kilobug » December 18th, 2015, 12:35 am

The Tides are "aligned" forces, 5 of them. Like the Gold Tide is "Empathy, Charity, Compassion, Sacrifice", the Blue Tide is "Reason, Insight, Wisdom". Your acts and decisions in the game will affect which tide(s) you're "aligned" with (can be more than one, they are not mutually exclusive). And in turn it'll have some effects on both game mechanics (unlock some special ability, change abilities of some items, ...) and on the game world (some NPCs will react differently, ...).

At the end of the game, you'll have a "Legacy", which is influenced by all the choices you made during the game, and in great part by the one or two Tides you're the stronger with.

PS : disclaimer I don't work for inXile, so take everything i say as non-official ;)

sear
Developer

Post by sear » December 18th, 2015, 7:18 am

Think of Tides as a bit like our alignment system. They are forces which may influence but also respond to the world and those in it, especially actions taken. Unlike most alignment systems however, like typical good vs. evil, the Tides embody certain "values" such as empathy, insight, passion, and so on. They are not moralistic, though they may intertwine with moral questions and ideas.

From our web site's write-up:
The Tides of Numenera

Certain scholars of the Ninth World have studied the pull of forces they call "The Tides"; unseen powers that have profound and lasting effects for those attuned to their motions. Like gravity or magnetism, the Tides are invisible, powerful, and, with the right tools, perhaps even controllable. Those who manipulate them can have a strong influence on society, the numenera, and the mysterious creatures of the world. Does everyone know of the Tides? Not at all. In fact, knowledge of the Tides is generally limited to a select few.

The understanding of these forces is incomplete and difficult to grasp; the Tides represent concepts that are not entirely definable by language. Those who acknowledge them have given them symbolic colors based on how they appear to correspond with emotional and psychological reactions. The colors are important because a word like "justice" (for example) is too simplistic. The Indigo Tide represents justice and fairness, but it might also mean a desire for the greater good or an "end justifies the means" mentality. The Gold Tide can represent false philanthropy as well as martyrdom. It's the actions that matter, not the motivations.

In the game, the Tides serve as a kind of alignment system; but a more nuanced system, and one that does not judge actions based on whether they're good or evil. You'll learn more about the Tides as you explore Torment. And the Tides will gradually change based on your actions and decisions, ultimately determining your Legacy.

The Tides themselves are explored further in the novella compilation, From the Depths.

Djoan
Acolyte

Post by Djoan » December 18th, 2015, 12:56 pm

sear wrote:Think of Tides as a bit like our alignment system. They are forces which may influence but also respond to the world and those in it, especially actions taken. Unlike most alignment systems however, like typical good vs. evil, the Tides embody certain "values" such as empathy, insight, passion, and so on. They are not moralistic, though they may intertwine with moral questions and ideas.

From our web site's write-up:
The Tides of Numenera

Certain scholars of the Ninth World have studied the pull of forces they call "The Tides"; unseen powers that have profound and lasting effects for those attuned to their motions. Like gravity or magnetism, the Tides are invisible, powerful, and, with the right tools, perhaps even controllable. Those who manipulate them can have a strong influence on society, the numenera, and the mysterious creatures of the world. Does everyone know of the Tides? Not at all. In fact, knowledge of the Tides is generally limited to a select few.

The understanding of these forces is incomplete and difficult to grasp; the Tides represent concepts that are not entirely definable by language. Those who acknowledge them have given them symbolic colors based on how they appear to correspond with emotional and psychological reactions. The colors are important because a word like "justice" (for example) is too simplistic. The Indigo Tide represents justice and fairness, but it might also mean a desire for the greater good or an "end justifies the means" mentality. The Gold Tide can represent false philanthropy as well as martyrdom. It's the actions that matter, not the motivations.

In the game, the Tides serve as a kind of alignment system; but a more nuanced system, and one that does not judge actions based on whether they're good or evil. You'll learn more about the Tides as you explore Torment. And the Tides will gradually change based on your actions and decisions, ultimately determining your Legacy.

The Tides themselves are explored further in the novella compilation, From the Depths.
Can't wait for the beta! One of the things i am most exited about is this Tides of Numenera system! There were two things i disliked and almost all of my favorite RPGS had - the alignment and the karma systems, i am so glad they are gone in new Torment game!

I didn't know that they even can unlock new abilities!But will it be like Blue Tide gives you -1 difficulty on rational and/or investigation effort requiring task, etc... or something more elaborate :?:

Gold Dragon
Initiate

Post by Gold Dragon » March 7th, 2016, 5:25 pm

I just finished reading the Gold and Indigo novellas. They were amazing! :D I think I understand how the tides work now, but I'm still really curious what happens with some of the characters. Are the novellas completely stand-alone, or will we get to find out more information about those characters in the game?

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » March 8th, 2016, 3:56 am

Gold Dragon wrote:I just finished reading the Gold and Indigo novellas. They were amazing! :D I think I understand how the tides work now, but I'm still really curious what happens with some of the characters. Are the novellas completely stand-alone, or will we get to find out more information about those characters in the game?
I only did read the Gold for now - I'm not too fond of reading ebooks, so I'll wait for my paper copy before reading the rest I guess - and yes it was great. But AFAIK those novellas are here for "flavor" and "world building" but will have no direct connection (no recurring character, ...) with TTON.

Aramintai
Scholar

Post by Aramintai » March 8th, 2016, 4:22 am

kilobug wrote:
Gold Dragon wrote:I just finished reading the Gold and Indigo novellas. They were amazing! :D I think I understand how the tides work now, but I'm still really curious what happens with some of the characters. Are the novellas completely stand-alone, or will we get to find out more information about those characters in the game?
I only did read the Gold for now - I'm not too fond of reading ebooks, so I'll wait for my paper copy before reading the rest I guess - and yes it was great. But AFAIK those novellas are here for "flavor" and "world building" but will have no direct connection (no recurring character, ...) with TTON.
Perhaps no recurring characters but they sure did give a nice exposition of two ingame locations - Ruins of Ossiphagan and the city of M'ra Jolios.
Personally, I still don't get what the tides are. Fundamental forces of the world? Some long forgotten magic/tech? But attuning to them sure was very important to the Changing God, so that probably means they give some sort of power. Hopefully the game will explain them better.