From the Depths: Indigo

For discussing Torment's story, setting, and characters. Ninth World discussions encouraged. Spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

Roger Wilco
Scholar

From the Depths: Indigo

Post by Roger Wilco » May 26th, 2015, 11:36 pm

Just read the new novella. I enjoyed it. Maybe overused "what does one life matter" a tad, but it was compelling and a bit more relatable than Gold was, IMO.

I can't wait for the rest.

VioletShadow
Novice

Re: From the Depths: Indigo

Post by VioletShadow » June 4th, 2015, 6:22 pm

I quite liked it! The Gold novella was very good, but I agree that this one is even better. In a way the indigo tide can connect more with the reader than gold because of its subtlety. The gold tide encompasses concepts that, albeit complex, are more concrete (empathy, compassion), whereas indigo can be more ambiguous/relative with things like "the greater good" or "justice". What IS the greater good? Who/what determines it? I guess whatever force governs the tides must "know" :mrgreen: but the novella seems to indicate that

if you act a certain way because it will benefit you and those close to you like a tribe or community, the indigo tide will not react to you as strongly (Eltria) even if you believe it's for the "greater good" compared to Tuck/Baji where there is a degree of sacrifice and you have to look at the bigger picture and if the action benefits the majority of, presumably, the world or not

Looks like Baji and Tuck were both pure indigo and whatever Numenera was "inside" Tuck was tidal and that's how they were able to communicate.

I also loved the narrator! Quite the interesting ahem...species :lol:
~One's convictions should be proportional to one's evidence~

Roger Wilco
Scholar

Post by Roger Wilco » June 5th, 2015, 4:31 pm

Yeah. I wonder if we will be seeing those "creatures" make an appearance in the game...

I think this Novella also benefited from having a wider variety of characters, locations and numenera than Gold did and yes, Baji & Tuck Were the self-sacrificing types, that the audience could really connect and feel for.

For awhile I thought that Eltria was going to end up being another castoff, or incarnation of the Changing God, like the woman in the Gold Novella, manufacturing these situations for ulteria motives. But, honestly, I think I'm glad that she wasn't. It actually works out better showing the danger of someone that thinks they are smarter than they are, meddling with things they don't understand.

VioletShadow
Novice

Post by VioletShadow » June 6th, 2015, 5:21 pm

Roger Wilco wrote:Yeah. I wonder if we will be seeing those "creatures" make an appearance in the game...

I think this Novella also benefited from having a wider variety of characters, locations and numenera than Gold did and yes, Baji & Tuck Were the self-sacrificing types, that the audience could really connect and feel for.

For awhile I thought that Eltria was going to end up being another castoff, or incarnation of the Changing God, like the woman in the Gold Novella, manufacturing these situations for ulteria motives. But, honestly, I think I'm glad that she wasn't. It actually works out better showing the danger of someone that thinks they are smarter than they are, meddling with things they don't understand.
Seeing those again would be interesting, although I'd rather see the fire wights :mrgreen: so cute!
As for Eltria, I briefly considered that but then I started thinking that Tuck was the castoff with all the references to what his earliest memory was and the fact that someone went through a lot of trouble to hide him

tuluse
Adventurer

Post by tuluse » June 8th, 2015, 6:59 pm

I really liked this story. I love these nice short and too the point novellas to get into the mood and setting.

My thoughts are bit jumbled so bear with me

Cool hanging question enhanced the sense of mystery. Why was Tuck in the vat? How could only he and Baji communicate through the thingy? Over explaining things can be the death of a setting like this and it was nicely avoided.

Baji, more like Broji am I right or what? Seriously Baji was awesome.

I had a really high level of paranoia throughout the story expecting that I (or Tuck) couldn't trust anyone. That was nice, I hope the game manages to exude some of that.

The one thing I didn't care for was the playing around with the timeline at the beginning. Felt a little gimmicky and "alien creature has trouble understanding human time keeping" feels cliche at this point. It wasn't important to the story though, so just a minor annoyance.

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » June 9th, 2015, 8:56 am

It's a spoiler allowed subforum. So why do you use spoliers to hide, what you were written?*
Last edited by Firkraag on June 23rd, 2015, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am a warhead of weaponized Truth." The Last Castoff (non-canon).

"Colin's period as Jesus was an interesting time." © Brother_None

Roger Wilco
Scholar

Post by Roger Wilco » June 9th, 2015, 12:38 pm

I just like seeing black bars

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » June 9th, 2015, 3:56 pm

Oh. Okay, then
"I am a warhead of weaponized Truth." The Last Castoff (non-canon).

"Colin's period as Jesus was an interesting time." © Brother_None

VioletShadow
Novice

Post by VioletShadow » June 9th, 2015, 5:01 pm

I like the black bars too! Also, think of the poor innocents who might clickie by mistake. :lol:

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » June 11th, 2015, 12:04 pm

VioletShadow wrote:I like the black bars too! Also, think of the poor innocents who might clickie by mistake. :lol:
Or the moderators who read every post on the forum but don't like to see spoilers :P

tuluse
Adventurer

Post by tuluse » June 23rd, 2015, 7:47 am

Firkraag wrote:It's a spoiler allowed subforum. So why do you use spoliers to hide, what you're wrote?
It's a secret