Colin McComb's Torment narrative talk at EGX Rezzed

For discussing Torment's story, setting, and characters. Ninth World discussions encouraged. Spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

quartex
Initiate

Colin McComb's Torment narrative talk at EGX Rezzed

Post by quartex » March 15th, 2015, 9:40 am

I'm surprised that no one has commented on the talk already. I really liked the comments about the beginning of the story where the Sorrow confronts the Changing God in his artificial moon, it seems very action packed. I love the idea of the choices you make the the very beginning of the game, as you fall from towards earth, affecting the world below (and your survival). The opening narrative reminded me of the Prologue that we saw in the original Torment Vision PDF document:

“How did you find me?” he gasped. He conjured a wall of energy between himself and the creature. “I hid myself from you!”
The shadow crept toward him like a slow-moving flood. “You drew me with your creations. You drew me with the suffering you create. As you draw me even now.” A curling tendril of smoke crept under the defensive ward. The tendril flared into solidity and tore away the screen. “I have come to judge you, mortal.”
The man backed away down the high-ceilinged hall. “I am no mortal. I am a god now.” His voice, though shaky, rang with confidence. The man held up his hand again, marshaling powers against the inky blackness. Another wall of force blocked the advancing death, and a lambent blue light rose from the man’s skin. The light pulsed around him for a moment, his concentration slipping. With a visible effort he drew the light back inside.
“Age grants neither divinity nor wisdom,” the shadow hissed. “Your few years spent skittering across the face of life have taught you nothing but fear for your end.” The new screen fell, torn into wispy tatters. “And your end comes now.”

From a narrative perspective what excited me the most was the glimpse of the writing style guide, specifically the comment that the game was to represent an entire human life from infancy, to adolescence, to adulthood, to old game, and the style of writing should change as the protagonist matures. That seems really cool - Colin talks about "what does one life matter" and I love the idea that they want to depict all the stages of you life. Some day I hope the writing style document is released. I also noticed Colin's comment that The Sorrow represents death, you cannot defeat him, at best you can try to run from him to prolong your life (as your progenitor has done). Which makes me speculate that no matter how long your life is, it can only end one way. (does that mean the end of the game will include your obituary?)

The companions sounds cool, and I'm interested to hear that the crisis combat system is a bit like the combat system from The Banner Saga, which had some of the most tense combats I'm played in a long time.

(I just wrote a huge post on Colin McComb's Torment narrative talk at EGX Rezzed and it got deleted because I included web links in my post. There was no way to back up or edit my post, so I had to rewrite it from scratch.)

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Re: Colin McComb's Torment narrative talk at EGX Rezzed

Post by Lord of Riva » March 16th, 2015, 7:01 am

when we are talking about this video recording of him talking at rezzed. How is it that nobody is complaining that its cut at the end?

I would really like t now if there is a complete version flying around somewhere it was way to interesting to get cut of 1/3 of it.

quartex
Initiate

Post by quartex » March 16th, 2015, 7:16 am

Lord of Riva, you can find a full youtube recording of the talk if you go to the Facebook torment webpage and click on the comments thread for the Rezzed talk post. Someone posted a link to the full recording in the comments. (I'd link to it here, but I can't post web links because I'm a forum newbie)

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » March 16th, 2015, 10:33 am

quartex wrote:Lord of Riva, you can find a full youtube recording of the talk if you go to the Facebook torment webpage and click on the comments thread for the Rezzed talk post. Someone posted a link to the full recording in the comments. (I'd link to it here, but I can't post web links because I'm a forum newbie)
thanks, i looked it up but the video is still cut at the 32:47 part in the middle of a sentence or Mr.McComb

Well if there was a mishap with the recording, nothing can be done. But still if someone can dig out the full vid somwhere it would be much appreciated :)

quartex
Initiate

Post by quartex » March 16th, 2015, 1:36 pm

Sorry, I went back and checked the Facebook comments thread and the video I watched on Saturday has been removed. Youtube says that "This video is no longer available because the YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated."

There were only two questions at the end of the talk, he had very little time for questions. Someone asked it if would be possible to complete the game as a pacifist and Colin said probably. He also joked that no one had fond memories of combat in Planescape: Torment and described how combat was improved in this game. He said that that Crisises would involve doing a lot more than just fighting (talking to people, examining things, etc.), and that the combat mechanics in this game were going to be a bit similar to combat in The Banner Saga.

quartex
Initiate

Post by quartex » March 16th, 2015, 7:34 pm

I believe you can view the entire talk on the Twitch stream. There's a link on the RPGCodex forums:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.ph ... zed.97735/

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » March 17th, 2015, 12:53 am

thats it, great!

Thank you very much :)

Fictrix
Initiate

Post by Fictrix » March 18th, 2015, 4:59 am

quartex wrote:From a narrative perspective what excited me the most was the glimpse of the writing style guide…
I wish I could read it. I love reading writing style guides.

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » March 18th, 2015, 7:11 am

EGX Rezzed has now uploaded the full length video at this URL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36k6v6k4xoI
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Colin McComb
Acolyte

Post by Colin McComb » May 21st, 2015, 12:44 pm

I've also transcribed the talk (at last).

Right here!