Fanservice

For discussing Torment's story, setting, and characters. Ninth World discussions encouraged. Spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

drfruitloop
Novice

Fanservice

Post by drfruitloop » October 22nd, 2014, 11:05 am

For Tides of Numenera can we please limit in-jokes for the Planescape fans to a minimum? I just finished Wasteland 2 and it was impossible to care about the plot because it was comprised of references to the first game, to the point where the entire climax is dramatically meaningless to newcomers because it relies on you caring about a character from that game who never appears prior to that point.

I loved Planescape but Numenera needs to be it's own thing as much as possible.

Brother None
Developer

Re: Fanservice

Post by Brother None » October 22nd, 2014, 12:00 pm

Torment won't have any direct character or story tie-ins with Planescape: Torment. Subtle nods, at best.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

sefearion
Initiate

Post by sefearion » October 24th, 2014, 11:05 am

Excellent. I award Brother None with a Pristine Turkey Skull, do with it what you will.

jaleebi22
Initiate

Post by jaleebi22 » December 31st, 2014, 12:42 am

I was asking about the WL2 novella's by Stackpole and Avellone......!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Enjoy the real success with ccna dumps exam and cisco ccna online training programs and latest togaf course Also prepare for next level with quality Testking questions and www.northeastern.edu and join Stevenson University

Azmodiuz
Acolyte

Post by Azmodiuz » December 31st, 2014, 3:56 pm

I agree that some of wasteland 2 had to do with wasteland 1, perhaps just a little too much. but then again, the game was also pretty low budget, and most of the game was comedic to start with.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » January 1st, 2015, 12:57 pm

And what does any of this have to do with Planescape references in Numenera?
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Azmodiuz
Acolyte

Post by Azmodiuz » January 19th, 2016, 8:35 am

Drool wrote:And what does any of this have to do with Planescape references in Numenera?
That games made by the same people have references to the previous game/iteration or whatever you call it.

What if we find an earring that has a note rolled up inside of it, or what if random objects or thoughts and sentiments open up certain doors , if it was an object, clearly it would be numenera. Im sure there will be something, lets just hope its done in a manner that does not retract from the game, like the jokes in wasteland 2 about the first wasteland game.

vv221
Adventurer

Post by vv221 » January 19th, 2016, 10:03 am

I sure would appreciate some subtle references to PS:T in T:ToN. But please avoid nonsense like the blade of Dak’kon for sale in a shop of Baldur’s Gate 2.
I actually like the examples given by Azmodiuz, it sounds subtle enough to not distract from the game at hand. PS:T fans will get the reference, while newcomers to the Torment franchise won’t feel like they’re missing something.

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » January 19th, 2016, 10:50 am

vv221 wrote:But please avoid nonsense like the blade of Dak’kon for sale in a shop of Baldur’s Gate 2.
I remember someone asking about it here or on user voice and was answered, that references probably won't obvious.

BTW, say what you want, but lore aside, that blade was amazing! I'm almost sure, that vendor just heard that story from some planar and lied to you about it, so you'd pay more!
"I am a warhead of weaponized Truth." The Last Castoff (non-canon).

"Colin's period as Jesus was an interesting time." © Brother_None

vv221
Adventurer

Post by vv221 » January 19th, 2016, 11:30 am

Firkraag wrote:BTW, say what you want, but lore aside, that blade was amazing!
I’ll have to trust you on this one ;)
I found the whole inventory of this vendor so silly that I just pretended she wasn’t there at all…

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » January 19th, 2016, 12:43 pm

Firkraag wrote:I remember someone asking about it here or on user voice and was answered, that references probably won't obvious.
Second post, this very thread.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » January 19th, 2016, 1:13 pm

=)))
"I am a warhead of weaponized Truth." The Last Castoff (non-canon).

"Colin's period as Jesus was an interesting time." © Brother_None

Ostonson
Initiate

Post by Ostonson » January 26th, 2016, 5:04 am

Rule of Three, name Adahn and many more fanservice, not to mention post-modern references to all kind of things, from Star Wars to don Quixote... That was not bad, but sometimes was out of logic, like this smuggler-type charachter that wanted to save his so-called "friend" from execution. He just charges in to Castoff and make a proposition to break the law... That's strange kind of behaviour from every perspective, - to ask someone that you don't really know to do that kind of things. But that's Lando, right, how can you refuse...

Biggrin
Novice

Post by Biggrin » January 26th, 2016, 8:23 am

Weh thas gotta av a nod to Ravel, av one o er incarnations turn up somewhere, just make it subtle like in Heart o Winter an IWD2. Know a few folk didnae spot that, needed pointin out.