Parallels with Mass Effect (spoiler)

For discussing Torment's story as it slowly gets unveiled, as well as discussing the game's setting. Ninth World discussions encouraged. Spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

Omeganian
Initiate

Parallels with Mass Effect (spoiler)

Post by Omeganian » September 22nd, 2017, 10:48 pm

I just finished the game a second time (with Oom in my party). Did anyone else find the Sorrow's background similar to the Catalyst? I mean, an artificial god created to help a civilization solve an inherent problem, so it solves it by destroying the civilization and then hunting down anyone who tries to walk their path. In the end, it reveals its motives and background to the protagonist (who just forced an overly curious researcher into suicide), and puts some not too pleasant choices before him.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Re: Parallels with Mass Effect (spoiler)

Post by Gizmo » September 23rd, 2017, 1:17 am

Cryptomnesia?

Jozape
Explorer

Post by Jozape » September 23rd, 2017, 6:29 am

Omeganian wrote:
September 22nd, 2017, 10:48 pm
I just finished the game a second time (with Oom in my party). Did anyone else find the Sorrow's background similar to the Catalyst? I mean, an artificial god created to help a civilization solve an inherent problem, so it solves it by destroying the civilization and then hunting down anyone who tries to walk their path. In the end, it reveals its motives and background to the protagonist (who just forced an overly curious researcher into suicide), and puts some not too pleasant choices before him.
Sure, they're both practically unstoppable "guardians" with maybe good intentions but with crazy conclusions. In other stories they might be called gods. You'll find similarities to many other stories beyond Mass Effect's. From role-playing games specifically another one that comes to mind is Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer with whatever the god's name was with the wall. You couldn't stop that god though, or even try.

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » September 24th, 2017, 9:57 am

Jozape wrote:
September 23rd, 2017, 6:29 am
You couldn't stop that god though, or even try.
In a larger context of the setting, Kelemvor (god on the wall) is just an employee of another douchebag, Overgod Ao, who made up all the stupid rules in Forgottenb Realms and is willing to punish everyone for transgressions of the few.

So, any kind of change on this scale is pretty much unenforceable, even if you could beat up the Kelemvor (30 levels isn't quite enough).

Blame Ed Greenwood for thinking it was a great idea (Not Mask of the Betrayer stuff, the whole setting). Guy loves his gods.
Last edited by Firkraag on September 25th, 2017, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am a warhead of weaponized Truth." The Last Castoff (non-canon).

"Colin's period as Jesus was an interesting time." © Brother_None

Jozape
Explorer

Post by Jozape » September 24th, 2017, 11:37 am

Firkraag wrote:
September 24th, 2017, 9:57 am
Blame Ed Greenwood for thinking it was a great idea. Guy loves his gods.
It can be! You can evidently squeeze some great stories out of such a premise with a little deconstruction. In the end the game was a let down from a role-playing perspective, at least for me. The writing lead me to believe my character could try to take down the wall but backed off at the last minute. I would have liked to see my character fail and see the consequences of those actions. That's something I appreciated about both Tides of Numenera and Mass Effect. Though the ending where you fight the Sorrow seemed to get a lesser treatment for whatever reason. No consequences of your actions or credits roll, just a game over screen... So there's an aspect Tides of Numenera was a let down.