[ENDING SPOILERS] This game is disappointing beyond belief

For discussing Torment's story as it slowly gets unveiled, as well as discussing the game's setting. Ninth World discussions encouraged. Spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

Rink
Acolyte

Re: [ENDING SPOILERS] This game is disappointing beyond belief

Post by Rink » March 31st, 2017, 3:24 pm

- Every game has several steps to develop the story of the game. With this steps things change. This is normal and happens to every game. I think the main story makes sense and is put together nicely if you find the "missing links" like merecasters etc. I understand that it could be confusing for people that didn't get all the pieces of the puzzle though.
- Cuts are normal, they also happen in every game. That some things have been "promised" because all plans were public and some of those got cut is unfortunate. But maybe people should try to see what they got instead of what they didn't get. I am sure the devs learnt from it as well and would just not tell us about details in future projects, just like we wouldn't see those details in any other game. Just don't forget: this is an indie-game. It has 10% of the budget of the average AAA RPG.
- It is easy to say that you would have liked a 3 sentence summary of plot better than the twists and turns we got presented in the game, but would they really have made for a better game? Go ahead, write it yourself and we will find out if it is any better in 30 hours of mainstory. Imho if you really want to compare, then compare the main story of ToN to the story of other RPGs (including P:T, if you can't remember, go to Wiki to read the main plot). Not so bad anymore? Good.

In general I think that people here in the forum seem overly critical (well maybe that was to be expected :D) and seem to have a weird opinion about P:T. Go back and play it and then come here and we talk again on ToN in terms of graphics, pathfinding, combat, the quality of the writing, bugs etc. That's fine, you guys can go and play other games that suit your taste. Maybe my perception is not the one of the majority, but I do pity you guys that don't like ToN. For me it was the best experience in gaming in a very long time and I am hoping to see more of it.
--------------------------------------------------------
You can't stay young - but you can refuse to grow old.

ljs
Initiate

Post by ljs » March 31st, 2017, 8:22 pm

There is nothing wrong with being an omniwore and getting satisfaction from a raw products, carrion and, well...other substances :) But TToN was announced as a fine cuisine, which, alas, it is not.

Akagi
Initiate

Post by Akagi » April 5th, 2017, 11:38 am

This is the private msg on kickstarter i've received from inXile more than a year ago :
I do understand your concern about the release date. When we received 4x the funding that we initially requested on Kickstarter, that had some implications for the scope and size of the game, as well as the level of polish in terms of art and so on. We are delivering a much bigger and more fleshed out game than what we could have done with our minimum Kickstarter goal, but that has pushed the game's date back as a result.
Big words, but where did the money go in the end? Scam.

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » April 5th, 2017, 12:36 pm

Akagi wrote:
April 5th, 2017, 11:38 am
In all the research, writing, world building, design, art, coding, testing, translation, ... that were necessary to make such a deliciously weird and awesome game as TTON ?

Manaleak
Initiate

Post by Manaleak » April 6th, 2017, 6:46 am

And sometimes, it's not the amount of words that counts, but their quality.
I finished the game once in english and then started again and switched to my native language to check if there was anything i misunderstood... The french translation was messed up big time.
For instance sometimes they switched the white bold font of dialogue with the grey font of description. Sometimes the last sentence of the description ends up in The Last Castoff's answear options somehow... "Construct" doesn't mean shit in french and yet they kept it this way, and you cannot make puns with the tongue beeing called "the Truth" and yet they managed to translate it litteraly (and it does not make sense, at all.)

(though the "bloom" being called "biophage" in french is pretty cool in my opinion)

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » April 6th, 2017, 3:58 pm

kilobug wrote:
April 5th, 2017, 12:36 pm
Akagi wrote:
April 5th, 2017, 11:38 am
In all the research, writing, world building, design, art, coding, testing, translation, ... that were necessary to make such a deliciously weird and awesome game as TTON ?
I agree that all the money went into writing, world building, design, art, etc... The novellas were pretty good and the world building was amazing.
The actual game was not very good at all. When you go buy a pizza and it taste like shit, it taste like shit. It doesn't matter how nice the box is or how wonderful the ads are for it. So I'm on the fence with regard to whether or not this could be considered a scam. It certainly wasn't what they promised us and even then it still wasn't a decent game. I don't see how you could work on it for 4 years and release it in that state. I honestly think they were too busy working on other games to give TToN the time of day.

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » April 7th, 2017, 12:31 am

anonymous6059 wrote:
April 6th, 2017, 3:58 pm
The actual game was not very good at all.
Well, we disagree on that, perhaps because we were not looking for the same things in it. What I was looking in TTON is, like in Torment, a game with an awesome and weird (but yet self-consistent) world, full of little details, with original and thought-provoking story and quests, and interesting NPCs... and that's what we got. All the rest, the combat gameplay and choice of classes and ... is very secondary in a Torment game, and actually, apart from being too easy, it's quite well done in TTON, better than the boring repetitive combat of PST in my taste.
anonymous6059 wrote:
April 6th, 2017, 3:58 pm
I don't see how you could work on it for 4 years and release it in that state. I honestly think they were too busy working on other games to give TToN the time of day.
That state ? The game works very smoothly with few bugs, which is rare for such a complex RPG, and while there was some cut content, if we didn't know about them from following the dev (which we couldn't for PST), we actually wouldn't feel them (unlike PST).

As for "too busy working on other games" that's a ridiculous assertion, TTON definitely received lots and lots of work, perhaps not priorized as you wished (you might have preferred more in the gameplay and less on worldbuilding, I'm glad they did it that way), but all the tons of little details in the game, as well as the relatively bug-free state really feel that lots of love and care and work has been put into it.

Sashka loves Evan
Initiate

Post by Sashka loves Evan » April 16th, 2017, 9:32 am

I liked it, am on 4th play through, getting different endings, etc, I only wish we could go to whats on map, I paid for the edition w/the armor so I'm kinda bummed I can't check out the oasis and other places mentioned in game and on the map

Sure beats cruddy $75 mass effect andromeda, which had the worst ending of any game I ever played, seriously, Torment is 2000 times better, if you tried andromeda, you'd be praising Torment O_o

Valrog
Initiate

Post by Valrog » April 26th, 2017, 12:42 pm

I don't agree with most of the criticism. The game's pretty good. it doesn't seem short to me and there's a lot of replayability. I really enjoyed the meres and exploring and figuring out the alien technology.

The only serious gripe I have is that the companions are really very awful, to the point of being irritating. I can't remember a game in which the companions were so bad. I wish they'd improved the existing characters instead of wasting time and effort to add one more character which can be expected to be just as bad as the existing ones. What's the point?

If they could redo and retouch some characters to make them less irritating, that'd make me very happy. Oh, and fixing some of the bugs would help too.