Thoughts on Torment Novellas

For discussing Torment's story as it slowly gets unveiled, as well as discussing the game's setting. Ninth World discussions encouraged. Spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Re: Thoughts on Torment Novellas

Postby anonymous6059 » November 26th, 2016, 6:29 am

Grammar mistake from The last days of Archopalasia
So far I'm absolutely loving the blue novella. I'm about 3/4 of the way through the book and wanted to point out a spelling error, well more like a missing word perhaps.

Chapter 19- "But as he pulled back, suddenly a great wedge of door tipped forward, and he had to dance back to avoid being crushed ** it."
I'm pretty sure the word *by* is missing from the sentence above.

Shoitaan
Initiate

Postby Shoitaan » February 9th, 2017, 7:35 pm

Loved: Indigo, Gold, Blue
Loved everything about Indigo. From the journey, to the characters to the ending. Loved it to absolute bits.
Gold was my first exposure to the Numenera world and a fantastic one to boot. Loved the sense of mystery, the hint of danger and the climax was quite satisfying.
Blue was fantastic. I thought it was dragging slightly in some parts but perhaps that was just me. The ending was absolutely fantastic and I feel really set the tone of the world for me.

Liked: Red
Would have preferred a more satisfying ending. The 'betrayal' if you feel was entirely expected but not the issue. Something about the entire last third just seemed off. Didn't really grab me at all. I feel like the story ended a touch too early. Needed... a bit more somehow. Dangling strings at the end of the story is fine but this felt like it was too much left hanging. Just needed... 'more' to me.

Underwhelmed: Silver
I think Silver is hard to write towards. I can't imagine even playing naturally towards silver. Feels like something you'd have to concentrate to staying on the path off. The story was interesting-ish till the bloom. Then I lost my interest a bit. Although I don't think I was super satisfied from the lake encounter either. The final confrontation was also not as grabbing as I would have expected. Which surprised me, it's like the elements are there but perhaps I didn't spend enough time with the villain to hate her properly. Not sure. The whole thing just didn't do it for me.

Posted this on reddit, will post here (Re: Palimpsest)
Anyone else a bit disappointed in it? Coming from the man himself I was expecting something... different. Not only was it quite short, I didn't particularly enjoy the writing. The storytelling nature of it felt quite forced. Part of the guy being a storyteller is important to the character development sure. But the way the story was being told itself was.. unrealistic? Like stuff was being told that wouldn't necessary be covered in a verbally told story. That's fine. Tell it like a normal story instead of forcing the verbal retelling framing device and suddenly it fits. But sadly... Dunno. The whole thing just didn't work for me. I've read Delos Claiborne which was felt like a more natural story being told although this was like 10+years ago so maybe I don't remember it that well.
Oh well, not all novellas will be winners I guess.

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Postby anonymous6059 » February 11th, 2017, 7:02 am

Shoitaan wrote:Posted this on reddit, will post here (Re: Palimpsest)
Anyone else a bit disappointed in it? Coming from the man himself I was expecting something... different. Not only was it quite short, I didn't particularly enjoy the writing. The storytelling nature of it felt quite forced. Part of the guy being a storyteller is important to the character development sure. But the way the story was being told itself was.. unrealistic? Like stuff was being told that wouldn't necessary be covered in a verbally told story. That's fine. Tell it like a normal story instead of forcing the verbal retelling framing device and suddenly it fits. But sadly... Dunno. The whole thing just didn't work for me. I've read Delos Claiborne which was felt like a more natural story being told although this was like 10+years ago so maybe I don't remember it that well.

I still haven't had time to read this one yet. I appreciate you taking the time to let us know what you thought though.
I'd like to know if the novella has any relation to The Last Castoff or anything going on in the story in any way at all. I will be really disappointed if Monte Cook couldn't take one evening to hash out something relevant to the game with Inxile as the plot for his novella. Even if it isn't good I'll be okay with that. Most of the novellas were good, so I can accept if Monte doesn't give his full attention here. I will not be okay with him completely ignoring all the lore and work that Colin McComb has done.

Colin has added some really rich lore to the game. I liked the Numenera setting before. I love it now. I'm shocked that MCG didn't focus more on what Colin has created. The Exporer's guide was rather lackluster. it just feels like they really missed a great opportunity.

Shoitaan
Initiate

Postby Shoitaan » February 11th, 2017, 8:28 pm

anonymous6059 wrote:
Shoitaan wrote:Posted this on reddit, will post here (Re: Palimpsest)

I still haven't had time to read this one yet. I appreciate you taking the time to let us know what you thought though.
I'd like to know if the novella has any relation to The Last Castoff or anything going on in the story in any way at all. I will be really disappointed if Monte Cook couldn't take one evening to hash out something relevant to the game with Inxile as the plot for his novella. Even if it isn't good I'll be okay with that. Most of the novellas were good, so I can accept if Monte doesn't give his full attention here. I will not be okay with him completely ignoring all the lore and work that Colin McComb has done.

Colin has added some really rich lore to the game. I liked the Numenera setting before. I love it now. I'm shocked that MCG didn't focus more on what Colin has created. The Exporer's guide was rather lackluster. it just feels like they really missed a great opportunity.

Can't comment on the other material as I don't have any access to Numenera materials outside of the Novellas and this game. As for the question about the link to the main game, just as in the other novels I think there is none. Some information follows if you want to know more about loose connections to the game.

A castoff (not the last castoff) is a major character in the second half of story. I think a brief glimpse of an image of the changing god via an old machine is hinted although it's impossible to be sure IMO. That's about it. Some locations in the game are mentioned, notably Bloom.

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Postby anonymous6059 » February 12th, 2017, 3:46 am

Shoitaan wrote:Can't comment on the other material as I don't have any access to Numenera materials outside of the Novellas and this game. As for the question about the link to the main game, just as in the other novels I think there is none. Some information follows if you want to know more about loose connections to the game.

A castoff (not the last castoff) is a major character in the second half of story. I think a brief glimpse of an image of the changing god via an old machine is hinted although it's impossible to be sure IMO. That's about it. Some locations in the game are mentioned, notably Bloom.

That is all I wanted to know. All of the novellas are related to the story so I'm happy. I didn't mean that they are directly involved the main storyline. They are all related to the world that Colin McComb created though. They all enhance the story. You will run into characters that were in direct relation with events from the novellas.

As even if it isn't all that good, I'm happy he at least worked it into the mythos.

Return to “TTON: Story Discussion [Spoilers]”