Updated our Journal (31): Starting to Ramp Up

Announcements & media coverage for Torment: Tides of Numenera. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

Brother None
Developer

Updated our Journal (31): Starting to Ramp Up

Post by Brother None » June 12th, 2014, 11:40 am

Update 31 speaks to Torment's timeline and current production status, as well as offering some new lore.
So, where are we on Torment then? During the last week of our Kickstarter, we had adjusted our target launch date to the first half of 2015. And last December, in Update 27, I mentioned that timeline was still feasible, but that Torment’s schedule remained in flux until all became clear with Wasteland 2. Wasteland 2’s success in Early Access allowed us to spend more time improving it, which also meant we had more time in preproduction on Torment. We’ve had more time to prototype, improve tools, iterate on our processes, etc. before entering full production. This has been a great thing for everything... except for our release date.

Now that we have a more certain roll-off plan for the production team from Wasteland to Torment, we’re better able to predict the shape of our schedule. And, as you may have guessed, the first half of 2015 isn't realistic anymore and we’re looking at the fourth quarter of 2015.

You may wonder how we can extend TTON’s development for a year longer than planned. By running a small core team during the preproduction phase, we have been extremely efficient in developing the foundation and the pipeline for the game – we make decisions more quickly, and we’ll have set a strong vision to help eliminate uncertainty. This will help us make fewer mistakes as the full team ramps up. One year following TTON’s Kickstarter, more than 80% of the development budget remained, so we have a lot of firepower for our production, beta, and finalization phases.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

dorkboy
Master

Re: Updated our Journal (31): Starting to Ramp Up

Post by dorkboy » June 12th, 2014, 10:15 pm

q4 '15. yeah, that sounds more plausible. love these lore updates, btw. :)
marmelade & jam

skin
Novice

Post by skin » June 12th, 2014, 11:13 pm

I won't be satisfied until i see some painted 2d backgrounds.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » June 12th, 2014, 11:22 pm

I hope that the TToN team take the bold step of rendering all the 2D maps at 1920x1080 resolution, so you need a minimum monitor resolution of 1920x1080 to run the game. Above that resolution the game will simply increase viewable map size. It's 2014 after all, sometimes technology needs a kick start.

Pillars of Eternity stopped short of rendering at 1080p, and instead went for 720p, which is disappointing.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

paradox-fi
Scholar

Post by paradox-fi » June 13th, 2014, 1:28 am

Nice update, thanks.

It would be nice to know the current status of the novella compilation, though. I remember that Colin's and Monte's separate novellas were said to come later, but the other five might be almost ready to be released, right? This is a handy page:

http://tormentrpg.tumblr.com/reward-status

, but I think it hasn't been updated in a while.