Torment External News Thread

Announcements & media coverage for Torment: Tides of Numenera. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

Brother None
Developer

Re: Torment External News Thread

Post by Brother None » November 18th, 2014, 2:53 pm

So yeah we recently had a visit of us long-distance workers to the studio. Second such visit where we're all together (though third time for both me and Adam in the studio). MCA and Nathan Long often use the opportunity to drop by too (not Chris this time). Was great to see everyone again, few new faces, cool to be there now with everyone rolling into this project, awesome to meet George Ziets for the first time, was really impressed by him. In general really impressed by the quality of people. These visits are great to get everyone on the same page, brainstorm and polish design, TTON is shaping up great!
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Azmodiuz
Acolyte

Post by Azmodiuz » January 15th, 2015, 12:45 am

you know, its about time we get an update, its been awhile. Also, when is the beta going live ?>

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » January 15th, 2015, 9:22 am

Working on an update though it may be a while before it goes out. Everyone is very occupied with other things.

Beta is still a long way out, we're only a short ways into full production.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Adam Heine
Acolyte

Post by Adam Heine » January 15th, 2015, 4:28 pm

Azmodiuz wrote:when is the beta going live ?
Brother None wrote:Beta is still a long way out, we're only a short ways into full production.
But if you mean the alpha systems test (which we talked about in the last update), we should have news on that soonish.
Adam Heine
Torment Design Lead

Caerdon
Scholar

Post by Caerdon » January 15th, 2015, 6:21 pm

Adam Heine wrote:
Azmodiuz wrote:when is the beta going live ?
Brother None wrote:Beta is still a long way out, we're only a short ways into full production.
But if you mean the alpha systems test (which we talked about in the last update), we should have news on that soonish.
If that doesn't happen within the next 24 hours, I will frown in your general direction!

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » January 15th, 2015, 11:37 pm

After the whole thing with WL2 I am absolutely definitely not going to be participating in any alpha, beta or test, I am just going to wait till full version. Nothing against WL2, but that I got utterly bored with the first half of the game after playing it through so many times.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » January 17th, 2015, 4:28 pm

Aye... Altho it was interesting to see the iterations in action.

But I won't participate in an RPG beta again I think. You lose too many "interesting elements".

Might jump n just to see things like combat etc but real minimum.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » January 19th, 2015, 1:23 am

For myself I would not play much a RPG in beta, because it does spoil the final experience (that's not as true with other games, like TBS) but I would play a few minutes to ensure two things : first the technical part, ie, it works smoothly on my system and help debugging driver-related issues and similar if there are any, and then for the general "look and feel", give feedback about the UI and such.

But since betatesting is done on Steam nowadays and I don't like Steam, it's pure theoretical anyway ;)

dorkboy
Master

Post by dorkboy » January 19th, 2015, 5:13 am

Yeah, I can't say I regret having resisted the temptation to participate in the SitS and PoE betas.
Not just in terms of spoilers/world freshness, but also in terms of systems, bugs and perceived flaws - it's nice not going in with the "I can't believe they still haven't fixed that" mindset. ;)

Tempting, though. Very tempting.
marmelade & jam

Azmodiuz
Acolyte

Post by Azmodiuz » January 19th, 2015, 1:48 pm

Well thats cool, a response IS technically an update XD

I think it would be neat if the ALPHA and BETA testers had a little etxra something when they start the game, to compensate for what immersion they are lacking and have something to look forward to, at the beginning again, also, would be an easy $$$ sink.

I propose, in character creation - backers/beta/alpha testers should be able to choose cloths. Nothing too drastic, no abilities here, but wouldn't it be nice to have a matching set of boots, gloves, hoody and cape and pants and shirt.

Don't we all hate it when our characters do not LOOK the way we wish them, throughout the entire game we play. I always hated that, and its been an utmost pet peave.

This would get people on the bandwagon. IMO.

Blacky
Explorer

Post by Blacky » January 29th, 2015, 10:23 am

Azmodiuz wrote:I propose, in character creation - backers/beta/alpha testers should be able to choose cloths.
You should, with the Red boots DLC.
Chez Blacky, jdr et autres
If things make sense in a real-world sense, I don’t think people give too much flak for it not being game-y enough, I think keeping the world sense together is the most important thing we can be doing.—Brian Fargo

Caerdon
Scholar

Post by Caerdon » January 29th, 2015, 8:30 pm

Azmodiuz wrote:I think it would be neat if the ALPHA and BETA testers had a little etxra something when they start the game, to compensate for what immersion they are lacking and have something to look forward to, at the beginning again, also, would be an easy $$$ sink.
I absolutely don't want any special "benefits" from being an alpha tester. I don't want to be "rewarded" by making the game easier for me, and if we're talking about some cosmetic/convenience/customization stuff, that should be shared with all game owners.

Maybe that's just me, though.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » January 29th, 2015, 10:39 pm

Caerdon wrote:I absolutely don't want any special "benefits" from being an alpha tester. I don't want to be "rewarded" by making the game easier for me, and if we're talking about some cosmetic/convenience/customization stuff, that should be shared with all game owners.

Maybe that's just me, though.
Not just you. Good man.

vv221
Adventurer

Post by vv221 » January 31st, 2015, 6:46 am

Caerdon wrote:I absolutely don't want any special "benefits" from being an alpha tester. I don't want to be "rewarded" by making the game easier for me, and if we're talking about some cosmetic/convenience/customization stuff, that should be shared with all game owners.
vv221’s Seal of Approval

ZonkerBrainless
Explorer

Post by ZonkerBrainless » February 23rd, 2015, 8:28 am

I participated in the WL2 beta mainly because I was starving for something good to play and it provided that, bugs and all.

For Torment I think I will be more patient. God knows I've waited what, 20 years for this? I can wait a little longer.

ZonkerBrainless
Explorer

Post by ZonkerBrainless » February 23rd, 2015, 9:37 am

Interesting (about the "Tides" idea). A lot of the "new weird" fiction coming out today has abandoned the whole Western "white hat/black hat" approach to story telling and adopted a more realistic "faction" dynamic. Like Bacigalupi's "Windup Girl." Or China Mieville's "Perdido Street Station." Also I think Priest's "Boneshaker."

There's no good guys and bad guys, just different interest groups trying to represent their constituents as best as they are able. In Perdido Street Station the true "bad guys" are elemental forces of nature with no ethical motivations whatsoever. Kinda like the aliens in Aliens vs. Predator.

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » March 24th, 2015, 10:54 am

Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Azmodiuz
Acolyte

Post by Azmodiuz » May 6th, 2015, 7:53 am

I feel, the lack of hype and information about Torment has made anticipation for this game slowly die out, since PoE was not as great as it was supposed to be, interest in TToN has died slowly too. Updates are too infrequesnt.

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » May 6th, 2015, 11:25 am

Azmodiuz wrote:I feel, the lack of hype and information about Torment has made anticipation for this game slowly die out, since PoE was not as great as it was supposed to be, interest in TToN has died slowly too. Updates are too infrequesnt.
PoE was pretty good, and im still hyped for this game.

i kinda expected InXile to be relatively silent about the game, i mean i could use with more updates thats for sure. but i will wait patiently :)