Torment External News Thread

Announcements & media coverage for Torment: Tides of Numenera. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

GavinJF
Acolyte

Re: Torment External News Thread

Post by GavinJF » September 26th, 2016, 1:18 pm

He ain't kidding. This is what the schedule was like for the one day Colin and I were in the same building:

1. Meetings.
2. Meetings.
3. Other meetings.
4. Coffee break.
5. Urgent meeting.
6. It was then 6 or 7 or something.
7. "Oh, wow. The camera isn't charging at all."
8. "Does anyone have a phone with a working camera? Mine's dead."
9. "Okay, let's record."
10. "What do you mean it wasn't recording?"
11. "We need to answer that question again. I was saying "sandwiches" instead of "gameplay" because it's dinnertime and I want sandwiches."
12. "Did I say sandwiches again? I thought so."

And that's just the day of filming. That whole week was nuts.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » October 5th, 2016, 7:09 am

Today we've got a brand new trailer for Torment, introducing the Ninth World and showing you some of the game's father reaches. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyLFgmsVhSQ

sear
Developer

Post by sear » November 16th, 2016, 8:57 am

We have a new trailer series rolling out showcasing the different Types in Torment! Our first one is for the Nano - we'll have more coming soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffP1ZIgXI74

sear
Developer

Post by sear » November 23rd, 2016, 7:52 am

Our second trailer for the Glaive is here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbfKgC-8u8M

sear
Developer

Post by sear » November 30th, 2016, 11:26 am

And here is our final trailer for the Jack!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI22AtL8bSU

sear
Developer

Post by sear » December 12th, 2016, 11:25 am

Colin will be doing a Q&A session on Thursday! Feel free to leave him your questions in the Facebook comments over here: https://www.facebook.com/Torment.inXile ... =3&theater

sear
Developer

Post by sear » December 15th, 2016, 8:04 am

Colin's live stream should be going up over here pretty soon!

https://www.facebook.com/Torment.inXile/

EDIT: LIVE! :D

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » January 11th, 2017, 10:32 pm

Y'all got mentioned by Outside XBox in their "7 Games for 2017 You Didn't Know You Need in Your Life".
Alwa nasci korliri das.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » January 12th, 2017, 12:17 pm

Today we're pleased to debut a special new Torment trailer. Hosted by Creative Lead Colin McComb, this one lets you play through the various options in one of the side-quests found early in the game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfp4Lqdsx84

Note that video annotations don't work on mobile, so we recommend you watch this on a desktop computer or laptop if you can!

RadonGOG
Scholar

Post by RadonGOG » January 12th, 2017, 1:34 pm

sear wrote:Today we're pleased to debut a special new Torment trailer. Hosted by Creative Lead Colin McComb, this one lets you play through the various options in one of the side-quests found early in the game!

Note that video annotations don't work on mobile, so we recommend you watch this on a desktop computer or laptop if you can!
An awesome way to promote the game! :D

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » January 12th, 2017, 2:08 pm

sear wrote:Today we're pleased to debut a special new Torment trailer. Hosted by Creative Lead Colin McComb, this one lets you play through the various options in one of the side-quests found early in the game!

This is really interesting indeed. It makes me wonder though if anyone has ever done a interactive gamebook in this fashion. I don't think I've ever seen a youtube video like this before.

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » January 13th, 2017, 2:18 am

After a while I stopped watching any and all Torment trailers, because a) I already know, the game looks gorgeous from the first bunch of trailers, b) they spoil potentially breath taking locations later in a game, c) trailer after trailer after trailer feels, like uncertain and aggressive advertisement. (even if it's working to bring all necessary attention)

I'll save it and probably watch later.
"I am a warhead of weaponized Truth." The Last Castoff (non-canon).

"Colin's period as Jesus was an interesting time." © Brother_None

kaiman
Scholar

Post by kaiman » January 13th, 2017, 10:44 am

anonymous6059 wrote:This is really interesting indeed. It makes me wonder though if anyone has ever done a interactive gamebook in this fashion. I don't think I've ever seen a youtube video like this before.
Agree, it's really neat, and Colin's narration fits wonderfully.

But when it comes to computerized gamebooks, I doubt that video is the right format. In my book, inkle with their 80 Days or Sorcery! clearly figured out how to do gamebooks right :-).

Aramintai
Scholar

Post by Aramintai » January 13th, 2017, 10:59 am

This trailer teaches us that telling the truth in this game is bad. Seriously though, some pseudo choices in this quest were dead ends with no rewards so I wouldn't call that a good writing. Devs just put them there to give an illusion of more choices.

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » January 13th, 2017, 7:30 pm

kaiman wrote:
anonymous6059 wrote:This is really interesting indeed. It makes me wonder though if anyone has ever done a interactive gamebook in this fashion. I don't think I've ever seen a youtube video like this before.
Agree, it's really neat, and Colin's narration fits wonderfully.

But when it comes to computerized gamebooks, I doubt that video is the right format. In my book, inkle with their 80 Days or Sorcery! clearly figured out how to do gamebooks right :-).
I actually really badly wish that Inxile would release a Sorcery! type Inkle edition of TToN. TToN reminds me so much of a Gamebook, plus I'd just love to be able to play the game on any standard smart phone. They could even do a whole separate Kickstarter just to raise the money to make the artwork and pay someone to recode the game. Honestly I think it would even be a better game.

Sorcery! by Inkle is amazingly wonderful. It has really got me interested in Gamebooks, something that I was just barely to young to have experienced.
Last edited by anonymous6059 on January 13th, 2017, 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » January 13th, 2017, 7:32 pm

Aramintai wrote:

This trailer teaches us that telling the truth in this game is bad. Seriously though, some pseudo choices in this quest were dead ends with no rewards so I wouldn't call that a good writing. Devs just put them there to give an illusion of more choices.
Yeah, I have to admit they really picked a horrible quest to do this with. I immediately ran into a dead end on the first choice. How exactly is that showing the depth of the game? If anything I was secretly a little ashamed. I mean if that is how "deep" my choices run this game is in serious trouble. Sure, neat way to show off the game. Terrible quest to do it with.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » January 14th, 2017, 3:58 am

Aramintai wrote:This trailer teaches us that telling the truth in this game is bad. Seriously though, some pseudo choices in this quest were dead ends with no rewards so I wouldn't call that a good writing. Devs just put them there to give an illusion of more choices.
Eh - if you are only playing for gold and xp, you're doing it wrong.

That said, I am clearly going to miss a lot of content in this game. Walking up to a complete stranger, I have no motivation to immediately deceive him unless I've decided to do a "pathological liar" playthrough. So I guess that dude will just stay in his cage and there will be no callbacks down the road?

Aramintai
Scholar

Post by Aramintai » January 14th, 2017, 4:17 am

Zombra wrote: Eh - if you are only playing for gold and xp, you're doing it wrong.
I don't think so. I can't say I'm really a power gamer but players must have satisfaction of doing anything in the game, especially if it's an RPG and this is clearly a quest. It's gaming psychology 101. And rewards usually come in the form of more power to the player - XP, money, new abilities, items etc. In this game I'd even take as a reward some useful information that may come in handy later or different continuation of this quest later on if I don't do it right away. But there is none it seems. So failing a quest without giving a second chance (for example, go to the Order of Truth and actually join them then come back later) or any recompense just because a wrong dialogue option was chosen (or deception failed) is a poor design choice, especially nowadays. It encourages savescumming.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » January 14th, 2017, 4:39 am

Aramintai wrote:
Zombra wrote:Eh - if you are only playing for gold and xp, you're doing it wrong.
I don't think so. I can't say I'm really a power gamer but players must have satisfaction of doing anything in the game, especially if it's an RPG and this is clearly a quest. It's gaming psychology 101.
Shrug, if you want to play like a rat in a cage, pushing the lever hoping to get a pellet, that's up to you.

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » January 14th, 2017, 4:53 am

Zombra wrote:
Aramintai wrote:
Zombra wrote:Eh - if you are only playing for gold and xp, you're doing it wrong.
I don't think so. I can't say I'm really a power gamer but players must have satisfaction of doing anything in the game, especially if it's an RPG and this is clearly a quest. It's gaming psychology 101.
Shrug, if you want to play like a rat in a cage, pushing the lever hoping to get a pellet, that's up to you.
Either way how is this quest the hallmark of TToN? You either accept the quest and get it or you run into a dead end. That doesn't express deep meaningful choices. That is just you simply missing out on part of the game.

Example: You come up to a fork in the road. Will you go right or left?
A: You've decided to go right, oh sorry the right path is blocked please try again.
B: You continue on your journey congratulations!