Torment External News Thread

Announcements & media coverage for Torment: Tides of Numenera. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

Zombra
Global Moderator

Re: Torment External News Thread

Post by Zombra » January 14th, 2017, 11:39 am

Completely agree, anonyous6059. I am okay with missing quests, but that first crossroads is unimpressive ... unless there is some kind of cool impact down the road for leaving things as they are. As it stands, it looks like only one choice on the first "page" is at all interesting.

RadonGOG
Scholar

Post by RadonGOG » January 14th, 2017, 2:14 pm

Aramintai wrote:
sear wrote:Today we're pleased to debut a special new Torment trailer. Hosted by Creative Lead Colin McComb, this one lets you play through the various options in one of the side-quests found early in the game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfp4Lqdsx84

Note that video annotations don't work on mobile, so we recommend you watch this on a desktop computer or laptop if you can!
This trailer teaches us that telling the truth in this game is bad. (...)/quote]
The trailer teaches us that in this specific situation, telling the truth won´t hurt anybody, but doesn´t give you something to work with. We don´t even know if there isn´t another way like joining that order first and approaching Beliazar afterwards!
BTW: Shouldn´t telling the truth in such a situation grant you a little bonus in Indigo?
anonymous6059 wrote:
Either way how is this quest the hallmark of TToN? You either accept the quest and get it or you run into a dead end. That doesn't express deep meaningful choices. That is just you simply missing out on part of the game.

Example: You come up to a fork in the road. Will you go right or left?
A: You've decided to go right, oh sorry the right path is blocked please try again.
B: You continue on your journey congratulations!
I guess the quest was one of the few that wouldn´tt spoil anything, yet gave us lots of imaginative potential. Anyways, I do agree to you that the beginning isn´t very cool and really mirrors your fork-situation!

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » January 15th, 2017, 10:19 am

RadonGOG wrote:
Aramintai wrote:
sear wrote:Today we're pleased to debut a special new Torment trailer. Hosted by Creative Lead Colin McComb, this one lets you play through the various options in one of the side-quests found early in the game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfp4Lqdsx84

Note that video annotations don't work on mobile, so we recommend you watch this on a desktop computer or laptop if you can!
This trailer teaches us that telling the truth in this game is bad. (...)/quote]
The trailer teaches us that in this specific situation, telling the truth won´t hurt anybody, but doesn´t give you something to work with. We don´t even know if there isn´t another way like joining that order first and approaching Beliazar afterwards!
BTW: Shouldn´t telling the truth in such a situation grant you a little bonus in Indigo?
anonymous6059 wrote:
Either way how is this quest the hallmark of TToN? You either accept the quest and get it or you run into a dead end. That doesn't express deep meaningful choices. That is just you simply missing out on part of the game.

Example: You come up to a fork in the road. Will you go right or left?
A: You've decided to go right, oh sorry the right path is blocked please try again.
B: You continue on your journey congratulations!
I guess the quest was one of the few that wouldn´tt spoil anything, yet gave us lots of imaginative potential. Anyways, I do agree to you that the beginning isn´t very cool and really mirrors your fork-situation!
I do remember reading somewhere that Colin McComb has love for the Nychthemeron and mandated that it would be in the game or else. Rumor has it he only accepted the job under these conditions, j/k. Seriously, i do remember him talking about that creature as if it were his own child. So I think he really just wanted to show off his favorite creature. I don't blame him for that. It looks cool and everything. I just don't think he realized how bad it looks as a representation of what makes TToN great. Hopefully 70% of quest are not like this one. Please, don't let them all be like this one. :?

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » January 15th, 2017, 9:12 pm

Zombra wrote:
Aramintai wrote:
Zombra wrote:Eh - if you are only playing for gold and xp, you're doing it wrong.
I don't think so. I can't say I'm really a power gamer but players must have satisfaction of doing anything in the game, especially if it's an RPG and this is clearly a quest. It's gaming psychology 101.
Shrug, if you want to play like a rat in a cage, pushing the lever hoping to get a pellet, that's up to you.
Is that despite all your rage? ;)
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Infinitron
Adventurer

Post by Infinitron » January 19th, 2017, 8:04 am

New trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKapkM49aLs

Hey sea, is there going to be another Kickstarter update soon?

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » January 19th, 2017, 8:57 am

Infinitron wrote:New trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKapkM49aLs
Anyone else find it odd how much focus they keep putting on combat?
I think it is great honestly. I was worried the game wouldn't have enough. I'm also still hoping you can pick fights with the thugs and lots of other NPCs. I just think it is important that combat be completely optional, especially in non-crisis encounters.

Still, it does seem strange that they'd focus on it exclusively like they did in that video. Seems like that would only end up attracting the wrong type of gamers. My guess is, this game has lots of combat or that they just want to sell this thing to anyone and are willing to use deceptive tactics.

That trailer basically says: "This game is all about combat! Look at all the combat you will be doing. Buy me if you like fighting a whole lot." [In a deep manly voice] Then, you buy the game and um you have what 12 combat "crisis" encounters? Like I said, "Yay!!! more combat" I just hope that it's actually true.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » January 19th, 2017, 9:26 am

Infinitron wrote:Hey sea, is there going to be another Kickstarter update soon?
We'll almost definitely have at least one before release.
anonymous6059 wrote:Anyone else find it odd how much focus they keep putting on combat?
Most of our videos thus far have focused on the game's story and world-building elements - heck, we just got done releasing a 14 minute interactive quest trailer. We want to show different sides of the game as much as we can, and that applies to combat, cyphers, etc. as well. :)

Combat and the crisis system are important features of the game. We know that not everyone will play the game that way, but RPGs are all about player choice, and that extends to combat in Torment just as much as exploration, questing and conversations.

RadonGOG
Scholar

Post by RadonGOG » January 20th, 2017, 3:29 am

anonymous6059 wrote:
I think it is great honestly. I was worried the game wouldn't have enough. I'm also still hoping you can pick fights with the thugs and lots of other NPCs. I just think it is important that combat be completely optional, especially in non-crisis encounters.

Still, it does seem strange that they'd focus on it exclusively like they did in that video. Seems like that would only end up attracting the wrong type of gamers. My guess is, this game has lots of combat or that they just want to sell this thing to anyone and are willing to use deceptive tactics.

That trailer basically says: "This game is all about combat! Look at all the combat you will be doing. Buy me if you like fighting a whole lot." [In a deep manly voice] Then, you buy the game and um you have what 12 combat "crisis" encounters? Like I said, "Yay!!! more combat" I just hope that it's actually true.
For me this trailer feels more like "look how clever everything in the game is connected" and they´ve just chosen to pick combat as the starting point.

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » January 20th, 2017, 4:50 am

RadonGOG wrote:
anonymous6059 wrote:

For me this trailer feels more like "look how clever everything in the game is connected" and they´ve just chosen to pick combat as the starting point.
yeah, It does get me a little psyched. I am a little worried that none of these trailers are showing any of the additional PCs though. Anyone know how many companions have been verified?

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » January 20th, 2017, 5:01 am

sear wrote:
Infinitron wrote:Hey sea, is there going to be another Kickstarter update soon?
We'll almost definitely have at least one before release.
anonymous6059 wrote:Anyone else find it odd how much focus they keep putting on combat?
Most of our videos thus far have focused on the game's story and world-building elements - heck, we just got done releasing a 14 minute interactive quest trailer. We want to show different sides of the game as much as we can, and that applies to combat, cyphers, etc. as well. :)

Combat and the crisis system are important features of the game. We know that not everyone will play the game that way, but RPGs are all about player choice, and that extends to combat in Torment just as much as exploration, questing and conversations.
Fine, you're right. I still wish you'd tell me if non-crisis combat exist in the game. please? :(

sear
Developer

Post by sear » January 20th, 2017, 7:07 am

anonymous6059 wrote: Fine, you're right. I still wish you'd tell me if non-crisis combat exist in the game. please? :(
Yes. There are some crises that allow for non-combat approaches (i.e. stealth, negotiations), though I believe all of them potentially can turn into combat depending on how you handle them.

Grohal
Adventurer

Post by Grohal » January 24th, 2017, 2:52 am

Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

fairfax
Novice

Post by fairfax » January 24th, 2017, 9:23 am

sear wrote:
anonymous6059 wrote: Fine, you're right. I still wish you'd tell me if non-crisis combat exist in the game. please? :(
Yes. There are some crises that allow for non-combat approaches (i.e. stealth, negotiations), though I believe all of them potentially can turn into combat depending on how you handle them.
What about Oom and Riastrad?

sear
Developer

Post by sear » February 3rd, 2017, 9:04 am

GOG has just put its preorders for Torment live! https://www.gog.com/news/preorder_torme ... sive_bonus
What can change the nature of role-playing?

Torment: Tides of Numenera, the wildly anticipated spiritual successor to RPG legend Planescape: Torment, is now available for pre-order, DRM-free on GOG.com! Get it now with a GOG-exclusive pre-order bonus: a FREE copy of Lords of Xulima!

Welcome to the Ninth World. Built upon eight previous instances of civilization, it is littered with remnants of powerful technology, whispers of ancient knowledge, and echoes of amazing feats of magic. These Numenera shape the lives of the current generation, giving birth to epic stories, deep, interconnected narratives, and fierce turn-based battles. Cast right in the middle of this overwhelming chaos, you're faced with the ultimate question: what does one life matter?

Delve deeper into the world of Numenera with the extra goodies offered in the Legacy Edition or the Immortal Edition.

Torment: Tides of Numenera is scheduled for release on February 28th.

GOG-Exclusive Pre-Order Bonus

Need some old-school RPG goodness to keep you busy until the game's release? Pre-order Torment: Tides of Numenera on GOG.com and get a FREE copy of Lords of Xulima, available to play right away!

For a limited time, you can also upgrade to Deluxe Edition at 60% off.

Combining isometric exploration with first-person turn-based combat, Lords of Xulima is a rare gem, whose old-school sensibilities are bound to strike a chord with all fans of party-based role-playing. Called a "beautiful homage to the oldest of PC RPGs" by GOG.com users and a game that's "great for serious RPGers", it's the perfect way to make the anticipation for Tides of Numenera all the more bearable.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » February 7th, 2017, 7:13 am

Hey everyone,

Colin will be streaming a let's play of PS:T live with GOG today at 2 PM EDT!

You will be able to check it out here! https://www.twitch.tv/gogcom

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » February 7th, 2017, 9:12 am

Huh. Looking to it.
"I am a warhead of weaponized Truth." The Last Castoff (non-canon).

"Colin's period as Jesus was an interesting time." © Brother_None

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » February 7th, 2017, 9:35 am

sear wrote:Hey everyone,

Colin will be streaming a let's play of PS:T live with GOG today at 2 PM EDT!

You will be able to check it out here! https://www.twitch.tv/gogcom
wow thats a short notice.

Will this be recorded and uploaded somewhere freely accesibly?

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » February 7th, 2017, 10:28 am

Lord of Riva wrote:Will this be recorded and uploaded somewhere freely accesibly?
Yup.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » February 7th, 2017, 10:51 am

Brother None wrote:
Lord of Riva wrote:Will this be recorded and uploaded somewhere freely accesibly?
Yup.
a thanks, sorry i just realized that may have sounded rude/impolite.

thanks, i will look forward to to watching it this weekend ;)