Updated Our Journal #66: Beyond the Beyond

Announcements & media coverage for Torment: Tides of Numenera. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

Jozape
Explorer

Re: Updated Our Journal #66: Beyond the Beyond

Post by Jozape » March 11th, 2017, 1:30 pm

Lord of Riva wrote:so Oom will be in, the game is saved.

That said whats with the foci? thats the last missing piece and those we have are horribly bland.

If thats not an option why not make it a single focus "who is the last castoff" with skills relating to the games story ?
and/or a mixture of the existing skills in the three foci?
I agree. The foci in their current state are a mostly pointless selection.

Tadziomencel
Acolyte

Post by Tadziomencel » March 11th, 2017, 1:46 pm

Glad to hear that more content will be added. However I think that it would be good if you guys decide to include, later on after the changes you announced some other things:
-A little development on the factions in game. The factions in PST were a huge help with presenting the world. One does not need to expand on them greatly but add a quest for joining and 1-3 quests inside plus a way to get some unique gear/ ability because of them.
-More foci. This is really the weak point as this game is strong in replayability, the lack of additional foci limits it somehow. The crazy foci were the strong point of Numenera setting and with only three that cannot be changed the Castoff really is sometimes to most bland member of his team, mechanically, as the companion foci were made to last and LC ones were made to be just the starting ones. You can make the foci connected with the factions even, get some in Sanctuary etc. Adding more Foci will improve the Crises as well.
-Higher level cap. While being a fourth tiered Castoff is powerful already I dislike wasting XP late in the game without being able to improve my character more if I decided to do as many quests as I could. Plus the PnP uses higher XP cap than the game which feels a bit underwhelming. I know the changes made to the system make players more powerful in many ways (for example the effort is more powerful than in PnP) but it would be a nice add-on. But it isn't high on the list.
-Maybe expand a bit on the Player's Labyrinth. The end game portion can be expanded, the stronghold-like capacities as well. But most of all I would like some more optional dungeon exploring more of the game questions. Maybe one gets deeper into it (and unlocks it in the first place) after some 3-5 deaths. This would be optional but very cool.
-Crafting. It doesn't have to be much, but Numenera setting is all about tinkering with what one doesn't know and trying to find more use out of it. If not, well you can add more artifacts and cyphers and bonded items to the game, in time.
-More content of the type that is already there. Most of all the endings could be even deeper with more text. I know that you needed to put the game on the market and that would have been much of a strain but I really liked the writing and reactivity that was there so far and would like that to be improved even further by adding more ending text. After all, anybody who got to the end of that game would surely not despise more text :P
Overall the game is really good as it is now, but these additions can make it even better. Many of them can wait for later patches but I would really like to see them in some expansion/ patch some time later.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » March 11th, 2017, 9:49 pm

Of course, this is good news, but seems a reason to stop playing and wait...
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

kaiman
Scholar

Post by kaiman » March 12th, 2017, 4:15 am

Great stuff that could bring the game from a solid 80-ish rating into the 90s for me. And welcome changes for an eventual replay, too. Though right now I am more eagerly waiting for the first round of patches. Had combat freeze on my on Friday, and since that is one of the issues mentioned in the FAQ, I've put the game on hold for the time being. Don't want to risk it happening again.

daedalusAI
Initiate

Post by daedalusAI » March 12th, 2017, 7:47 am

Jernaugh wrote:
daedalusAI wrote:
I'm impressed: not a word about the abysmal translations in several languages.
I assume because Techland is handling the translations. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere on this forum that the issues had been acknowledged and Techland was considering how to approach them. Colin posted somewhere on this...
I know - but to get that answer I had to make a thread because inXile can't be up-front with their customers.
And I all got was something like "it's being looked into" without any major announcement or something similiar: you have to find that 1 thread to know that things are apparently being looked into.

A customer doesn't care how things are being handled behind the scenes: all I see is the fact that there are major translation issues and yet inXile hides that from its customers on the official kickstarter site in their lengthy post about updates etc.

You tell me if the customer really is king or only useful for his money.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » March 12th, 2017, 4:56 pm

Drool wrote:Of course, this is good news, but seems a reason to stop playing and wait...
Based on WL2, I had always intended to wait personally :o :shock: :D
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Knightshark
Novice

Post by Knightshark » March 13th, 2017, 6:11 am

Guess i'll wait then until the DC is done.

Neuromancer
Initiate

Post by Neuromancer » March 16th, 2017, 8:22 am

I'd like the option eventually to have choice of full voice overs for all the NPCs and characters and companions. (it adds a lot to the large sums of text/story.. I am a big fan of being able to hear the characters talk.(not for the movement stuff. That part is a bit annoying... )

And way further down the line I'd thoroughly enjoy being able to visually see the memories ontop of the text... With more sounds as an option of course since not everyone shares my likes....

More camera options such as full 360 view of environment so we can enjoy the artwork and designs more ;).

More tiers I think my guy is maxed at 4 right now and I am on the last boss .... With something like 900 exp over the limit or something like that.

Pull off a wow. Start with several chunks of single player expansions. Add books.comics etc to the mix. And when the time is right start working on an mmorpg if and whenever that would be possible. The possibilities are endless with just numenera alone.

hzss12
Initiate

Post by hzss12 » March 22nd, 2017, 7:27 am

Ah, so the game is not ready yet.

It's nice to know, then I will start playing it when it's ready.

Testing a beta version is nice sometimes, but only for testing, to fully play the game, I prefer the finished version.

Just let me know when it's done.

Thanks.

ftl
Initiate

Post by ftl » April 2nd, 2017, 6:13 pm

Neat! Any idea what the timeline is for the new companion?

sear
Developer

Post by sear » April 2nd, 2017, 7:23 pm

ftl wrote:
April 2nd, 2017, 6:13 pm
Neat! Any idea what the timeline is for the new companion?
No estimate at this time, but much of Oom's design is done, art is moving along, and I know Gavin and Colin have been writing up a storm over the last couple weeks. :)

Valrog
Novice

Post by Valrog » April 26th, 2017, 1:27 pm

:cry: I'd much prefer if you guys could improve the current companions instead of wasting valuable time and effort adding one more companion.

With the exception of Rhin, the existing companions aren't satisfying. Many are actually irritating, especially Tybir.

Six companions are enough.