Updated Our Journal #66: Beyond the Beyond

Announcements & media coverage for Torment: Tides of Numenera. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

sear
Developer

Updated Our Journal #66: Beyond the Beyond

Post by sear » March 9th, 2017, 12:14 pm

Hi everyone,

Today's update brings a big thank you for our backers and fans, but more importantly we also talk updates coming to Torment...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/in ... ts/1823045
But, there's a saying that no work of art is ever truly complete. We certainly know that many of you were looking forward to some of the things we couldn't squeeze into our release build, and it just didn't sit well with us leaving those behind. Now that we have had a time to see your feedback on the game, we also have a better sense of where we can focus our resources to improve.

To that end, we are pleased to announce that we will be working on additional content and updates for Torment post-release. These updates will include:

-Oom ("The Toy" companion).
-Voluminous Codex.
-Crisis system improvements.

Our initial updates to the game will focused on bug fixes, optimizations, and other improvements, while the content additions will come later down the line. Both the patches and content updates will, of course, be completely free for all Torment owners, including backers, PC buyers, and console players. We will have more news on these in the coming weeks and months!

monocle
Acolyte

Re: Updated Our Journal #66: Beyond the Beyond

Post by monocle » March 9th, 2017, 12:19 pm

I don't see how they are going redeem the laggy mess of combat.
Javascript, Java, C#, numerous frameworks and design patterns, my spellbook is quite heavy.

Grampybone
Acolyte

Post by Grampybone » March 9th, 2017, 12:26 pm

You guys are great.
Underappreciated, but know that the hardcore fans of the Torment world and cRPG's in general (mostly silently) appreciate you guys exist and keep on giving us something to smile about and look forward to.

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » March 9th, 2017, 12:48 pm

Good news!
"I am a warhead of weaponized Truth." The Last Castoff (non-canon).

"Colin's period as Jesus was an interesting time." © Brother_None

Salmanasar
Acolyte

Post by Salmanasar » March 9th, 2017, 12:54 pm

Nice update, I'm glad to see that some of the cut content will be restored.

I also have small suggestion - could you add an ironman mode to the game? Because Torment, with all it's effort and limited pools systems, just begs for it. It might be also first game where I'd actually play that mode - because torment is more story- than combat-driven, there's much less permadeaths, and one-save-rule would force me to live with consequences of my choices and dicerolls (I'm filthy savescummer ^^'). I think it could rise value of the game in eyes of players.
It's possible to make or it would take too much (nomen omen) effort to implement properly?

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » March 9th, 2017, 1:29 pm

Salmanasar wrote:Nice update, I'm glad to see that some of the cut content will be restored.

I also have small suggestion - could you add an ironman mode to the game?
Any kind of difficulty slider.
"I am a warhead of weaponized Truth." The Last Castoff (non-canon).

"Colin's period as Jesus was an interesting time." © Brother_None

Salmanasar
Acolyte

Post by Salmanasar » March 9th, 2017, 1:41 pm

difficulty slider would also be nice, but it'd be much harder to implement (tedious balancing and rebalancing whole game just to be sure that every difficulty level works as intended), so I'm not even asking for it :P Ironman mode on the other hand could possibly work even with current balance, because its not about making game harder, but living with consequences, and it only needs "single save" feature.

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » March 9th, 2017, 1:45 pm

sear wrote:Hi everyone,

Today's update brings a big thank you for our backers and fans, but more importantly we also talk updates coming to Torment...

But, there's a saying that no work of art is ever truly complete. We certainly know that many of you were looking forward to some of the things we couldn't squeeze into our release build, and it just didn't sit well with us leaving those behind. Now that we have had a time to see your feedback on the game, we also have a better sense of where we can focus our resources to improve.

To that end, we are pleased to announce that we will be working on additional content and updates for Torment post-release. These updates will include:

-Voluminous Codex.

Our initial updates to the game will focused on bug fixes, optimizations, and other improvements, while the content additions will come later down the line. Both the patches and content updates will, of course, be completely free for all Torment owners, including backers, PC buyers, and console players. We will have more news on these in the coming weeks and months!
Wait did you just promise The Toy and combat improvements?
You will redeem yourself forever if you do these things and do them right. Thanks you!!!

Crixler
Initiate

Post by Crixler » March 9th, 2017, 5:25 pm

Exciting stuff! I hope that this is just the beginning, though, and that we eventually also get Riastrad, more foci, and other new/restored content.

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » March 9th, 2017, 6:05 pm

This game has so much potential. If only they'd add a few companions, improve combat, add at least 5 more foci, and maybe a few very simple cut-scenes, this game would be outstanding. It wouldn't hurt to have a few NPC avatar portraits too. That would be nice as well. How tides work also needs to be re-balanced. It is far too easy to skewer blue. If we just get 25% of cut content I'll be very pleased.

BrokenFantasy
Initiate

Post by BrokenFantasy » March 9th, 2017, 9:43 pm

Yay! I'm looking forward to the bug fixes and additional content. I'm loving the atmosphere and dialogue of this game, the extras are sweet too! Good job :)

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » March 9th, 2017, 10:39 pm

I dunno. Since part of the point is that even losing combat leads to new things, a difficulty slider seems out of place.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

natzy
Acolyte

Post by natzy » March 9th, 2017, 11:46 pm

Thank you InXile that is great news!

- please include portraits for the NPC's since it's very hard to know who I am talking to when there are more characters on screen, also highlight the person I am talking to, exactly like in Pillars of Eternity );
- I miss having a log for conversation (sometimes a chat happens between party members and because they are in a corner of a room I can't see what they were talking about, having the volume down or muted, you could implement it in the codex);
- Give us the option to use portrait pictures of the model like you did with Wasteland 2 ( because the default portraits are really not OK, like everyone is complaining );
- Implement the option to speed up the combat ( like in Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity );
- It would be great to make an Ironman mode available since the game is far to easy at this state ( I would prefer difficulty options but that's asking too much );

Those are options that will make TTON a game played years after years from now on. I would also really want to hear more VO (you know the ones you already showed us from the trailers and alpha/beta content ).
Do hope that we will see a raise in Steam reviews from now on.
Last edited by natzy on March 10th, 2017, 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Look out below! Above! Sideways!

Deldaran
Acolyte

Post by Deldaran » March 10th, 2017, 1:54 am

Physical Goods Update

*snip*

Our first shipping list has now been sent for processing, so shipping should begin very soon!
Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

Also VERY good stuff with the future content, keep on rocking InXile :)

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » March 10th, 2017, 2:46 am

so Oom will be in, the game is saved.

That said whats with the foci? thats the last missing piece and those we have are horribly bland.

If thats not an option why not make it a single focus "who is the last castoff" with skills relating to the games story ?
and/or a mixture of the existing skills in the three foci?

EDIT: also the endings could be a "little" bit more "expanded" im talking solely writing here ...

Tarhiel
Acolyte

Post by Tarhiel » March 10th, 2017, 4:05 am

Hello InXile,

Indeed, good news :)

i am very happy that you learned from the mistakes (newly hired community manager + better pledge handling in your subsequent games) and also that you are going to restore some of the cut content - I am especially chuffed about the Toy + crisis enhancements.

Way to go!

Hopefully other people will see this as a positive step as well - I definitely appreciate it :)
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing (George Bernard Shaw)

daedalusAI
Initiate

Post by daedalusAI » March 10th, 2017, 9:31 am

sear wrote:Hi everyone,

-Voluminous Codex.

I'm impressed: not a word about the abysmal translations in several languages.

Jernaugh
Scholar

Post by Jernaugh » March 10th, 2017, 4:17 pm

daedalusAI wrote:
I'm impressed: not a word about the abysmal translations in several languages.
I assume because Techland is handling the translations. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere on this forum that the issues had been acknowledged and Techland was considering how to approach them. Colin posted somewhere on this...

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » March 11th, 2017, 3:30 am

Outsourcing, outsourcing never changes.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Corylea
Initiate

Post by Corylea » March 11th, 2017, 1:04 pm

That's wonderful news. Thanks so much for the huge amounts of time, energy, and creativity you've poured into this game!