Updated Our Journal #63: A Look Back on Development

Announcements & media coverage for Torment: Tides of Numenera. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Re: Updated Our Journal #63: A Look Back on Development

Post by Lord of Riva » February 7th, 2017, 6:41 am

well at least i can support your determination by bumping this again with this post :D

Serjo
Explorer

Post by Serjo » February 7th, 2017, 7:38 am

Quoting for new page:
Serjo wrote:
sear wrote:Hi everyone,

Today we have an update from creative lead Colin McComb discussing the development process, things that changed along the way, and where we take things from here upon release and beyond.
Can we assume that all the stretch goals you did not mention in the update will be fulfilled in the release version? This includes, among others:

"Mark Morgan will create more music and use a live orchestra to record it"

and

"Enhanced Tide and Legacy System: Number of Legacies increased from 11 to 16: You may recall your Legacy is determined by which Tide or Tides you favor, and that Legacy affects NPC reactions, item bonuses, and your character’s Focus."

Serjo
Explorer

Post by Serjo » February 8th, 2017, 4:46 am

sear wrote:Hi everyone,

Today we have an update from creative lead Colin McComb discussing the development process, things that changed along the way, and where we take things from here upon release and beyond.
Another question: what about the Foci? This quote from the December 2016 build suggests that the game will only offer us the three starting Foci:
{COLIN: At present, it doesn't look like we'll have the bandwidth to create additional foci, so I'm moving this node down where it will never play. If this changes and we get more foci later, please move this node back between 67 and 68.}
However, in Feb 2016 your colleague said:
We will not have all Foci from the books, no, but do plan to add more than the current ones implemented.
Could you clarify this issue for us? Will there be more than three Foci available to the PC in the release version?

vv221
Forum Moderator

Post by vv221 » February 8th, 2017, 4:54 am

Serjo wrote:Could you clarify this issue for us? Will there be more than three Foci available to the PC in the release version?
Foci being in Numenera what defines most your character, I too hope we will have a bigger pool to chose from.
(disclaimer: I didn’t play the beta so I don’t know what are the three Foci already implementend in it)

Serjo
Explorer

Post by Serjo » February 8th, 2017, 4:57 am

vv221 wrote:
Serjo wrote:Could you clarify this issue for us? Will there be more than three Foci available to the PC in the release version?
Foci being in Numenera what defines most your character, I too hope we will have a bigger pool to chose from.
(disclaimer: I didn’t play the beta so I don’t know what are the three Foci already implementend in it)
The three currently implemented Foci are:
Brandishes a Silver Tongue - adds the Natural Charisma ability, which increases chances of success of Intimidation, Deception and Persuasion +1

Masters Defense - adds the Shield Master ability, which increases defense from attacks based on Speed. Adds the automatic Counterattack ability.

Breathes Shadow - adds the ability to deliver a Surprise Attack, which means that attacks against enemies who haven't moved yet, and attacks when your character is hidden have their level of difficulty decreased by 3 and deal 2 damage points more. Gain +5 on Quick Fingers, Deception, and Perception tasks.
Last edited by Serjo on February 8th, 2017, 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » February 8th, 2017, 5:08 am

Each Focus gives only one ability? Not an ability (or two) per tier?
"I am a warhead of weaponized Truth." The Last Castoff (non-canon).

"Colin's period as Jesus was an interesting time." © Brother_None

Serjo
Explorer

Post by Serjo » February 8th, 2017, 5:19 am

Firkraag wrote:Each Focus gives only one ability? Not an ability (or two) per tier?
edit: I just checked to be sure; you do get a new ability per tier. That part is definitely in the game.
Last edited by Serjo on February 8th, 2017, 7:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » February 8th, 2017, 5:48 am

Serjo wrote:
Firkraag wrote:Each Focus gives only one ability? Not an ability (or two) per tier?
I don't think that's in the December build, no. But that's another question for sear: will Foci give new abilities per tier in the release version?
It would have to give new abilities as you tier up. That is the entire point of advancement and leveling. Right? Wait was all the abilities cut too... :cry: No don't answer that. I don't want to know anymore. I really really really don't.

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » February 8th, 2017, 6:12 am

I prefer hard truths. And weird interpretations.
"I am a warhead of weaponized Truth." The Last Castoff (non-canon).

"Colin's period as Jesus was an interesting time." © Brother_None

Serjo
Explorer

Post by Serjo » February 8th, 2017, 6:51 am

anonymous6059 wrote:It would have to give new abilities as you tier up. That is the entire point of advancement and leveling. Right? Wait was all the abilities cut too... :cry: No don't answer that. I don't want to know anymore. I really really really don't.
I just checked again to be sure: you do get new focus abilities on a new tier. For instance, Tybir gets an AoE taunt due to his "Knows How to Take Care of Himself" focus. You just have to look at the description to see that it was unlocked by his focus.

The Silver Tongue Tier 2 abilities are:
Dealmaker: +5% Shins when selling, -5% shins when buying

Inspiring Presence: +5% Evasion, +5% Willpower, +5% success on all tasks to all allies within short range
Last edited by Serjo on February 8th, 2017, 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Serjo
Explorer

Post by Serjo » February 8th, 2017, 7:25 am

This is confusing... Erritis doesn't seem to have any Focus abilities at all, even at Tier 2; all his abilities are listed as "Type Abilities". Rhin also does not start with a Focus ability, even though she has a Focus. Either the descriptions are wrong in the beta, or there are abilities missing.

Anyway, that's a thread for another subforum. The question for this thread is: will the stretch goals and base goals that were not mentioned in the last update be fulfilled in the release version? That includes the live orchestral soundtrack, the 16 Legacies, getting more than 3 Foci (and having your selection of Foci be dependant on your Legacy), and the Stronghold, among others.

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » February 8th, 2017, 8:28 am

I remember reading somewhere that you would start the game with a limited number of foci, but be able to unlock more of them as you progress in the game. So would explain why the beta (which has only 1/3 of the content) has few of them.

Sure an official answer would be better than speculations, but it's not yet time to panic ;)

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » February 8th, 2017, 8:38 am

kilobug wrote:I remember reading somewhere that you would start the game with a limited number of foci, but be able to unlock more of them as you progress in the game. So would explain why the beta (which has only 1/3 of the content) has few of them.

Sure an official answer would be better than speculations, but it's not yet time to panic ;)

three of them were actually available in the first beta but they were not really fleshed out. If there is nothing found by datamining in the current content it certainly gets me worried but i as well remain hopeful.

Serjo
Explorer

Post by Serjo » February 8th, 2017, 8:42 am

Lord of Riva wrote:
kilobug wrote:I remember reading somewhere that you would start the game with a limited number of foci, but be able to unlock more of them as you progress in the game. So would explain why the beta (which has only 1/3 of the content) has few of them.

three of them were actually available in the first beta but they were not really fleshed out. If there is nothing found by datamining in the current content it certainly gets me worried but i as well remain hopeful.
There is a dialogue about selecting more foci in the beta files, but it is bracketed out and accompanied by the dev comment about a lack of bandwidth quoted above.

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » February 8th, 2017, 8:59 am

Serjo wrote:
Lord of Riva wrote:

There is a dialogue about selecting more foci in the beta files, but it is bracketed out and accompanied by the dev comment about a lack of bandwidth quoted above.
the dialogue was in at the start, it may still be part of a temporary exclusion of the Beta builds due to it not being finished at this time.
Its not me trying avoid acknowledging that this may be true, it may very well be, but at the same time im not ignoring the small chance that it has not been cut.

Serjo
Explorer

Post by Serjo » February 8th, 2017, 1:26 pm

Lord of Riva wrote:the dialogue was in at the start, it may still be part of a temporary exclusion of the Beta builds due to it not being finished at this time.
Well, the dialogue they removed was an announcement that more foci could become available later in the game. I don't see why they'd even bother to remove a line like that from a beta if they were still planning to offer more foci - if anything, it would serve as an advertisement for the release version.

But this is just speculation - maybe one of the developers who are currently logged in and reading this forum can tell us more?

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » February 8th, 2017, 1:57 pm

Serjo wrote: But this is just speculation - maybe one of the developers who are currently logged in and reading this forum can tell us more?
that would indeed be very nice

Takkik
Acolyte

Post by Takkik » February 8th, 2017, 3:02 pm

There is some ps4 footage preview on youtube, and it's weird that no one ever look at the character sheet... I mean seriously? You give me a RPG the first thing I look at it's the character sheet! (NDA?) It's always the bloom with the same party (Fixed save I presume). Only one actually showed the character sheet... and it was silver tongue focus.

No promo on the foci choice, no trailer, no one talk about it. Outside of people streaming the beta, no one is intrigued how the cypher system was ported, how far you can customize your character etc... No one in the press will be curious/know the setting and ask the damn question?

Serjo
Explorer

Post by Serjo » February 8th, 2017, 4:36 pm

Has anybody spotted any reactivity to the player character's Focus in the Bloom footage? Like unique lines of dialogue that say [Focus: Silver Tongue], extra interaction options, and so forth?

Monara
Initiate

Post by Monara » February 9th, 2017, 5:15 am

The way inxile is handling this is pathetic.
I haven't been following the development of this game much since last year but I decided to read up a little as the release date is nearing.
What I found was quite honesly shocking. Signs of stretch goals being scrapped ages ago but not a single word from the developers about this. Backers finding out about many missing core features just weeks before release from a leak instead of being informed properly. Developer only responding about the missed stretch goals/missing core features after the info already leaked out. Developer clearly lying about why backers weren't informed earlier (you don't scrap all of the stretch goal companions to be able to expand the existing ones during the final stage of polishing, this was known way in advance, many more signs of things being kept quiet). Developer offering an apology but only mentioning the already leaked confirmed missing features but still staying silent about all the other things that appear missing. And finally completely ignoring all the backers asking what happened to the other features they paid for for weeks.
This is not only utterly disrespectful to your backers, it also shows a lack of confidence in your own product and my high expectations for the game instantly went to extremely poor expectations.
I would have easily forgiven all the removed core features, fake stretch goals and so on if there had just been some honesty and openness about not being able to realize them from the developers. I would even have accepted this if they had only explained after the leaks. But the lies and cover ups are just too much to forgive. Looks like I won't be paying for this game after all.