Updated Our Journal #63: A Look Back on Development

Announcements & media coverage for Torment: Tides of Numenera. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

sear
Developer

Updated Our Journal #63: A Look Back on Development

Post by sear » January 31st, 2017, 5:04 pm

Hi everyone,

Today we have an update from creative lead Colin McComb discussing the development process, things that changed along the way, and where we take things from here upon release and beyond.

We've also got a brand-new novella from Monte Cook to check out - if you are a backer and your reward level included it, we encourage you to give it a read!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/in ... ts/1770943
When we set out to make Torment: Tides of Numenera, our vision was to make a thematic successor to Planescape: Torment. We’d explore a new setting, and use a new core question to explore a similar vein of philosophical thought. I am proud to say that the response from you, our backers, has been incredibly positive. I’ve told this story before, but it bears repeating: when Brian asked me to be the creative lead for Torment, I had to take some time to think about it, and I almost turned down the opportunity. I knew what Planescape: Torment meant to people, after all. For people to say that we have succeeded in creating a tonal and thematic successor is… well, it’s overwhelming, and I – WE – are grateful for the opportunity.

As with any creative work, game development is an iterative and uncertain process. When we over-funded at a higher level than we could ever have expected, that led to an increase in scope and size of the game accordingly. We went from one major city hub to two. We added new companions, more locations such as the Ascension, the Castoff's Labyrinth, new cults like the Dendra O'hur, and more. We added Meres to the game, whole text-based mini-stories that themselves have their own reactivity and many branching paths, and even more surprises to find. We have an expanded soundtrack that's longer than Planescape: Torment's by a decent margin, and a universe rich enough to fill multiple novellas.

Serjo
Scholar

Re: Updated Our Journal #63: A Look Back on Development

Post by Serjo » January 31st, 2017, 6:53 pm

Can we assume that all the stretch goals you did not mention in the update will be fulfilled in the release version? This includes, among others:

"Mark Morgan will create more music and use a live orchestra to record it"

and

"Enhanced Tide and Legacy System: Number of Legacies increased from 11 to 16: You may recall your Legacy is determined by which Tide or Tides you favor, and that Legacy affects NPC reactions, item bonuses, and your character’s Focus."

Jozape
Explorer

Post by Jozape » January 31st, 2017, 10:07 pm

One month before this game releases, I now have available to me a computer than can play the game. I haven't played a role-playing game in 4 years. I can't wait!

Godfather101
Explorer

Post by Godfather101 » February 1st, 2017, 4:08 am

Thanks for the update.
Really looking forward to the Release of the Game.

RadonGOG
Scholar

Post by RadonGOG » February 1st, 2017, 1:38 pm

Serjo wrote:Can we assume that all the stretch goals you did not mention in the update will be fulfilled in the release version? This includes, among others:

and

"Enhanced Tide and Legacy System: Number of Legacies increased from 11 to 16: You may recall your Legacy is determined by which Tide or Tides you favor, and that Legacy affects NPC reactions, item bonuses, and your character’s Focus."
Interested in these ones as well.
Concerning the second one, even if InXile had to cut a few legacies: I wouldn´t mind, as long as the general system got enhanced. I mean, 14 or 16, 20 or 24, 11 or 13, who cares? ;)

Edit: Oh, and something else: I would have liked a shout-out for BeautifulDesolation and Banner Saga III on top of the one you gave PillE II.
Last edited by RadonGOG on February 1st, 2017, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » February 1st, 2017, 1:42 pm

RadonGOG wrote:Concerning the second one, even if InXile had to cut a few legacies: I wouldn´t mind, as long as the general system got enhanced. I mean, 14 or 16, 20 or 24, 11 or 13, who cares? ;)
That's not a random number, but comes from a logic.

6 legacies = one per Tide, plus a neutral one.

11 legacies = one for each couple of (primary, secondary) Tide, plus a neutral one.

16 legacies = one for each of the above cases : 5 if one Tide is dominant over the other ones, 10 if two Tides are almost tied but above the rest, 1 for balanced Tides.

It wouldn't make much sense to have 14 or 20 ;)

RadonGOG
Scholar

Post by RadonGOG » February 1st, 2017, 1:44 pm

kilobug wrote:
RadonGOG wrote:Concerning the second one, even if InXile had to cut a few legacies: I wouldn´t mind, as long as the general system got enhanced. I mean, 14 or 16, 20 or 24, 11 or 13, who cares? ;)
That's not a random number, but comes from a logic.

6 legacies = one per Tide, plus a neutral one.

11 legacies = one for each couple of (primary, secondary) Tide, plus a neutral one.

16 legacies = one for each of the above cases : 5 if one Tide is dominant over the other ones, 10 if two Tides are almost tied but above the rest, 1 for balanced Tides.

It wouldn't make much sense to have 14 or 20 ;)
I guess so as well, but maybe if it wouldn´t have worked out they might say "aaah, we could add some others if certain circumstances are met in the game"...
...anyways, let´s not dive too deep into this. :D

Ichabod
Initiate

Post by Ichabod » February 2nd, 2017, 12:30 pm

Retracted after reading more about the development of this game. You don't deserve my simpathy.
Last edited by Ichabod on February 5th, 2017, 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Serjo
Scholar

Post by Serjo » February 2nd, 2017, 2:19 pm

Serjo wrote:Can we assume that all the stretch goals you did not mention in the update will be fulfilled in the release version? This includes, among others:

and

bump!

RadonGOG
Scholar

Post by RadonGOG » February 2nd, 2017, 11:29 pm

Serjo wrote:

and

bump!
Double bump!

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » February 3rd, 2017, 6:36 am

you cant really bump a sticky :P

Serjo
Scholar

Post by Serjo » February 3rd, 2017, 7:42 am

Sear has posted a few times already, but not in this thread. Maybe he's overlooked it?

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » February 3rd, 2017, 8:35 am

Serjo wrote:Sear has posted a few times already, but not in this thread. Maybe he's overlooked it?
possibly but the so called bump is to get a thread to the top so it can be seen, this one is always on top so that does not work.
Its not meant as a stupid sideline comment im interested as well, bumping it doesnt really help its visibility though.

Serjo
Scholar

Post by Serjo » February 3rd, 2017, 9:09 am

Lord of Riva wrote:
Serjo wrote:Sear has posted a few times already, but not in this thread. Maybe he's overlooked it?
possibly but the so called bump is to get a thread to the top so it can be seen, this one is always on top so that does not work.
Its not meant as a stupid sideline comment im interested as well, bumping it doesnt really help its visibility though.
No worries.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » February 3rd, 2017, 6:17 pm

Actually it still works. It shows up as a "new message".
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Serjo
Scholar

Post by Serjo » February 4th, 2017, 7:57 am

sear's online again!

Any news on these stretch goals?

and

Serjo
Scholar

Post by Serjo » February 5th, 2017, 4:08 pm

Another week, another bump.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » February 5th, 2017, 7:25 pm

Serjo wrote:Another week, another bump.
Technically it was only another day since your last post...
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Serjo
Scholar

Post by Serjo » February 6th, 2017, 7:46 am

It's such a simple sentence: "Yes, all the stretch goals that were not mentioned in the update will be in the game." Will we hear it today?

Serjo
Scholar

Post by Serjo » February 7th, 2017, 5:05 am

Serjo wrote:It's such a simple sentence: "Yes, all the stretch goals that were not mentioned in the update will be in the game." Will we hear it today?
Today.