Torment: Tides of Numenera - Tidal Surge Update Released

Announcements & media coverage for Torment: Tides of Numenera. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

sear
Developer

Torment: Tides of Numenera - Tidal Surge Update Released

Post by sear » December 20th, 2016, 1:01 pm

Hello all,

We have a brand new update to Torment's early access version. We know many of you have been waiting for this update, and now we're very happy to be able to deliver a much-improved version of Torment for you to enjoy.

Like previous builds, this one will allow you to play the game's first major chunk, taking you through Sagus Cliffs and some parts of the Castoff's Labyrinth – the remaining content will come with the final game, as we don't want to spoil everything, after all!

The Tidal Surge Update includes literally thousands of changes from the last beta version. There's simply far too many to show you as we'd probably start to approach the word count of the entire game just in version notes, but we'll certainly give you the highlights...

Update Highlights:
  • Voice-acting has been added to key characters and conversations.
  • Huge balance improvements across combat, loot and economy.
  • Tweaks and adjustments to character stats, such as armor and resistances.
  • Many interface art and functionality improvements, fixes and other refinements.
  • Improvements to visual and sound effects, especially combat abilities.
  • Reworked early-game crisis flow.
  • Game settings such as key rebinding and text size are now available.
  • Added tutorials and other helpers (optional).
  • Hundreds of bug fixes and performance optimizations.
Known Issues:
  • When looting a container, the last member in the party is automatically selected instead of the first member.
  • On the Merchant screen, it can be difficult to highlight the leftmost row of items with the mouse cursor.
  • The Item Gained panel does not always appear after receiving an item from a difficult task.
  • In rare instances, combat encounters in the Anechoic Lazaret may not end correctly.
  • Dismissing Aligern or Callistege from the party can sometimes cause them to spawn in inaccessible locations.
We encourage you to check out the forums and let us know of any bugs or issues you run into, as well as for your general feedback!

Thanks everyone!

Firkraag
Adventurer

Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera - Tidal Surge Update Released

Post by Firkraag » December 20th, 2016, 4:16 pm

Had crafting (Numenera-tinkering) system already been incorporated into the game?
Last edited by Firkraag on December 23rd, 2016, 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am a warhead of weaponized Truth." The Last Castoff (non-canon).

"Colin's period as Jesus was an interesting time." © Brother_None

Aramintai
Scholar

Post by Aramintai » December 20th, 2016, 10:48 pm

Does this beta version have a controller support?

larcenous
Initiate

Post by larcenous » December 21st, 2016, 7:17 pm

sear wrote:Added tutorials and other helpers (optional).
Read conflicting reports on this one, like the display containing hints to complete objectives during crises actually not being optional.
If that's true could you please make that (and while you're at it any other hand-holding features) optional as well, as I and surely many others would like to be treated as adults capable of problem-solving and figuring out things on their own, thank you very much.

retroquark
Novice

Post by retroquark » December 22nd, 2016, 3:58 am

-Huge balance improvements across combat, loot and economy.
-Tweaks and adjustments to character stats, such as armor and resistances.
Uhuh. So would you say these adjustments and improvements are, specifically speaking, attempting to achieve "more combat awesomeness", or merely "making it all better and things"? Oh, I know, and is your direction of tweaking headed towards "great" or "fantastic"?

This incredible specificity and clarity in design direction is indeed immensely pleasing to me as a backer, of that I assure you, with the absolute honesty that I have no doubt practically glows off my choice of positive and unspecific superlatives and plus-words.

Seriously, though: am I paying for you to have a PR guy writing bullshit like this?

Ranneko
Initiate

Post by Ranneko » December 22nd, 2016, 3:23 pm

I really don't understand what you are expecting here retroquark? What are you complaining about?

Are you saying you want more detail? Them to just write more flatly?

Just not clear what value you are bringing to this conversation.

RadonGOG
Scholar

Post by RadonGOG » December 23rd, 2016, 1:00 am

retroquark wrote:
-Huge balance improvements across combat, loot and economy.
-Tweaks and adjustments to character stats, such as armor and resistances.
Uhuh. So would you say these adjustments and improvements are, specifically speaking, attempting to achieve "more combat awesomeness", or merely "making it all better and things"? Oh, I know, and is your direction of tweaking headed towards "great" or "fantastic"?

This incredible specificity and clarity in design direction is indeed immensely pleasing to me as a backer, of that I assure you, with the absolute honesty that I have no doubt practically glows off my choice of positive and unspecific superlatives and plus-words.

Seriously, though: am I paying for you to have a PR guy writing bullshit like this?
That´s not PR bullshit, it´s just a short summary.

monocle
Acolyte

Post by monocle » December 24th, 2016, 6:14 am

a minor ux suggestion: can you add a cutscene mode cursor, so I know I'm in a cutscene? currently the cursor freezes in the last state it was before the cutscene and it's misleading sometimes.
Javascript, Java, C#, numerous frameworks and design patterns, my spellbook is quite heavy.

Anaeme
Acolyte

Post by Anaeme » December 24th, 2016, 8:35 am

The Camera movements are way too much...leave camera control with players and let them drive.

King Strange
Initiate

Post by King Strange » December 24th, 2016, 11:32 am

Will these new savefiles we create with this update hopefully be valid still when the full-release comes out in February? Hope so.

Aramintai
Scholar

Post by Aramintai » December 24th, 2016, 12:57 pm

I've played this last beta and I think it's in a good shape for release in February. All major bugs fixed, all quests are completable, performance improved, UI more or less polished.

Still, a note to any future backers of any game out there - I've played lots of pre-release alphas/betas of games and I gotta say T:TON is no exception - all alpha/beta graphics and major features like combat are there to stay in release version, don't expect any ovehauls. So if you're on a fence whether to buy/back something - play alpha/beta and see how those core features look like. If they are trash, they're gonna stay trash. Sure, some less taxing features and polish may be added on top, but those major ones? Never seen any devs redoing them.
So, what I'm saying with this - combat is still a big, slow disappointment in T:TON, character models' visual quality and animations too. They could have at least remade those godawful portraits (I've seen a lot of ppl not only here but on Steam as well complaining about their quality), but I guess even they are here to stay. UI could be better as well. Some voiceovers don't fit neither character nor portrait - Callistege sounds like an old black woman, male protagonist and Rhin sound too old, others are more or less ok.
Also, there are some features still missing from this beta - numenera crafting and codex.

All in all, I think this game's gonna be ok but I'm not expecting it to catch any stars from the sky. Its only outstanding feature is its writing.

monocle
Acolyte

Post by monocle » December 24th, 2016, 1:07 pm

Javascript, Java, C#, numerous frameworks and design patterns, my spellbook is quite heavy.

Kokos
Initiate

Post by Kokos » December 27th, 2016, 4:08 am

Hi everybody (my first post on this forum)!

In the meantime I got information that Polish version will be a dub (voice-over) localisation which is a fantastic news! Thank you for that! [techland's vid]

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » December 30th, 2016, 11:36 pm

Aramintai wrote:I've played this last beta and I think it's in a good shape for release in February. All major bugs fixed, all quests are completable, performance improved, UI more or less polished.

Still, a note to any future backers of any game out there - I've played lots of pre-release alphas/betas of games and I gotta say T:TON is no exception - all alpha/beta graphics and major features like combat are there to stay in release version, don't expect any ovehauls. So if you're on a fence whether to buy/back something - play alpha/beta and see how those core features look like. If they are trash, they're gonna stay trash. Sure, some less taxing features and polish may be added on top, but those major ones? Never seen any devs redoing them.
So, what I'm saying with this - combat is still a big, slow disappointment in T:TON, character models' visual quality and animations too. They could have at least remade those godawful portraits (I've seen a lot of ppl not only here but on Steam as well complaining about their quality), but I guess even they are here to stay. UI could be better as well. Some voiceovers don't fit neither character nor portrait - Callistege sounds like an old black woman, male protagonist and Rhin sound too old, others are more or less ok.
Also, there are some features still missing from this beta - numenera crafting and codex.

All in all, I think this game's gonna be ok but I'm not expecting it to catch any stars from the sky. Its only outstanding feature is its writing.
So not unlike the original hey...
It's not too late. Make it Eight!