Updated Our Journal (61): Release Date!

Announcements & media coverage for Torment: Tides of Numenera. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

kaiman
Scholar

Re: Updated Our Journal (61): Release Date!

Post by kaiman » February 24th, 2017, 12:54 pm

Brother None wrote:Hey guys, our earlier drafts of the Torment backer manual with our temp formatting were 80 pages long. However, after formatting, it ended up at 40 pages
Is that for the digital, printed or both versions of the backer manual? Assuming digital, as I doubt any backer will hold the printed manual in their hands on release day. OTOH, can't imagine that layout differs (much) between digital and physical.

Also, is it still true that the physical novella compilation will ship with the boxes, as Colin's oeuvre seems to be not quite ready yet, as per the FAQ:
A few digital rewards, such as Colin McComb’s novella and Planescape: Torment Let’s Play, and the remaining digital comic books, are in production, but didn't quite make it for release
At least he's getting around to playing PS:T, though I only managed to see part of the first and last minutes of the second stream. Are those available for watching elsewhere already?

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » February 24th, 2017, 2:33 pm

kaiman wrote:Also, is it still true that the physical novella compilation will ship with the boxes, as Colin's oeuvre seems to be not quite ready yet
Techland informed us they're shipping out the printed novella compilation to eligible backers around release. It'll contain all the novellas that have been finished and released.
kaiman wrote:At least he's getting around to playing PS:T, though I only managed to see part of the first and last minutes of the second stream. Are those available for watching elsewhere already?
We're getting those ready for YouTube as we speak!
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Serjo
Scholar

Post by Serjo » February 24th, 2017, 4:13 pm

Brother None wrote:
kaiman wrote:Also, is it still true that the physical novella compilation will ship with the boxes, as Colin's oeuvre seems to be not quite ready yet
Techland informed us they're shipping out the printed novella compilation to eligible backers around release. It'll contain all the novellas that have been finished and released.
Will Colin's novella be printed and sent to backers who chose the physical novella reward at a later date?

Jernaugh
Scholar

Post by Jernaugh » February 25th, 2017, 3:39 am

Serjo wrote: Will Colin's novella be printed and sent to backers who chose the physical novella reward at a later date?
Um. Why wouldn't it? Is there any reason to assume it shouldn't be?

kaiman
Scholar

Post by kaiman » February 26th, 2017, 3:04 am

Jernaugh wrote:
Serjo wrote: Will Colin's novella be printed and sent to backers who chose the physical novella reward at a later date?
Um. Why wouldn't it? Is there any reason to assume it shouldn't be?
I was always under the impression that the novella collection was a single book, mostly because (a) the add-on explicitly states "1 Item" and (b) each novella on its own would be way too short to warrant its own volume. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, however, as of course I would love to have all novellas on paper, not just 6 of them.

Not really sure whether I should be happy that the delay in Colin's novella does not delay shipping of the boxes, or disappointed that the novella collection will likely not be complete. Guess if I'd be offered the choice, I'd rather wait for the last novella to be included.

Serjo
Scholar

Post by Serjo » February 26th, 2017, 4:24 am

The interesting question is whether they'll print Colin's novella before or after Avellone's WL2 novel is released.

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » February 26th, 2017, 6:12 am

Serjo wrote:The interesting question is whether they'll print Colin's novella before or after Avellone's WL2 novel is released.
After, if ever. The novella compilation will only include the 5 tide novellas. The one by Colin and Cook will be separate. At least that is the only sensible conclusion I've drawn. The novella compilation is supposed to ship with the rest of the goods. So that would mean that they'd need to have them already printed. The 2 novellas that Colin and Cook wrote aren't part of the set.

I don't know if you'll ever see a physical version of the last 2 novellas. I wouldn't think you would though.
Last edited by anonymous6059 on February 26th, 2017, 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

kaiman
Scholar

Post by kaiman » February 26th, 2017, 6:48 am

anonymous6059 wrote:The novella compilation is supposed to ship with the rest of the goods. So that would mean that they'd need to have them already printed. The 2 novellas that Colin and Cook wrote aren't part of the set.

I don't know if you'll ever see a physical version of the last 2 novellas. I wouldn't think you would though.
From the add-on description:
Compilation of all of the Torment: Tides of Numenera novellas.[...] Authors include: [...] Colin McComb, [...] Monte Cook, [...] Adam Heine, [...] Ray Vallese, [...] Nathan Long, [...] Mur Lafferty and Tony Evans [...].
That makes 7 novellas, and I would expect to see all of them printed, whether in 1, 2 or any other number of volumes. Incidentally, unlike with the collector's edition, the button to remove the printed novella add-on is still available. That, at least, would speak against them being printed already. Mind you, could also just be bug. I wouldn't dare press it ... ;-)

Curious how that turns out, but yeah, I won't be surprised if not all novellas make it to print after all.

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » February 26th, 2017, 6:50 am

kaiman wrote:
anonymous6059 wrote:The novella compilation is supposed to ship with the rest of the goods. So that would mean that they'd need to have them already printed. The 2 novellas that Colin and Cook wrote aren't part of the set.

From the add-on description:
Compilation of all of the Torment: Tides of Numenera novellas.[...] Authors include: [...] Colin McComb, [...] Monte Cook, [...] Adam Heine, [...] Ray Vallese, [...] Nathan Long, [...] Mur Lafferty and Tony Evans [...].
That makes 7 novellas, and I would expect to see all of them printed, whether in 1, 2 or any other number of volumes. Incidentally, unlike with the collector's edition, the button to remove the printed novella add-on is still available. That, at least, would speak against them being printed already. Mind you, could also just be bug. I wouldn't dare press it ... ;-)

Curious how that turns out, but yeah, I won't be surprised if not all novellas make it to print after all.
Well, if that is the case we can all expect to wait several more months for our CEs then. :(

kaiman
Scholar

Post by kaiman » February 26th, 2017, 7:15 am

anonymous6059 wrote:Well, if that is the case we can all expect to wait several more months for our CEs then. :(
I wouldn't worry about that. I would bet that books and boxes ship in separate packaging. The logistics behind merging the two is probably more costly then doing things separately.

Anyway, the original answer from Thomas above leaves little doubt as to what we'll get, and what not:
Brother None wrote:Techland informed us they're shipping out the printed novella compilation to eligible backers around release. It'll contain all the novellas that have been finished and released.
First six novellas are in, that of Colin is out. The earth keeps spinning ...

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » February 26th, 2017, 4:15 pm

kaiman wrote:
anonymous6059 wrote:Well, if that is the case we can all expect to wait several more months for our CEs then. :(
I wouldn't worry about that. I would bet that books and boxes ship in separate packaging. The logistics behind merging the two is probably more costly then doing things separately.

Anyway, the original answer from Thomas above leaves little doubt as to what we'll get, and what not:
Brother None wrote:Techland informed us they're shipping out the printed novella compilation to eligible backers around release. It'll contain all the novellas that have been finished and released.
First six novellas are in, that of Colin is out. The earth keeps spinning ...
I still would of just included the 5 tide novellas. Leaving out the 1 by Colin is just another example of how terrible things have become. They are even making cuts on their physical goods. That is just sad. If they'd of just done the 5 they could of said it was done on purpose. That they were part of a "set". Not that they were just going to cut one of the novellas out just so they could push it out the door. At almost every turn Inxile has been a complete disappointment. I may have nightmares because I backed this game. Inxile, I'll be sending you the bill from my therapist. ;)

At least the novellas were okay. I guess I can comfort myself with that.

Jernaugh
Scholar

Post by Jernaugh » February 27th, 2017, 2:23 am

I'm still not sure why some people are assuming that Colin's novella will not be sent to us when it's done. Is there any actual indication of that? I wouldn't call it a "cut" if it's not there yet due to production issues.

Tarhiel
Acolyte

Post by Tarhiel » February 27th, 2017, 7:46 am

Jernaugh wrote:I'm still not sure why some people are assuming that Colin's novella will not be sent to us when it's done. Is there any actual indication of that? I wouldn't call it a "cut" if it's not there yet due to production issues.
Well, maybe these people would like to point out that Chris Avellone was also writing a novel for Wasteland 2 as a stretch goal - that novel was never released and I just wonder what happened - GOG goodies section for W2 has it marked as "soon" - for 3 years now.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing (George Bernard Shaw)

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » February 27th, 2017, 10:08 am

Jernaugh wrote:I'm still not sure why some people are assuming that Colin's novella will not be sent to us when it's done. Is there any actual indication of that? I wouldn't call it a "cut" if it's not there yet due to production issues.
Wouldn't the shipping alone make it nearly impossible to do? I'm not saying the last novella won't be released. I just don't think you'll ever see a hard copy of it. I figured the last 2 would be digital download only and the first five were printed as a set. Beats me. Inxile doesn't seem to do things that make much sense.

Eclipsiste
Initiate

Post by Eclipsiste » March 1st, 2017, 1:31 am

Sorry if the question was answered somewhere else, but I can't find the info: is there any estimation when they will start shipping game boxes?
It's been so long since I backed this game... I can't wait to put my hands on the backer's CE... I bought the retail CE as a gift to my wife, we should receive it by the end of the week...
InXile could learn a few tricks from Larian or Obsidian about communication with backers and providing a single backer site where you can find all the infos you need... I've been avoiding spoilers about TTON, but now that I'm looking for basic infos about shipping, etc... it's hard to find clear answers...

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » March 1st, 2017, 3:47 am

Eclipsiste wrote:Sorry if the question was answered somewhere else, but I can't find the info: is there any estimation when they will start shipping game boxes?
It's been so long since I backed this game... I can't wait to put my hands on the backer's CE... I bought the retail CE as a gift to my wife, we should receive it by the end of the week...
InXile could learn a few tricks from Larian or Obsidian about communication with backers and providing a single backer site where you can find all the infos you need... I've been avoiding spoilers about TTON, but now that I'm looking for basic infos about shipping, etc... it's hard to find clear answers...
Haven't you read the latest 65th update?
"I am a warhead of weaponized Truth." The Last Castoff (non-canon).

"Colin's period as Jesus was an interesting time." © Brother_None

Eclipsiste
Initiate

Post by Eclipsiste » March 1st, 2017, 6:05 am

Firkraag wrote:
Eclipsiste wrote:Sorry if the question was answered somewhere else, but I can't find the info: is there any estimation when they will start shipping game boxes?
Haven't you read the latest 65th update?
I did miss this one... Thanks for pointing it out for me.
"As soon as we hear from [Techland]" is quite a disappointing answer though... TTON gained traction from the start thanks to backers who believed in the game... Now it feels like where's hanged outside to wait... Planning backers' rewards production adequately should have been a priority once the release date was known. I'm not asking for more than what I pledged for, but in a two years span someone could have said "Hey, let's make sure our backers receive their stuff on the same week the game is released, to show them we're thankful for being with us since the first days..."
Now I see Amazon delivering retail CE... A friend of mine received his retail CE today, and even he was surprised to hear I didn't know when my backer CE was going to be shipped. I love InXile games, but I fear the crowdfunding of TTON might leave mixed feelings in many backers...

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » March 1st, 2017, 6:18 am

I think, even if it isn't great with Techland, it probably would've been much worse without them.
"I am a warhead of weaponized Truth." The Last Castoff (non-canon).

"Colin's period as Jesus was an interesting time." © Brother_None

Jernaugh
Scholar

Post by Jernaugh » March 1st, 2017, 7:51 am

Unfortunately so. The logistics of dealing with 77000 backers (if that was the right number, I didn't look it up - but I remember hearing that somewhere) is a pretty huge task for a small team that is also incidentally making a game. It gets worse when new developments change the requirements of backers - people playing on tablets, people wanting console versions, etc.. Of course, Techland is directly responsible for some of those developments (console pledges), so to a degree, they're doing work that wouldn't be necessary without them, but I'm sure even just getting shipping adresses nailed down etc. is a load of work.

Not saying this couldn't have been done better, of course, just not surprised how it's gone.

Skysect
Initiate

Post by Skysect » March 3rd, 2017, 10:01 am

I mailed Techland . And they are unhappy with this situation . It seems you could sell backer speacil outfits pack to us on other platforms and someone is lying about legal agreements . Why ignoring whole community ?