Updated Our Journal (57): Techland Partnership

Announcements & media coverage for Torment: Tides of Numenera. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

sear
Developer

Updated Our Journal (57): Techland Partnership

Post by sear » August 4th, 2016, 9:10 am

New update time! We've previously discussed our partnership with a new publisher, but we have some additional details on our production timeline and bringing Torment to consoles! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/in ... ts/1647389
Chris here for some important and exciting news. Last update we teased that we’re working with a new publisher on Torment. For those who have not yet seen the news that broke shortly after, we are pleased to inform you that we have partnered with Techland Publishing. You might know Techland as having developed some excellent games including Dying Light and Call of Juarez, but they have also done regional publishing and distribution on titles for many years now. With Torment, they are making the move to global publishing.

The partnership is something we are very excited about. Techland will be handling retail distribution, marketing the game, and physical backer rewards come release. This allows us to focus the vast majority of our resources on development of the game itself. They are an experienced team and are able to lend their expertise on a number of fronts, while we can spend more time working directly in the world of Torment.

Techland is offering a partnership with a full understanding of Torment's legacy and goals as a narrative-driven RPG, and they want it to succeed as much as we do. As developers themselves, Techland has a great understanding of how important it is to stick to your vision, so we will be keeping full creative control over the game. We look forward to working with them to deliver a quality release we can all be proud of.

This isn't the only component to our partnership, however. In addition to helping with the PC version of the game, we are pleased to announce that Techland is also lending its backing to bring Torment: Tides of Numenera to Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

For those of you who backed Torment and are wondering, "how does this affect the game?" the answer is rather simple, it doesn't. Torment was developed from the ground up as a successor to the legacy of the original Planescape: Torment. Those of you who have played the beta will see that it is a rich, deep RPG full of involving quests, characters and a world full of detail.

You'll also likely know that this isn't our first rodeo when it comes to consoles. With Wasteland 2: Director's Cut on Xbox and PS4, we proved that it was possible to bring all the depth of a PC style RPG to new audiences without sacrificing the tactical complexity and scope, and with Torment our approach is not changing. As developers, we're pleased to bring the game to even more players, and with the success of WL2:DC critically, commercially and among our fans, it had long since been in our plans to do a console version of Torment.

Most importantly, you might be wondering if this affects our timeline for the game beyond what we've previously said. We have great news for you there: it will not! We talked about our production timeline in the last update, and how our plans to localize and polish the game meant we are looking at an early Q1 2017 release. When looking at our production timeline, it became clear that our art, design, and engineering resources were becoming available, giving us the opportunity to bring the game to consoles without affecting the PC version and overall timeline.
We also have a snazzy new trailer available, you can view it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er2g8BVWCFk

marcuscox85
Initiate

Re: Updated Our Journal (57): Techland Partnership

Post by marcuscox85 » August 4th, 2016, 9:37 am

For the Kickstarter backers is there any possibilities that we can choose to get a console download instead of a computer download? Or perhaps a way to upgrade?

sear
Developer

Post by sear » August 4th, 2016, 11:13 am

marcuscox85 wrote:For the Kickstarter backers is there any possibilities that we can choose to get a console download instead of a computer download? Or perhaps a way to upgrade?
It's something we are definitely aware of the demand for, we'll let everyone know if we have news on that front.

Salmanasar
Acolyte

Post by Salmanasar » August 4th, 2016, 11:43 am

Let's just quote myself from KS:

"For those of you who backed Torment and are wondering, "how does this affect the game?" the answer is rather simple, it doesn't"

except that it does, especially if you're talking about WL2:DC "success" in this matter in the next paragraph. Yea, you didnt touch the story or mechanics, but UI and menus were VERY console-ish in PC version of DC (especially if compred to the non-DC WL2), so if you're considering it as "success", then I'm more than dissapointed. My only hope is that PC version is so far in development that its UI and menus wont be victim of "standardization" with consoles.

I know that it means double work, it cost money and blah blah blah, but as we say in eastern europe - you cant eat pie and have pie at the same time.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » August 4th, 2016, 11:58 am

Salmanasar wrote:Let's just quote myself from KS:

"For those of you who backed Torment and are wondering, "how does this affect the game?" the answer is rather simple, it doesn't"

except that it does, especially if you're talking about WL2:DC "success" in this matter in the next paragraph. Yea, you didnt touch the story or mechanics, but UI and menus were VERY console-ish in PC version of DC (especially if compred to the non-DC WL2), so if you're considering it as "success", then I'm more than dissapointed. My only hope is that PC version is so far in development that its UI and menus wont be victim of "standardization" with consoles.

I know that it means double work, it cost money and blah blah blah, but as we say in eastern europe - you cant eat pie and have pie at the same time.
Right now we've been using PC as a base and modifying consoles from there so they play well. I'm not sure if you have played the beta version yet, but take a look if you haven't and please let us know if anything feels off to you. viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15822

Salmanasar
Acolyte

Post by Salmanasar » August 4th, 2016, 12:20 pm

Lets say that I was concerned that some of the current UI elements (I've played latest version, I think it isn't bad, maybe except not-so-user-friendly-for-newcomers effort menu) will be changed into something like mentioned WL2:DC during last months of development - things like "updated" full-screen trade menu, party menu or lack of old typewriter font were HUGE steps back. Especially when every of your promo KS video was about greedy kiddie publisher who wanted to change your game because "xbox/playstation".

Anyway, If you're saying that PC torment and console torment wont share UI as close as WL2:DC counterparts, then I'm far less concerned.

Aramintai
Scholar

Post by Aramintai » August 4th, 2016, 1:22 pm

Yay! So cool! :P I didn't think you guys would actually do this. I wanted T:TON to hit consoles from the very beginning, my console buddies will be very pleased. Thank you!
I'm gonna get both versions when they're out :mrgreen:

Dieu-Sama
Initiate

Post by Dieu-Sama » August 4th, 2016, 2:55 pm

Especially when every of your promo KS video was about greedy kiddie publisher who wanted to change your game because "xbox/playstation".

My thought exactly. They sure carefully forget to mention during the Kickstarter promo their wish to make console versions.

Why is it that damn hard to find anyone that isn't willing to lie to you? Jesus, there isn't a single straightfoward and honest company on this planet ?

SniperHF
Adventurer

Post by SniperHF » August 4th, 2016, 3:02 pm

I basically have no problem with inXile wanting to make simultaneous console release games like everyone else. However I will no longer be contributing toward their development in future pitches. I suspect this their way of keeping development sustainable in a shrinking KS world anyway.

Good luck, I'll check out future titles on release with the rest of the plebs and decide then.

cadriese
Novice

Post by cadriese » August 4th, 2016, 4:58 pm

Yeah, I'd really appreciate it too, if the UI and navigation in general wouldn't have "optimized for gamepads and large TV screens" written all over it this time around, thanks. One game's PC version getting the consolization treatment is enough.

Is it really that hard and that much of an effort to maintain two separate versions/builds (gamepad/console optimized vs. mouse+keyboard/PC optimized) of the game?

Please don't pull another WL2:DC with the PC version of Torment.

anonymous6059
Adventurer

Post by anonymous6059 » August 4th, 2016, 7:18 pm

Dieu-Sama wrote:Especially when every of your promo KS video was about greedy kiddie publisher who wanted to change your game because "xbox/playstation".

My thought exactly. They sure carefully forget to mention during the Kickstarter promo their wish to make console versions.

Why is it that damn hard to find anyone that isn't willing to lie to you? Jesus, there isn't a single straightfoward and honest company on this planet ?
Maybe, a nonprofit organization? ;)

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » August 5th, 2016, 12:27 am

I do have some concerns about a few UI elements (like the barter screen, it definitely was a regression in WL2DC compared to WL2 vanilla) but it's not that a big deal - definitely not worth calling "treason". WL2DC was still very enjoyable on PC (and globally more than WL2 vanilla) despite the barter screen. And globally more resources will mean more polish/less bugs.

RadonGOG
Scholar

Post by RadonGOG » August 5th, 2016, 1:02 am

Thanks for the cool stuff you´ve handed over to gamersyde. Thought I should drop a link:
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_torment_t ... 80_en.html
( 30000kbit-Trailer, 4K-screenshots and a highres-packshot!

kaiman
Scholar

Post by kaiman » August 5th, 2016, 1:04 am

As long as inXile doesn't forget the Linux version about this, I do not really care. I am slightly concerned about the UI, though. I really do hope that any gamepad optimization is done separate from the standard mouse/keyboard interface. I do believe the D:OS EE did it that way, showing a different UI as soon as a controller was plugged in. Not 100% sure, though, as (a) I don't own a gamepad and (b) I didn't play the EE much, having already completed the standard edition.

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » August 5th, 2016, 1:17 am

kaiman wrote:As long as inXile doesn't forget the Linux version about this
I'm a Linux user too, but I don't have any serious worry about that. If anything, porting to consoles makes it easier to make a Linux version, since PS4 uses OpenGL for graphics, like Linux, and not D3D.

RadonGOG
Scholar

Post by RadonGOG » August 5th, 2016, 1:33 am

kaiman wrote:As long as inXile doesn't forget the Linux version about this, I do not really care. I am slightly concerned about the UI, though. I really do hope that any gamepad optimization is done separate from the standard mouse/keyboard interface. I do believe the D:OS EE did it that way, showing a different UI as soon as a controller was plugged in. Not 100% sure, though, as (a) I don't own a gamepad and (b) I didn't play the EE much, having already completed the standard edition.
In general, it would be a good thing if InXile could already switch to multiplatform (speaking of OSes as well as Stores) while still beeing in early access.

kaiman
Scholar

Post by kaiman » August 5th, 2016, 1:39 am

kilobug wrote:I'm a Linux user too, but I don't have any serious worry about that. If anything, porting to consoles makes it easier to make a Linux version, since PS4 uses OpenGL for graphics, like Linux, and not D3D.
That's true. Technology-wise, there might be synergies, so I am more concerned about the priorities given to each port, now that new (and widely popular) platforms are thrown into the mix.

Aramintai
Scholar

Post by Aramintai » August 5th, 2016, 1:42 am

RadonGOG wrote: In general, it would be a good thing if InXile could already switch to multiplatform (speaking of OSes as well as Stores) while still beeing in early access.
It's rarely Sony and MS allow betas on their consoles, but it's not unheard of. The most recent one I've played was Nioh on PS4 (and it's coming again at the end of the month). However, usually they're not early access but rather limited time only sort of demos. And usually they're quite polished, almost finished products. Not half-baked, bug ridden demos we usually see on Steam early access. I'm guessing demos must still have some sort of quality threshold to pass consoles' QA (and it's quite strict there).

RadonGOG
Scholar

Post by RadonGOG » August 5th, 2016, 1:49 am

Aramintai wrote:
RadonGOG wrote: In general, it would be a good thing if InXile could already switch to multiplatform (speaking of OSes as well as Stores) while still beeing in early access.
It's rarely Sony and MS allow betas on their consoles, but it's not unheard of. The most recent one I've played was Nioh on PS4 (and it's coming again at the end of the month). However, usually they're not early access but rather limited time only sort of demos. And usually they're quite polished, almost finished products. Not half-baked, bug ridden demos we usually see on Steam early access. I'm guessing demos must still have some sort of quality threshold to pass consoles' QA (and it's quite strict there).
Well yes, console stuff might take some time or probably will never be realized before release. But it would be cool if we´d progress from Win@Steam to (Win, Mac, Lin)@(Steam, GOG) in the next months!

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » August 5th, 2016, 12:04 pm

RadonGOG wrote:
Aramintai wrote:
Well yes, console stuff might take some time or probably will never be realized before release. But it would be cool if we´d progress from Win@Steam to (Win, Mac, Lin)@(Steam, GOG) in the next months!

From experience, its hardly worth it. Not because you guys arent worth it @mac and @linux users but because the fact that you basically have to support three different builds at the same time, this nearly broke our neck for WFTO basically the effort for getting the builds on par for every commitment is tripled due to the QA needed.

I can understand that its annoying for the users and i would certainly suggest and recommend a certain timeframe in early access to feature both mac and linux builds so that the issues on these Platforms are fixed before full release but this should probably a a month or two before release.

Again i say this due to experience in the QA department and i would love if that multi-platform support wouldnt be so prone to bugs and needed so much effort but from my point of view it is the only reasonable way to go about it, sadly windows has the biggest userbase