Updated Our Journal (51): De-Cyphering the Beta Release Date

Announcements & media coverage for Torment: Tides of Numenera. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

Brother None
Developer

Updated Our Journal (51): De-Cyphering the Beta Release Date

Post by Brother None » January 5th, 2016, 8:08 am

In today's update Brian brings word on the beta date and Thomas talks items.
Hello Exiles, Brian Fargo here. Here we are in 2016, 17 years after the original Planescape Torment hit the scene and became a cult classic. This is finally the year for the spiritual successor to become a reality. I’m proud to tell you that Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta will be coming to all eligible backers during the week of January 17th and to Steam Early Access on the 26th of January. The team is incredibly passionate about this game and it shows in every aspect of their work. Having the opportunity to create a wholly original experience and intricate world is exactly why we got in the games business to begin with.

The beta will start you right in the beginning of the game and is quite lengthy for an early beta. It covers the game's introductory sequence (some of which you may have already seen in the alpha) as well as most of the first major location of the game, Sagus Cliffs. Sagus is a very old city that was built on top of ancient structures that predate the return of humanity to the Ninth World. It's split into five main districts: Circus Minor, Cliff's Edge, Caravanserai, Government Square and the Underbelly. As you might expect from a city location, it is rich in lore to discover, characters to talk with and obviously quests to complete!

Of course we'll be looking to gather your feedback and use it to improve the game. During the alpha, we had a direct feedback form in the game and we'll likely provide that again, as it turned out to be an excellent way for us to gather feedback in a way that was easy for us to parse and implement. Indeed, many points from alpha feedback informed our design decisions during beta production, iteration is after all key to making our games. I look forward to gathering more unique insights from this release.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Re: Updated Our Journal (51): De-Cyphering the Beta Release Date

Post by Lord of Riva » January 5th, 2016, 8:16 am

Steam early Access? didnt expect that (im just injecting this here before i read the whole post)

im not entirely sure what to make out of it. I really really hope you guys arent running out of money on the Project, Early access is not a good way (as in its a very risky way) to keep yourself afloat (but then again im probably just worrying to much, you guys have experience).

Otherwise i welcome every player for the Beta, its a good thing if you open the feedback channels for more users.
One thing im still wodnering about, what is with the backers that never backed for beta Access, will they get access to the beta as well?

The thing is, buying the game in the Early access stage will give the costumers access to the full game upon release (except you want to sell the beta seperately on steam, which would be a strange move) but the ones backing the project for a copy not only paid for the full game as well but also were willing to put down their money for an idea, not an existing product.

to make a long story short: i would welcome giving every backer beta access for feedback purposes, i have bought beta access on the portal already and wouldnt mind sharing it for the feedback on the game.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » January 5th, 2016, 8:24 am

Lord of Riva wrote:im not entirely sure what to make out of it. I really really hope you guys arent running out of money on the Project, Early access is not a good way (as in its a very risky way) to keep yourself afloat (but then again im probably just worrying to much, you guys have experience).
We did Steam Early Access for Wasteland 2 as well.

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » January 5th, 2016, 8:54 am

sear wrote:
Lord of Riva wrote:im not entirely sure what to make out of it. I really really hope you guys arent running out of money on the Project, Early access is not a good way (as in its a very risky way) to keep yourself afloat (but then again im probably just worrying to much, you guys have experience).
We did Steam Early Access for Wasteland 2 as well.

yeah okay, never mind then. as said as long as the game isnt in trouble i definitely think its a good idea, ill stop rambling now.

DrMcCoy
Initiate

Post by DrMcCoy » January 5th, 2016, 9:08 am

On which platforms will the beta be available? Specifically, will it work on GNU/Linux?

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » January 5th, 2016, 9:20 am

Great news, good work inXile ! :)
DrMcCoy wrote:On which platforms will the beta be available? Specifically, will it work on GNU/Linux?
I fear it'll not (but I hope I'm wrong). Note that the alpha did work well (although somewhat slowly, but that was quite normal for an alpha) with wine. But yeah, I did the trouble to get it in wine for the AST where feedback on core mechanisms and "feel" was important, I won't do it for the beta so I'll probably wait the final release.

Djoan
Acolyte

Post by Djoan » January 5th, 2016, 10:07 am

Good to know, how it will work? On January 17th we will receive a email with a beta key and should activate it on Steam?

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » January 5th, 2016, 10:23 am

Djoan wrote:Good to know, how it will work? On January 17th we will receive a email with a beta key and should activate it on Steam?
We will distribute beta keys through the Torment backer site at torment.inxile-entertainment.com. We will be sending reminders when it's live, of course, likely another Kickstarter update.

We don't email keys out directly, experience has taught us they tend to get lost that way and it's better for backers to be able to retrieve them directly from their accounts.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Djoan
Acolyte

Post by Djoan » January 5th, 2016, 10:34 am

Brother None wrote:
Djoan wrote:Good to know, how it will work? On January 17th we will receive a email with a beta key and should activate it on Steam?
We will distribute beta keys through the Torment backer site at torment.inxile-entertainment.com. We will be sending reminders when it's live, of course, likely another Kickstarter update.

We don't email keys out directly, experience has taught us they tend to get lost that way and it's better for backers to be able to retrieve them directly from their accounts.
Ok thanks.

Wintermute_of_Cof
Initiate

Post by Wintermute_of_Cof » January 5th, 2016, 11:03 am

Lord of Riva wrote:The thing is, buying the game in the Early access stage will give the costumers access to the full game upon release (except you want to sell the beta seperately on steam, which would be a strange move) but the ones backing the project for a copy not only paid for the full game as well but also were willing to put down their money for an idea, not an existing product.
I've seen a few other Kickstarters I've backed do this (though I think I pledged for Tides after the Kickstarter), it is a bit of a kick in the teeth for the folk that were willing to back the project from the early stages that they won't get to play or give feedback on the game until after people who didn't support from the beginning. Having said that, it's less annoying than those projects which promise beta access then don't release a beta for Linux until after their game has already been released for Windows (which is why, in general, I've stopped backing at the beta tier for any crowdfunded project).

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » January 5th, 2016, 11:24 am

Wintermute_of_Cof wrote:
Lord of Riva wrote:The thing is, buying the game in the Early access stage will give the costumers access to the full game upon release (except you want to sell the beta seperately on steam, which would be a strange move) but the ones backing the project for a copy not only paid for the full game as well but also were willing to put down their money for an idea, not an existing product.
I've seen a few other Kickstarters I've backed do this (though I think I pledged for Tides after the Kickstarter), it is a bit of a kick in the teeth for the folk that were willing to back the project from the early stages that they won't get to play or give feedback on the game until after people who didn't support from the beginning. Having said that, it's less annoying than those projects which promise beta access then don't release a beta for Linux until after their game has already been released for Windows (which is why, in general, I've stopped backing at the beta tier for any crowdfunded project).
Hah, well i know about the troubles with Linux builds.
I guess not backing those is the best approach, as a QA guy i know exactly what the problems are having a beta build open on all plattforms, the work explodes, for the coders and the QA. I know its not really a good excuse for the people not getting it even though they should.

im with you in general, but i can see why that happens as well

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » January 5th, 2016, 1:08 pm

Wintermute_of_Cof wrote:it is a bit of a kick in the teeth for the folk that were willing to back the project from the early stages that they won't get to play or give feedback on the game until after people who didn't support from the beginning.
I disagree. Speaking as a low-tier, but early, backer ($20 Scholar True Believer tier), I don't feel at all slighted by them opening it up to early access. I didn't want or care about beta or alpha access to the game, I just wanted the completed game, which I'll get. And which I'll get for considerably cheaper than any early access backer. There's no need to feel offended on my behalf.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » January 5th, 2016, 1:22 pm

Drool wrote:
Wintermute_of_Cof wrote:it is a bit of a kick in the teeth for the folk that were willing to back the project from the early stages that they won't get to play or give feedback on the game until after people who didn't support from the beginning.
I disagree. Speaking as a low-tier, but early, backer ($20 Scholar True Believer tier), I don't feel at all slighted by them opening it up to early access. I didn't want or care about beta or alpha access to the game, I just wanted the completed game, which I'll get. And which I'll get for considerably cheaper than any early access backer. There's no need to feel offended on my behalf.
i just think it would be worthwhile for the feedback on the game, i paid for beta access and im still unsure if i should play it. thats even worse :D

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » January 5th, 2016, 2:32 pm

They opened up the beta to all backers in WL2 after the third or fourth pass, so they may do so here as well.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Azmodiuz
Acolyte

Post by Azmodiuz » January 5th, 2016, 9:54 pm

This just makes me think I should recycle my 20$ paid/pledged for Beta testing and buy another key instead, since in a week it's open beta for everyone who has the game, if it's not, I will just download it from Torrents instead. THATS what happened when steam has early access.

Alvsvartr
Initiate

Post by Alvsvartr » January 6th, 2016, 3:47 am

Awesome news, fine! Tell us please, when will it be possible to add (not to play) T:TON in my Steam Library (I have no beta access)?

Skyleaf
Initiate

Post by Skyleaf » January 6th, 2016, 8:57 pm

I don't particularly like playing unfinished games but please, by all means, for those who will be playing the beta access, leave no stones unturned. I want a polished and bug free game when I play for the first time :p

Tuth
Novice

Post by Tuth » January 7th, 2016, 1:57 am

I would gladly play both alpha and beta in order to find bugs etc. but I don't and won't have Steam. Even though I pledged for the collector's edition I'll wait for the finished game rather than use Steam.

kaiman
Scholar

Post by kaiman » January 7th, 2016, 4:21 am

I'd agree if it weren't for the fact that beta access was available as an add-on to every backer (and likely still is for the time being). As long as early access isn't cheaper, I don't think it is unfair to the backers.
Wintermute_of_Cof wrote:Having said that, it's less annoying than those projects which promise beta access then don't release a beta for Linux until after their game has already been released for Windows (which is why, in general, I've stopped backing at the beta tier for any crowdfunded project).
I've been somewhat lucky in that regard, with games like The Universim, Jenny LeClue or Hero-U, which all have a Linux offering even in alpha stage. Having said that, I am not really interested in playing betas either, mostly for not wanting to spoil the experience when the finished game arrives. Since I mostly go for collectibles, often beta access is not avoidable, though. Ignoring it is easy, of course.

Anyway: yay!

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » January 8th, 2016, 2:40 am

Brother None wrote:In today's update Brian brings word on the beta date and Thomas talks items.
The Unusual Items of the Ninth World

Thomas here.

And now I can't stop thinking about how cool it would be to take Numenera crafter build and make money by selling hand made cyphers and artifacts...
"I am a warhead of weaponized Truth." The Last Castoff (non-canon).

"Colin's period as Jesus was an interesting time." © Brother_None