Updated Our Journal (48): Third Alpha Systems Test Released, Crisis Gameplay Demoed

Announcements & media coverage for Torment: Tides of Numenera. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

Brother None
Developer

Updated Our Journal (48): Third Alpha Systems Test Released, Crisis Gameplay Demoed

Post by Brother None » October 7th, 2015, 11:16 am

Our latest Kickstarter update coincides with the released of our Crisis Alpha Systems Test, and it has an indepth explanation and video from Lead Crises Designer Jeremy Kopman about this system.
When things get tense (and, more importantly, time-sensitive) in TTON, we enter a turn-based mode. Each individual character, as well as some elements of the environment, take one turn at a time. The order in which characters act is based on an initiative roll at the start of combat. Items, skill training, and abilities can provide an edge on this roll.

In a Crisis, you control the Last Castoff and any companions you may have. When it's a character's turn, they can take one Anoetic Action, one Occultic Action, set up one Defensive Maneuver (disabled for C0), as well as move (with the movement distance available determined by items, skills, and abilities).

The Anoetic Action is a quick, optional action, useful for triggering support abilities and cyphers. These include switching weapons, activating buffs, or employing traversal abilities like teleports – for instance, the companion Aligern can activate his Living Tattoos, providing a buff to the next action he takes. PCs don't need to use their Anoetic Action every turn, but when the circumstances are right they provide an opportunity to maximize effects and add to your tactical advantage.

Occultic Actions are the main actions for the turn. Attacks, most esoteries, and more complex and powerful cyphers consume this action. Alternately, PCs can use this action to interact with objects in the environment or even strike up a (fast-paced) conversation with their enemies. As described in the Crisis Concept document, interacting with objects and people is a key part of our Crisis design. Taking advantage of these options can tip the scales of a combat encounter or even end it outright.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Orphansmith
Initiate

Re: Updated Our Journal (48): Third Alpha Systems Test Released, Crisis Gameplay Demoed

Post by Orphansmith » October 7th, 2015, 12:29 pm

Question: If we buy into the alpha systems test now, would we be able to test the older systems, or only the current one?

RadonGOG
Scholar

Re: Updated Our Journal (48): Third Alpha Systems Test Released, Crisis Gameplay Demoed

Post by RadonGOG » October 7th, 2015, 2:17 pm

1st: The environments are very suiting!
2nd: It looks like you´ve managed to reach the level of quality you were promising in your crisis document.
3rd: The interface... arggh... well, the dialog part already looks nice, but the rest doesn´t...
4th: I´m very happy that turn based combat was the winner, as it looks like you did a good job with the combat!
5th: As some youtubers already said: Get yourself the time you need! No problem if you have to announce it´ll get delayed to end of 2016, as long as you reach the targeted quality throughout the whole game and don´t have to finetune it for months!
This is nothing that should get an Enhanced/ Directors/ Definitive/ Whatever-Edition, it already should be what it wants to be at release day!

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » October 7th, 2015, 6:20 pm

Interface looks good to me, very functional and good use of color for the mechanics. Also good they aren't using a crappy radial interface like PST.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

RadonGOG
Scholar

Post by RadonGOG » October 7th, 2015, 11:31 pm

Well, you are right if you watch the elements separately, was a point of view I I missed in my previous post. BUT if you take a look at the interface from a "sum of the parts"-perspective you´ll see that they are not fitting together at all.

But yup, not using the Radial Menu of PST is a good choice. Planescape Interface had a lot of style, but it wasn´t that functional at all...

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » October 8th, 2015, 7:36 am

RadonGOG wrote: 3rd: The interface... arggh... well, the dialog part already looks nice, but the rest doesn´t...
Hence the big old "Temporary UI" at the opening! Far from done with interfaces, in look or flow.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

RadonGOG
Scholar

Post by RadonGOG » October 8th, 2015, 12:25 pm

Brother None wrote:
RadonGOG wrote: 3rd: The interface... arggh... well, the dialog part already looks nice, but the rest doesn´t...
Hence the big old "Temporary UI" at the opening! Far from done with interfaces, in look or flow.
Awesome how I managed to miss that line damn three times... :D

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » October 8th, 2015, 9:39 pm

ToEE also had radial interface and it was annoying too. No idea why the devs thought it was a good idea.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Toxxus
Initiate

Post by Toxxus » October 10th, 2015, 10:04 am

I have alpha access, but no idea how to download this on steam. It doesn't show up in any of the searches there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » October 10th, 2015, 12:13 pm

Toxxus wrote:I have alpha access, but no idea how to download this on steam. It doesn't show up in any of the searches there.

We've emailed all backers to tell them how to access the AST, but if you haven't registered on the Torment site or the email isn't reaching you for whatever reason:

1. Sign up/login here: https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/
2. Visit your Account -> Rewards page, then click "Manage Keys" on the reward you get your AST with
3. Follow the instructions and use the buttons to claim your AST Steam key
4. Redeem the key on Steam
5. Enjoy!

Orpheus the Bard
Scholar

Post by Orpheus the Bard » November 4th, 2015, 2:47 am

I think this is where I'm meant to go to get Alpha.

Orpheus the Bard
Scholar

Post by Orpheus the Bard » November 4th, 2015, 5:07 am

sear wrote:
Toxxus wrote:I have alpha access, but no idea how to download this on steam. It doesn't show up in any of the searches there.

We've emailed all backers to tell them how to access the AST, but if you haven't registered on the Torment site or the email isn't reaching you for whatever reason:

1. Sign up/login here: https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/
2. Visit your Account -> Rewards page, then click "Manage Keys" on the reward you get your AST with
3. Follow the instructions and use the buttons to claim your AST Steam key
4. Redeem the key on Steam
5. Enjoy!

Y'know, when I finally logged onto Backers website. I found that I had nothing at all, despite backing the Kick-Starter at "Behinds the Scenes" level where I should have Alpha access. Sorry, I never knew about this almost a month ago when it was started. Reading e-mails isn't always my highest priority and yet, I was wondering if the Alpha still works?

I haven't spent any money on the new backers site, because I can't spare it right now. Yet, I the backers site and the succeeded KS site be linked. it seems so wrong I can't get this key right now. It should be mine.

Cheers....

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » November 4th, 2015, 5:23 am

Orpheus the Bard wrote: Y'know, when I finally logged onto Backers website. I found that I had nothing at all, despite backing the Kick-Starter at "Behinds the Scenes" level where I should have Alpha access. Sorry, I never knew about this almost a month ago when it was started. Reading e-mails isn't always my highest priority and yet, I was wondering if the Alpha still works?
I think you're confusing the two games - the AST that are online (and this thread) are for _Torment_ not for _Bard's Tale_. Bard's Tale is still in preproduction. Your pledge at "Behind the Scenes" on Bard's Tale don't grant any Torment-related thing AFAIK.

vv221
Forum Moderator

Post by vv221 » November 4th, 2015, 5:24 am

Orpheus the Bard wrote:(...)
Don’t panic ;)

inXile staff will most probably sort this out. Just wait for the day to give them time to contact you here and give you instructions, and if they don’t give you a heads up before tomorrow send their an e-mail explaining your problem: support@inxile.net

-----

I think kilobug might have spotten the problem here.
Did you back Torment during its Kickstaster? It’s as far as I know the only way to be granted an acces to the alpha/beta tests.

Backing The Bard’s Tale, even at an alpha/beta level, won’t give you acces to Torment alpha/beta.

Orpheus the Bard
Scholar

Post by Orpheus the Bard » November 4th, 2015, 5:56 am

kilobug wrote:
Orpheus the Bard wrote: Y'know, when I finally logged onto Backers website. I found that I had nothing at all, despite backing the Kick-Starter at "Behinds the Scenes" level where I should have Alpha access. Sorry, I never knew about this almost a month ago when it was started. Reading e-mails isn't always my highest priority and yet, I was wondering if the Alpha still works?
I think you're confusing the two games - the AST that are online (and this thread) are for _Torment_ not for _Bard's Tale_. Bard's Tale is still in preproduction. Your pledge at "Behind the Scenes" on Bard's Tale don't grant any Torment-related thing AFAIK.
Oh, maybe it's not wonder I haven't heard. I though this was for Bard's Tale only and not he other. yet, I really blame the lines are so blurred here.

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » November 4th, 2015, 8:55 am

well that solves the issue then, well lets meet again for the BT alphas then :D

Azmodiuz
Acolyte

Post by Azmodiuz » December 3rd, 2015, 1:21 pm

I'd like to know when the Beta will be released, even if just an estimate, are we thinking next year ? 2017 ? any month in particular ?

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » December 4th, 2015, 12:15 am

The release is still aimed for 2016, I would estimate a beta in Q2 2016 and release late Q3/early Q4. But just a wild guess ;)

dorkboy
Master

Post by dorkboy » December 4th, 2015, 3:22 am

Azmodiuz wrote:I'd like to know when the Beta will be released, even if just an estimate, are we thinking next year ? 2017 ? any month in particular ?
https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/
The Torment Beta Test is planned for 2015, and release of the final game in 2016.
If 2015, then my money would be on December. ;)
marmelade & jam

Azmodiuz
Acolyte

Post by Azmodiuz » December 6th, 2015, 8:51 pm

2016 is just 3 weeks away, so guess the release for the beta has changed. Coming out at this point is just a waste, might as well wait until next year instead of just rushing it, nothing worse then not only breaking your word but keeping your word to only defeat the point.