Can't go past start menu - please help

If you need assistance with a technical issue, this forum is for you. Specifically for help with Wasteland 2 itself. Spoilers are allowed, but spoiler warning tags are recommended.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

pouet007
Initiate

Can't go past start menu - please help

Post by pouet007 » March 18th, 2017, 11:01 am

Hi,

I played the game on launch and I never had an issue, I decided today to try the director's cut and I'm unable to play the game.

First I had the crash on start issue, the game wouldn't event start, just righ on crash. I fixed this by adding the "force DX9" on launch option as explained here https://steamcommunity.com/app/240760/d ... 420555366/

The game starts now but I can't click on any option in the menu, can't start new game, can't go to option, can't click anything. This is really disapointing since I already played the damn game without any of those issues.

I run Win10, ATI 480 8g, I5 4570s, 8g RAM

Thanks for your help

BlakeStone
Explorer

Re: Can't go past start menu - please help

Post by BlakeStone » March 18th, 2017, 11:36 am

try the usual:
latest video card drivers from the web (not the cd with the card)
latest audio drivers
steam "Verify Integrity of Game Files..."
finally, uninstall/reinstall fresh
A bunch of raw recruits and you untied the goddamn Gordian knot. -General Vargas

pouet007
Initiate

Post by pouet007 » March 18th, 2017, 11:43 am

Thanks for your answer, I did those already.

Edit: 3 installs now, just to make sure. Verified games files more than I can count. Still can't play the game.

BlakeStone
Explorer

Post by BlakeStone » March 19th, 2017, 8:53 am

bummer. not sure what the issue would be then. seems it should have worked by the 2nd install.

Try turning off steam cloud and deleting or at least moving all the save games out of the save games folder and delete the toc.txt file.
A bunch of raw recruits and you untied the goddamn Gordian knot. -General Vargas

pouet007
Initiate

Post by pouet007 » March 19th, 2017, 9:32 am

There were no save game since I uninstalled the normal edition after finishing the game many months ago (no wasteland directory in my documents), and I don't know where is this toc.txt file, can you tell me where it is plz? thx

BlakeStone
Explorer

Post by BlakeStone » March 19th, 2017, 10:58 am

look in \Documents\My Games\Wasteland2DC\Save Games\

pouet007
Initiate

Post by pouet007 » March 19th, 2017, 11:17 am

I uninstalled the game again, deteleted all files and folders related to W2, did a registry clean, installed again; there is no file in the save games.

Again, W2 was uninstalled some time ago, I did that cleanly and deleted all files related to the game as usual, so there was no reason that some save were left. Moreover, W2DC was never installed on my pc before I decided to try it, so there was no \Documents\My Games\Wasteland2DC\Save Games\ folder to begin with, therefore no save.

I still have no idea about the toc.txt file you talked about though.

After the newest install 5min ago, still same issue, mouse pointer is out of place in the menu, it's possible to click on some options but you have to hover the pointer like 10cm from the actual option. Unplayable, as I said.

Is there some possibility to contact tech support to get more help?

thx

Grohal
Adventurer

Post by Grohal » March 20th, 2017, 4:45 am

Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

pouet007
Initiate

Post by pouet007 » March 20th, 2017, 9:40 am

Thanks man, I submited a request; I hope it'll give me a solution to let me play the game. Meanwhile, I'm open to every suggestion you guys have regarding my issue ^^

pouet007
Initiate

Post by pouet007 » March 21st, 2017, 10:29 am

So, I got a quick answer from Inxile support, I'm pretty happy for that ^^

Moreover, they solved my problem. Here is the solution that worked for me in case others get the same issue;

inXile Entertainment (inXile Entertainment)
Mar 20, 6:41 PM PDT

Thanks! If you're no longer getting crashes, that's great. :)

As for the mouse problem - we've received reports of this before, and have discovered that it's often caused by third-party software and/or video driver features, particularly:

NVIDIA G-Sync (probably not in your case)
NVIDIA DSR (same)
AMD FreeSync
GeDoSaTo
Any other software which does some kind of resolution upscaling.
Third-party hardware or software monitoring overlays (i.e. framerates, temperatures, etc.)

If you are using any of those, can you see if disabling those features prevents the mouse coordinate issue from occurring?

In my case, deleting gedosato seemed to be what solved the issue, since I don't use any of the others on my system.

Thanks for the help guys!