Are stripping weapon percentages incorrect?

If you need assistance with a technical issue, this forum is for you. Specifically for help with Wasteland 2 itself. Spoilers are allowed, but spoiler warning tags are recommended.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Gruftlord
Explorer

Re: Are stripping weapon percentages incorrect?

Post by Gruftlord » December 1st, 2015, 12:02 pm

tonurics wrote:I created a ticket to have the support team double check what's going on with the displayed numbers. I'll let you know if I hear anything.
Thank you!

macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting » December 1st, 2015, 12:59 pm

Seconded! Thank you! I can rest easy knowing I'll get an answer in time.

That said, since somebody mentioned it, I suddenly have this huge hankering to put in a feature request to see my die rolls. I know it's not actually important for most purposes, but gosh darnit, it was a really fun feature in the original Baldur's Gate, and I always turned it on.

Empiro
Initiate

Post by Empiro » December 12th, 2015, 1:32 am

Just wanted to add that I've experienced the same exact issue: way too many fragments (even on weapons that should only have 15% fragment chance).

As a side note about RNGs in software: I write software for a living, and I'll say that even fairly poor RNG will give you results that are indistinguishable from good RNGs in most situations. However, the problem almost always comes from how you use the random numbers you get. One good example is in an old version of Windows when you select your browser. It was supposed to show you the choices in random order, but a bug (not in the RNG itself) caused the choices to come out "kinda random" but with significant bias toward certain choices.

marceror
Adventurer

Post by marceror » January 14th, 2016, 5:18 pm

Nice to see a dev posting here. Yeah, this thread was never a RNG is broken thread. It's all about weapon stripping, and a very noticeable change in results that occurred from what was happening in WL2 and WL2:DC -- and which consequently, no longer seems to jive with the stated percentages, as it did prior to DC.

Talk all the theory you want... but sumpin' done changed! ;)

Ryoandr
Novice

Post by Ryoandr » February 18th, 2016, 3:21 pm

bumping for news.

Longshot McSnipe
Initiate

Post by Longshot McSnipe » March 8th, 2016, 12:54 pm

Bump for news and also to say I'm seeing the same thing. The RNG code definitely has problems both with trending and just returning probabilities different from what's shown on the screen. This happens not only with stripping weapons but also with lock picking, brute force, and safe cracking. I've had instances where I had 95% or 97% chance to succeed and failed 5 times in a row. I know this is statistically possible, but it is highly unlikely and shouldn't happen more than ones or twice in the entirety of game play.

Please let us know when a fix might be arriving.

tonurics
Explorer

Post by tonurics » March 10th, 2016, 12:47 am

Sorry for the long delay, I'm happy to report that just heard back from the support team on this and they did discover a logic error in how the weapon stripping was implemented.

Basically, a shuffled list of outcomes is created during stripping based on your skill level. But someone erroneously added logic that changed the final entry in that list to always be junk; giving a significant bias to junk (over 50% in some cases). A fix has already been submitted and it should appear in the next patch.
This account is dormant. I won't be responding to threads, quotes or private massages.

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » March 10th, 2016, 7:18 am

tonurics wrote:Sorry for the long delay, I'm happy to report that just heard back from the support team on this and they did discover a logic error in how the weapon stripping was implemented.

Basically, a shuffled list of outcomes is created during stripping based on your skill level. But someone erroneously added logic that changed the final entry in that list to always be junk; giving a significant bias to junk (over 50% in some cases). A fix has already been submitted and it should appear in the next patch.
WHOA. That's a pretty big logic error!

Gruftlord
Explorer

Post by Gruftlord » March 11th, 2016, 3:50 am

Awesome, i was beginning to loose hope for a next patch.

weezl
Initiate

Post by weezl » April 5th, 2016, 10:35 am

tonurics wrote:Sorry for the long delay, I'm happy to report that just heard back from the support team on this and they did discover a logic error in how the weapon stripping was implemented.

When is the patch out (that includes this fix)?
Not seeing anything under "News & Announcements"...

Ryoandr
Novice

Post by Ryoandr » May 3rd, 2016, 10:16 pm

bump for news

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » May 4th, 2016, 12:35 am

Yeah, I know focus is now on TTON and BT4, but it would be nice to get a new build of WL2 with the bugs fixed since the last patch, even if it's just a few fixes, it's a bit sad to have a somewhat annoying bug like that fixed "upstream" one month ago, but players still have the bug.

macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting » May 10th, 2016, 10:31 pm

Figured it was something like that, though I could never rule out the possibility of bias on my own part. I mean, how can one?

Anyway, any clue on when that patch might go through?

Gruftlord
Explorer

Post by Gruftlord » May 25th, 2016, 1:18 pm

In celebration of the tenth anniversary of the announcement of Half Life 2: Episode 3 i have to ask:
Any news on that next patch? :P

Gruftlord
Explorer

Post by Gruftlord » September 12th, 2016, 3:35 am

I'm quite disappointed honestly. Radio silence after a final patch was axed is what I would expect from a big publisher, not an independent studio.

marceror
Adventurer

Post by marceror » October 29th, 2016, 4:39 pm

Was there another patch since you made this post in March? The issue doesn't seem to be resolved as I play in late October.

Ryoandr
Novice

Post by Ryoandr » December 19th, 2016, 4:39 am

will this ever be corrected ? Is winstore version the same ?

Ryoandr
Novice

Post by Ryoandr » January 23rd, 2017, 4:13 am

bump

Lix
Acolyte

Post by Lix » January 26th, 2017, 2:43 pm

bump

Ryoandr
Novice

Post by Ryoandr » July 12th, 2017, 3:04 pm

so will this get patched before W3 release ? I would like to replay W2 before doing W3.
Heck, even Half-Life got patched...