[Linux] Game Crashes and Missing Text

If you need assistance with a technical issue, this forum is for you. Specifically for help with Wasteland 2 itself. Spoilers are allowed, but spoiler warning tags are recommended.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

tonurics
Explorer

Re: [Linux] Game Crashes and Missing Text

Post by tonurics » October 19th, 2015, 3:37 pm

kDomb98: Thanks for the bug report. ;)

I think you might be on to something; a ticket is being created to have someone audit the file handlers. Based on the output of your lsof, it looks like a handler isn't getting disposed of properly somewhere.
This account is dormant. I won't be responding to threads, quotes or private massages.

macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting » October 19th, 2015, 6:07 pm

THANK YOU! I imagine it'd be unreasonable to ask for an idea of when this might get patched at this point?

PangaeaTNO
Scholar

Post by PangaeaTNO » November 5th, 2015, 10:34 pm

Didn't notice anything in the patch notes about this bug, so is it still not fixed?

kDomb98
Initiate

Post by kDomb98 » November 6th, 2015, 6:22 am

not fixed...
even worse i have now even more crashes than before

macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting » November 6th, 2015, 8:58 am

Darn. I was waiting for this, 'cause I didn't want to change my system in such an odd way to get the game to work.

Next patch, perhaps.

bernds
Initiate

Post by bernds » November 9th, 2015, 6:56 am

kDomb98 wrote:Looks like a bug in the dc.
The game seems to open some files multiple times:

As you can see some resource files are opened 100 or 1000 times.
1926 open files after loading my saved game.
That does not look right to me :(
If you open a file in c it looks like this:

Code: Select all

FILE *fp;
fp=fopen("/foo/bar/baz.data", "r");
// read data etc...
fclose(fp);
I have the same issue. Does it ever stop opening that file? If not, upping the limits is a temporary solution at best.

tonurics
Explorer

Post by tonurics » November 9th, 2015, 12:08 pm

Thanks for following up guys,

I just spoke with the programmer who worked on this support ticket. He said: after auditing the code, he only found a couple of instances of open files not being closed, and that were on very minor things (like when a user opens the options menu). That doesn't explain the large number of open file handles being created. So our current thought is: that this is a bug in Unity 3D itself; and we've followed up with the team over there.

(The aforementioned unclosed handles were fixed in the previous PC patch. But being so minor: they weren't mentioned in the changelog.)
This account is dormant. I won't be responding to threads, quotes or private massages.

macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting » November 9th, 2015, 7:21 pm

Interesting. So there's certainly no ETA on a fix for this specific problem, given it's out of your hands?

tonurics
Explorer

Post by tonurics » November 9th, 2015, 7:40 pm

Unfortunately, no ETAs on this.

macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting » November 10th, 2015, 4:11 pm

Seems reasonable, if highly unfortunate. You will keep us in mind if it gets fixed, though, right? Notify us if something has come of the matter?

Think of me? Think of me fondly?

PangaeaTNO
Scholar

Post by PangaeaTNO » November 11th, 2015, 8:18 am

Very disappointing as it means I can't play the game, but if it's a Unity issue instead of a game issue, then it's hard to fix of course. Probably a good idea to not rely on Unity for the future tbh.

Whatever is the cause of this, it didn't exist in the original version of the game, at least on my end.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » November 11th, 2015, 9:11 am

PangaeaTNO wrote:Very disappointing as it means I can't play the game, but if it's a Unity issue instead of a game issue, then it's hard to fix of course. Probably a good idea to not rely on Unity for the future tbh.

Whatever is the cause of this, it didn't exist in the original version of the game, at least on my end.
I wouldn't wait on editing the open files limit. It's not going to wreck your computer or cause issues, and you can always change it back after you're done playing.

tonurics
Explorer

Post by tonurics » November 11th, 2015, 6:20 pm

Even though this is a Unity3D engine issue, we have been running experiments on our end for possible workarounds. But it's very possible any "real fix" will need to come from the Unity3D team.

To build on what sear wrote and give everyone a little more information:

Your Linux system has Hard and Soft limits on the number of open file handles any one process can open. The Hard limit is controlled by root, while the Soft limit is controlled by the user. You can arbitrarily raise and lower the Soft limit to anything you want, as long as the value is below the Hard limit. The limits exist to prevent any one process opening up too many files, causing the system to run out of memory and various other bad things [with the limits: the misbehaving process locks up, instead of the whole system crashing]. Window's doesn't have these sort of limits, over there: each process can open ~16 million file handles (or until the system runs out of memory).

You can see your current Hard limit by running this in a terminal:

ulimit -Hn
You can see your Soft limit with this:

ulimit -Sn
You can temporarily change the Soft limit of your terminal [technically the shell session running in the terminal] by running the same command but with a number on the end (ideally, set this to match your Hard limit):

ulimit -Sn #
The above Soft limit will only apply to programs run from your terminal. Which means you can start WL2 in your terminal with a high Soft limit, but none of the other programs on your system will be affected by the change. And once you close the terminal the changes will be gone, and the next terminal you open will have the default Soft limit.

If you want to change the defaults or raise the Hard limit, you'll need to edit the prior mentioned configuration files: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=14060#p159807 . On a modern system with plenty of memory, it's probably safe to set your default limit to a million (or more).

macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting » November 17th, 2015, 7:10 pm

That proves doable. Now I just need to make sure I have the most recent version so I have the fixes.

promet
Initiate

Post by promet » May 1st, 2016, 4:48 pm

Heya,

Just went through an, almost, "lost weekend" trying to resolve this and, turns out, I have found a solution. In my case at least. Please see the below thread on the Unity3d support forum where a, very intrepid, gamer provided a solution that worked for me (no idea how he/she figured this out, as it is obscure, even by Linux game troubleshooting standards, imho; but blessings on them):

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/severa ... ng.369943/

I did a:

$> locate libpulse-simple 
from my terminal and dutifully renamed each occurrence of the libs with a "-bak" suffix, and the game started up without complaint after that.

NOTE: these instances of libpulse-simple occurred in my default systems' lib folder, i.e. "/usr/lib/..."; there are some other instances in my user's steam folders, i.e. :

".steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpulse-simple.so.0" 
, etc.

I did not rename these versions; mainly out of laziness at first, I must admit :P . But, turns out, since my GOG install is using my native libs, no need to rename, move, screw with Steam lib versions.

ALSO NOTE: This appears to be a fix for several more Unity3d games with this particular type of segfault issue (one of the posters in the above forum link gives an, at least partial, list of these other titles...)

Anyways, hope this helps some intrepid wastelander out there in the future.

Best,

Promet

tonurics
Explorer

Post by tonurics » May 3rd, 2016, 5:01 pm

Thanks for sharing your discovery. I vaguely remember something along these lines being reported in the past, and the solution then was to just have people install and run PulseAudio; so it's good to see an alternative put forward.

In theory: since you aren't actually using PulseAudio [which is the problem in the first place], removing some of it's libraries might not break things. A safer approach would be to create a chroot sandbox omitting the PulseAudio libraries, maybe using UnionFS to avoid wasting space duplicating your root.

Officially, our Linux support target is Ubuntu [12.04 LTS specifically]. The vast majority of cross platform Win/Lin/Mac games use the same target; that's because it's what the Linux version of Steam calls for. Hopefully, knowing that will help debug and save you some future "lost weekends" with your other games. ;)

Rzarkrusz Rowa
Acolyte

Post by Rzarkrusz Rowa » December 8th, 2017, 10:24 pm

tonurics wrote: ↑
November 11th, 2015, 6:20 pm
Even though this is a Unity3D engine issue, we have been running experiments on our end for possible workarounds. But it's very possible any "real fix" will need to come from the Unity3D team.

To build on what sear wrote and give everyone a little more information:

Your Linux system has Hard and Soft limits on the number of open file handles any one process can open. The Hard limit is controlled by root, while the Soft limit is controlled by the user. You can arbitrarily raise and lower the Soft limit to anything you want, as long as the value is below the Hard limit. The limits exist to prevent any one process opening up too many files, causing the system to run out of memory and various other bad things [with the limits: the misbehaving process locks up, instead of the whole system crashing]. Window's doesn't have these sort of limits, over there: each process can open ~16 million file handles (or until the system runs out of memory).

You can see your current Hard limit by running this in a terminal:

ulimit -Hn
You can see your Soft limit with this:

ulimit -Sn
You can temporarily change the Soft limit of your terminal [technically the shell session running in the terminal] by running the same command but with a number on the end (ideally, set this to match your Hard limit):

ulimit -Sn #
The above Soft limit will only apply to programs run from your terminal. Which means you can start WL2 in your terminal with a high Soft limit, but none of the other programs on your system will be affected by the change. And once you close the terminal the changes will be gone, and the next terminal you open will have the default Soft limit.

If you want to change the defaults or raise the Hard limit, you'll need to edit the prior mentioned configuration files: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=14060#p159807 . On a modern system with plenty of memory, it's probably safe to set your default limit to a million (or more).
Whoa, I finally can play the game. Just got additional 4GB of RAM and thought that I'll try playing it again. Only to see that bug. This time I decided to check out the forums.

I find it fascinating that there is such a contrived mechanism, taking into account that there are no straightforward limitations on how much memory programs can use and for example Firefox can cause the system to shit itself by pre-loading multiple GBs of embedded youtube videos.