Linux Nvidia reports no VRAM

If you need assistance with a technical issue, this forum is for you. Specifically for help with Wasteland 2 itself. Spoilers are allowed, but spoiler warning tags are recommended.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Claimant
Initiate

Linux Nvidia reports no VRAM

Post by Claimant » January 17th, 2015, 6:31 pm

Any advice appreciated.

Game is crashing on login screen, showing triangle of video from bottom to middle of screen first. Looking through Player.log I see GPU_Memory_info_dedicated_vidmem_nvx: 0
OpenGL:
Version: OpenGL 2.1 [2.1.2 NVIDIA 343.36]
VRAM: 0 MB

Running on gentoo, packages up-to-date as of 14Jan15. GOG 1.7.0.11 download. Same symptoms with, or without, the layman package install.

I'm guessing this is an issue with my system / nvidia install rather than the game, but I'm not sure why or how it's happening to figure out what I need to do for repair.

VideoCard is Asus-branded GeForce 750Ti. NVidia software shows 2G of memory, so the driver apears to know about it all.

tonurics
Explorer

Re: Linux Nvidia reports no VRAM

Post by tonurics » January 21st, 2015, 7:53 pm

I was going over some of the log files you shared with the support team and I think the problem is related to your video driver. More specifically: you may have the wrong version of the driver or that your card is soo new that it is not fully supported in Linux yet. :oops:

This is a problem (Player.log):

Code: Select all

GPU_Memory_info_dedicated_vidmem_nvx: 0

VRAM:     0 MB
OpenGL should be reporting numbers there.

Also the systeminfo.sh you ran, issues this command to detect your video card:

lspci | grep VGA
Your systeminfo.txt has an empty line, when it should say something like "NVIDIA Corporation GM107 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti]"; indicating that it couldn't find a VGA controller.

Try running glxgears (you might need to install it), it's a simple GLX demo program that's useful for detecting if OpenGL is working correctly and let us know what happens. (It has a companion program glxinfo that might also prove useful.)

Oddly enough, this is commonly reported and can be safely ignored (Player.log):

GL: Detected 0 MB VRAM
This account is dormant. I won't be responding to threads, quotes or private massages.

Claimant
Initiate

Post by Claimant » January 21st, 2015, 8:47 pm

I greatly appreciate your help. Unfortunately, it leaves me still confused. I installed glxinfo & glxgears. The latter shows 65 fps for the 1st five seconds, and 60fps +/- 0.05 thereafter. The former has a rather large output. I'm not sure if you wanted this emailed to the support as additional info, so I have not done so.

Only reason I can think of that "lspci | grep VGA" may have been blank is if it was run at user rather than root level. User doesn't have access to lspci. The output of that is:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti] (rev a2)
I don't think this card is bleeding edge. But I did check whether it should take current or old-support drivers at install time, and installed the current per results then. I will try to revisit that tomorrow if time allows.

If, instead, this is a problem that the game requires full root privilege to run, it will be relegated to the dustbin until I can afford to have the necessary hardware level offline only. Both of the problem lines within the Player.log that you mentioned remain the same. nvidia-settings shows NVIDIA Driver Version 343.36 and 2048 MB of total memory. Only other way I can see for it to find 0 memory is if it's trying to activate a nouveau driver, which is not enabled in the kernel. Again, I checked instructions at install time to get the NVidia proprietary drivers right, but I'll review that to ensure they're set up correctly.

tonurics
Explorer

Post by tonurics » January 22nd, 2015, 11:25 am

Go ahead and send the glxinfo to support (or use pastebin to share with the forums). Honestly: I'm kinda just shooting in the dark, hoping to spot something to explain the zero memory issue in OpenGL.

I don't believe, I've encountered needing elevated permissions for lspci before. But again, I spend most of my time on Debian and Arch. I wrote off Gentoo years ago; after day two of a four day compile. :)

The GM107 is part of the newest Nvidia architecture: Maxwell. I've had trouble in the past with slow support for new architectures from Nvidia on Linux; I don't know if that's a problem here, but something to think about.

The game definitely doesn't need root privileges to run. But having said that: we've had a few issues in the past were users originally ran WL2 as root and their configuration files were created with root as owner. I assume this is not something you've done. ;)

I've never done this myself, but in theory, you could: copy your WL2 install to a USB drive, grab a live cd of Ubuntu (make sure it's using the correct video drivers), and try running WL2 in the live environment. That would help rule out issues with your installed system. (The game itself is portable, you just need to fulfill the dependencies.)
This account is dormant. I won't be responding to threads, quotes or private massages.

Claimant
Initiate

Post by Claimant » January 22nd, 2015, 4:15 pm

I've sent the files on to my support contact. I definitely did not install via root, so that shouldn't be the issue. Unfortunately for me, I am not a frequent game-player and don't maintain knowledge of how graphics work & have developed.

If this problem does translate to too new a video card, I'll shelve the game. I've blown quite a bit on a new computer since GoG wouldn't support it on the old hardware. I'm in the hole an unjustifiable amount for a diversion based on memories of the original.

As for the various unices, I miss BSD and may yet return to it, but last I tried it (10+ years) they didn't have support for many of the desktop level items I needed, so I moved back to linux. With the systemd happenings and the rampant increase of corp-backed developers being told to do "good enough" work which appears (to this novice) to translate into more and more issues, I'm demanding more authority over what runs on my hardware.

Thanks for the help.

tonurics
Explorer

Post by tonurics » January 22nd, 2015, 8:35 pm

This was in the glxinfo you sent:

direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 750 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
This means that everything is getting sent to your X server to render, but hardware is available (it's just up to your X server to use it). You want direct rendering turned on. Take a look here for info on debugging: http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/glxinfo/

Claimant
Initiate

Post by Claimant » January 24th, 2015, 3:59 pm

Looks like rendering was the problem. Thankfully steam support suggested checking for a video group, as all the rendering debug methods suggested otherwise gave no output.

Thank you for the help!

tonurics
Explorer

Post by tonurics » January 25th, 2015, 11:41 pm

Glad to hear we finally got it sorted; it's always the simple things, right? :lol:

FYI, these are my user groups:

disk lp wheel games network video audio optical floppy storage power users
Missing one of those was/is probably the reason lspci requires root on your system.

In any case, enjoy Wasteland 2! ;)