Alt-Tab mouse bug

If you need assistance with a technical issue, this forum is for you. Specifically for help with Wasteland 2 itself. Spoilers are allowed, but spoiler warning tags are recommended.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

FazJaxton
Initiate

Alt-Tab mouse bug

Post by FazJaxton »

My mouse seems to work fine when I start the game, but if I alt-tab out of it then switch back, the mouse will often get stuck in a small area of the screen. This area is at the bottom of the screen near the middle or slightly to the left. I believe it is proportional to my screen size, but only about 10-15% of the width of the screen. I can move the mouse around in this area, but it will not move outside the area. If I alt-tab away again and return, the mouse can move around the entire screen, but when I click, it does not affect the thing I clicked on, and it will return to the small area and again be stuck there. For instance, I can bring up the menu with ESC, and move the mouse to it, but when I click to save, exit, or anything it doesn't work, and the mouse jumps to the small area at the bottom and gets stuck again.

I am running Windows Vista, and playing Wasteland under Steam, so I believe it is up to date. It had this problem before the most recent patch, and still has it after the patch.

I'm glad to provide any info needed. This is a great game!
Cybernetic Barry
Initiate

Re: Alt-Tab mouse bug

Post by Cybernetic Barry »

Yeah, this is happening to me as well. It sometimes persists between closing the game with alt-f4 and starting it again as well. I'm also using Vista, and the steam version.
Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra »

Just curious - and note that my green name does not give me special access to inXile or source code or anything like that - but what resolution are you guys playing at? Do you have any other applications running? When I get mouse behavior like that it seems it's often because it's 'trapped' in another program window, or because the game window is at a different resolution from my native desktop. Probably not in this case ... again, just curious.
Kangamangus
Initiate

Post by Kangamangus »

I'm having the same issue. Also playing on Vista. Alt+F4, restart game, same problem.

Updated: Problem fixed after verifying game integrity. Had to re-download a file. Won't be alt-tabbing when playing this game.
FazJaxton
Initiate

Post by FazJaxton »

I am playing at 1680x1050, which is the same as my desktop resolution. I just have a web browser running in the background, and the Steam window of course. Nothing that I think would grab the mouse pointer.
Kangamangus
Initiate

Post by Kangamangus »

I'm also running 1680x1050. Maybe it's just coincidence, but there might be something there.
Cybernetic Barry
Initiate

I'm running at 1920x1080, and the only other things i had running were a web browser and steam.
Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra »

I'd try closing the Steam window, but I guess it probably won't help. Sounds like a Vista issue.
sear
Developer

Post by sear »

Is everyone here affected by this issue running Vista?
Cybernetic Barry
Initiate

Seems that way. It looks like alt-tab starts it (but not every time you alt-tab, because it works fine most of the time), and restarting the game usually fixes it, but not always. I've also had it happen using the steam overlay. I don't know if it's important, but the tiny rectangle that the cursor is limited to is able to be interacted with, in my case it's usually over the last couple of character portraits and the selected weapon, I can click those UI elements just fine.
FazJaxton
Initiate

Post by FazJaxton »

My experience has been the same as Barry's, that I can interact in the small cursor area, but not move outside of it. I mentioned it above, but I am running Vista too. For what it's worth, I frequently alt-tab out of other steam games on Vista and do not remember having this problem before.
sear
Developer

Post by sear »

This doesn't seem to be something we can reproduce internally or using our dedicated QA guys. Still looking into it.

Do you guys have 32-bit Vista or 64-bit? Just want to see if there is any consistency there (I doubt it would make a difference).

My money is still on some sort of weird third-party program conflict, anti-virus, etc.
erloas
Initiate

Post by erloas »

I'm having a similar but different problem.

Quite often when I'm playing it will refuse to acknowledge my move commands. Sometimes if I click a bunch it will eventually work but in some cases it never wants to. This happens in combat and out of combat. I've had one other time where I was trying to open a locked chest and it would show me it was locked and give me the description, but as soon as I activated the skill and tried to use it on the chest it would not highlight the door and start. It worked after leaving the game and starting up again.

It doesn't seem to make a difference if I alt-tab out of the game or not. Sometimes it works great for a long period of time and others it starts acting up right away.

I'm using the Steam version and I'm on Windows 7 64 bit.

I was going to try turning on the software cursor option but I haven't had a chance yet.
FazJaxton
Initiate

Post by FazJaxton »

This is probably appropriate for a new thread, but I also have erloas' problem on Vista. I sometimes find that rotating and/or panning my view will make it so my move command will work. As far as using skills/items, I have seen the character run up to the object, but not perform the action once there. Usually several attempts at the command will work, and I feel like changing the view might have helped here too, but I'm not sure. This one doesn't happen to me that much.
sear
Developer

Post by sear »

erloas wrote:I'm having a similar but different problem.

Quite often when I'm playing it will refuse to acknowledge my move commands. Sometimes if I click a bunch it will eventually work but in some cases it never wants to. This happens in combat and out of combat. I've had one other time where I was trying to open a locked chest and it would show me it was locked and give me the description, but as soon as I activated the skill and tried to use it on the chest it would not highlight the door and start. It worked after leaving the game and starting up again.

It doesn't seem to make a difference if I alt-tab out of the game or not. Sometimes it works great for a long period of time and others it starts acting up right away.

I'm using the Steam version and I'm on Windows 7 64 bit.

I was going to try turning on the software cursor option but I haven't had a chance yet.
Any chance this is related to right-click speed? Sounds weird but my father actually had this issue when he was playing at first - he was right-clicking too slowly and the game thought he was holding the mouse button down instead of clicking to move.
erloas
Initiate

Post by erloas »

sea wrote:Any chance this is related to right-click speed? Sounds weird but my father actually had this issue when he was playing at first - he was right-clicking too slowly and the game thought he was holding the mouse button down instead of clicking to move.
I suppose it is possible... though I've never had that issue in any other game or program. Is there a click speed setting in the options? (at work now)

I switched on the option for software cursor and did a steam file verification. The file verification found one small file (1.2kb) and that was it, it doesn't seem like that could be the sort of process file that could affect this sort of thing.

Playing after doing that it didn't seem to do it nearly as much, and when it did alternating between left and right click a couple times on the square seemed to work every time. Which isn't great but is livable.
Mogeley
Initiate

Post by Mogeley »

I've had this bug as well since the latest steam patch.

However it's not limited to ALT-Tab. The bug also occurs when focus is taken away from the game for any reason:
1) Run the game, click on the desktop and change the focus, then click on game tab.
2) Another program requests takes the focus by force like the Apple Updater.

The problem is resolved by having steam scan for corrupt files. One corrupt file is always found.
Cybernetic Barry
Initiate

sea wrote:Do you guys have 32-bit Vista or 64-bit? Just want to see if there is any consistency there (I doubt it would make a difference).
64-bit here. This thread did give me the idea to get steam to verify the game cache or whatever it's called, had to download 1.2Kb to repair. Haven't played again yet to see if this has fixed the issue.
Vince
Initiate

Post by Vince »

Same problem. Occured the very first time the game ran, hardly a promising start.

Vista 64, 1920 x 1080. Only other thing running was Steam.

Problem resolved by revalidating Steam files, fixed a 2.5 kb one and good to go.
Vhirl
Initiate

Post by Vhirl »

I think i got the same problem you guys have, but mine isn't related only to Alt-Tab, but it occurs directly after i start the game. The mouse works only in the upper left corner of the game, that's where i can see the Wasteland 2 cursor but beside this place there is only the windows cursor. The other is that I'm running the game on Windows 7 so it's really strange since i read only about this issue on Vista. I verified steam cache, but it didn't help. So maybe someone else had the same issue and found a solution on this one?

Return to “Wasteland 2: Technical Help”