Won't start on Linux (Steam version)

If you need assistance with a technical issue, this forum is for you. Specifically for help with Wasteland 2 itself. Spoilers are allowed, but spoiler warning tags are recommended.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

cryogenic_lava
Initiate

Won't start on Linux (Steam version)

Post by cryogenic_lava » October 24th, 2014, 3:35 pm

I am trying to play the game on Linux using Steam and I can't seem to get it to start. When I click on "Play" a window opens with nothing in it, just black, lingers for a few seconds then closes. That's all I get. If I run Steam from the commandline to see its output, here is what I see:

Running Steam on solydxk 1 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME has been set by the user to: /home/user/.steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime
Found path: /blobs/SteamLibrary/SteamApps/common/Wasteland 2/Linux/WL2
Mono path[0] = '/blobs/SteamLibrary/SteamApps/common/Wasteland 2/Linux/WL2_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '/blobs/SteamLibrary/SteamApps/common/Wasteland 2/Linux/WL2_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '/blobs/SteamLibrary/SteamApps/common/Wasteland 2/Linux/WL2_Data/Mono/etc'

I notice in the error.log file there are many entries like this:
Attempting to use a Windows only path root on non-Windows platform for game 240760

Is any of that helpful in troubleshooting this issue? Otherwise, what else should I look into to get this working?

PS. I am using a debian based distro and I have verified that I have all of the dependencies that were listed in this forum.

vv221
Adventurer

Re: Won't start on Linux (Steam version)

Post by vv221 » October 24th, 2014, 6:46 pm

Have you tried launching it without Steam to see if it gets more verbose?
It would go someway like this:

Code: Select all

cd /blobs/SteamLibrary/SteamApps/common/Wasteland\ 2/Linux/
./WL2
(no Steam version here to confirm my commands)

tonurics
Explorer

Post by tonurics » October 24th, 2014, 8:29 pm

Here be dragons!!!

This is a shot in the dark, that may or may not work. But if you have all the dependencies, are on a non-Ubuntu Debian distro and stuff still isn't working it could be a dependency conflict.

You may have noticed the ".steam/ubuntu12_32" in your path. That's because Steam ships it's own versions of some libraries in an attempt to recreate a Ubuntu 12.04 environment. Often those Steam libraries will conflict with the newer versions already included in your distribution.

The following libraries are known to cause problems for some people:

~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6
~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1
~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1
~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6
~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libxcb.so.1
Simply deleting them will force Steam to use your system's version (I suggest trying it one file at a time). Hopefully that will get you up and running.

Just take note: when Steam self updates it will download new copies of these libraries (so you'll need to delete them again).

Here's some more info:
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam- ... /issues/13
This account is dormant. I won't be responding to threads, quotes or private massages.

cryogenic_lava
Initiate

Post by cryogenic_lava » October 25th, 2014, 9:38 am

Thanks, but neither of those suggestions worked or yielded any more information. The results are exactly the same. Running it directly does not provide any more information, and removing those libraries ends with the same result.

vv221
Adventurer

Post by vv221 » October 25th, 2014, 5:10 pm

Okay, I think we need to see your error.log file to investigate further.
Post it contents there and give us a link to the resulting page:
http://pastebin.com/

styan
Initiate

Post by styan » October 28th, 2014, 2:46 pm

I have exactly the same issue!!!

I use debian linux "testing"

styan@asus-win:~/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/Wasteland 2/Linux$ ./WL2 --help
Set current directory to /home/styan/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/Wasteland 2/Linux
Found path: /home/styan/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/Wasteland 2/Linux/WL2
Mono path[0] = '/home/styan/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/Wasteland 2/Linux/WL2_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '/home/styan/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/Wasteland 2/Linux/WL2_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '/home/styan/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/Wasteland 2/Linux/WL2_Data/Mono/etc'
That is really interesting I haven't got any issues with the cracked version of the game.

It is shame that I cannot start the original version of wasteland 2

Please help me!

vv221
Adventurer

Post by vv221 » October 28th, 2014, 3:38 pm

styan wrote:I have exactly the same issue!!!
Same issue, same info required to help you.
Please post the contents of your error.log file on the website I've linked earlier and give us the link generated, that we can have a look at it.

styan
Initiate

Post by styan » October 29th, 2014, 9:50 am

Hi!

Thank you for your reply.

Maybe a bit lame question but I cannot find any error.log

Which log file should I have to send you, and where can I find it?

/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5370
This post didn't mention any error.log file.

I enclose player.log file and prefs file.

http://pastebin.com/XCTkf87v
http://pastebin.com/BuuQsf9P

Thank you in advance!

vv221
Adventurer

Post by vv221 » October 29th, 2014, 1:42 pm

The error we’re looking for is in the player.log file (I think I was wrong when asking for an error.log file).
Here it is:

ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/styan/.steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
Stacktrace:

Native stacktrace:

/home/styan/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/Wasteland 2/Linux/WL2_Data/Mono/x86/libmono.so(+0x8b58c) [0xf5a2d58c]
        /home/styan/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/Wasteland 2/Linux/WL2_Data/Mono/x86/libmono.so(+0xbd6bd) [0xf5a5f6bd]
        linux-gate.so.1(__kernel_rt_sigreturn+0) [0xf7738d50]
        /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__vsprintf_chk+0xb4) [0xf73302c4]

Debug info from gdb:

=================================================================
Got a SIGSEGV while executing native code. This usually indicates
a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries
used by your application.
=================================================================
What is the distribution you’re using?

styan
Initiate

Post by styan » October 30th, 2014, 1:52 am

I use debian jessie (testing)

Yesterday I checked the log file what I enclosed. I pointed out there was somthing wrong with the ilnstalled mono packages.

I reinstalled all of the mono libraries - and it solved my problem.

Thank you for your help & time!

Regards.

cryogenic_lava
Initiate

Post by cryogenic_lava » November 3rd, 2014, 10:45 am

My Player.log also shows mono errors. My distribution is also based on Debian jessie. Styan seems to have resolved this issue by installing all of the mono libraries. But there seem to be over 100 packages that begin with 'libmono' and some several dozen that begin with 'mono'. I installed what seemed the most likely necessary files (libmono-2.0-1, mono-runtime and its dependencies and recommended packages (listed below the pastebin), but this didn't solve it either. If mono is the problem, which mono libraries are required?

http://pastebin.com/nqhixD7f

(libmono-corlib4.5-cil{a} libmono-i18n-west4.0-cil{a} libmono-i18n4.0-cil{a} libmono-security4.0-cil{a} libmono-system-configuration4.0-cil{a} libmono-system-security4.0-cil{a} libmono-system-xml4.0-cil{a} libmono-system4.0-cil{a} mono-4.0-gac{a} mono-gac{a} mono-runtime mono-runtime-common{a} mono-runtime-sgen{a})

*My distribution is 64 bit and based on Debian jessie (currently 'testing', but about to become 'stable'). The actual distribution is SolydK.

vv221
Adventurer

Post by vv221 » November 3rd, 2014, 11:18 am

Wasteland 2 works flawlessly here on a Wheezy and a Sid without any mono library installed.

I see you run WL2 through Steam, does the error occurs if you launch it directly form the WL2 binary?
I think you can find it at /blobs/SteamLibrary/SteamApps/common/Wasteland 2/Linux/WL2

tonurics
Explorer

Post by tonurics » November 3rd, 2014, 1:31 pm

As far as I'm aware: all of the Mono dependencies are packaged with the game.

To reiterate vv221: I'm on Arch Linux and have no problems running the game without any mono packages.
This account is dormant. I won't be responding to threads, quotes or private massages.

cryogenic_lava
Initiate

Post by cryogenic_lava » November 5th, 2014, 11:41 am

Yes, the error occurs whether launched through steam or not. I'm still awaiting an answer that might help me run the game.

tonurics
Explorer

Post by tonurics » November 5th, 2014, 3:27 pm

ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/jango/.steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
Please confirm that you have installed the 32bit versions of your video drivers (besides whatever 64bit ones you already have).

i.e. in Debian x86_64: the 32bit version of libgl1-nvidia-glx is listed as libgl1-nvidia-glx-i386. (Your drivers may be different.)

Licaon_Kter
Novice

Post by Licaon_Kter » November 5th, 2014, 4:27 pm

tonurics wrote:

ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/jango/.steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
Manually installing the driver on 64bit Sid, choosing 32-bit too, yet I get the same ERROR from the steam-overlay, but the game works, the overlay works, so I don't think this matters since the game should work without Steam anyway. Also, yes it needs the 32-bit libs anyway as It's a 32-bit binary.

vv221
Adventurer

Post by vv221 » November 6th, 2014, 7:39 am

There might be come conflict between your distribution-provided Mono and the game-provided one. If you can remove every package related to Mono from your OS without breaking it, do it and try to launch the game again (without Steam, it should make the debugging easier).

Disregard my post if your first try was already without any Mono-related package installed.

yolotxt
Initiate

Post by yolotxt » November 8th, 2015, 12:01 pm

Hi guys !

I managed to run WL2 on xubuntu 15.10.

From viewtopic.php?t=13974#post_content158984:

It sounds like the bundled Steam runtime libraries are conflicting with newer libraries installed on your system. Steam's support target is Ubuntu; it will actually download libraries from Ubuntu 12.04 and try to emulate it while running games (understandably, that can cause all kinds of problems if your distro isn't Debian based).

It seems that is not the case if you installed steam from the ubuntu software center but I haven't tried it.

You will need to run steam on your native environment.

Some of the package are listed here http://askubuntu.com/a/399355/438785 but the following list is more complete

sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0:i386 libnss3:i386 libcurl3-gnutls:i386 libidn11:i386 libpango1.0-0:i386 libpangox-1.0-0:i386 libpangoxft-1.0-0:i386 libxft2:i386
libgconf2-4:i386 libxss1:i386 libnm-util2:i386 libnm-glib4:i386
libudev.so.0 is not available anymore in ubuntu 15.10. Here is a workaround from http://askubuntu.com/a/306268/438785 :

sudo ln -s /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libudev.so.1 /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libudev.so.0
From https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/St ... ve_runtime, check that you have all the required libs installed with

cd ~/.steam/ubuntu12_32/ && LD_LIBRARY_PATH=".:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}" ldd $(file *|sed '/ELF/!d;s/:.*//g')|grep 'not found'|sort|uniq
Run steam with :

STEAM_RUNTIME=0 steam
Hope it might be of help.