Skills and IQ

For all discussion of gameplay and game strategy, as well as help with technical problems.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

PerfectWaist
Scholar

Skills and IQ

Post by PerfectWaist » June 18th, 2014, 4:07 am

1) How many points should I spent to IQ when levelling up?
2) Do you need to have spare skill points in order to train basic skills through use?
3) How much should a casual player care about the special skills (besides combat skills)?
Another crowd funded post-apocalyptic RPG to check out: Underrail

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: Skills and IQ

Post by Drool » June 18th, 2014, 9:55 pm

PerfectWaist wrote:1) How many points should I spent to IQ when levelling up?
For the first several levels, you'll probably want to put everything into IQ as you'll need 24 or so points to unlock all the skills, and then those SP to get the higher level skills (especially Energy Weapons and Doctor, but you'll also want someone with Cyborg Tech and Electronics).
2) Do you need to have spare skill points in order to train basic skills through use?
No. Learn-by-doing doesn't require any SP. It does factor in the difficulty you're testing against (or the foe level for combat skills) and your Ranger's level, though. A level 3 Ranger can't raise a skill above 3 through use, for instance.
3) How much should a casual player care about the special skills (besides combat skills)?
Some of the other skills are very important. You'll want Medic on everyone. The person in the #1 slot should have Perception and probably could get some use from Silent Movement. You'll also want Picklock and Safecrack on someone. Climb and Swim are other skills that it's good for everyone to have. Giving everyone Acrobatics 1 might not be a terrible idea.

Other skills are a lot more situational. Personally, I like someone to have Cryptography (only one major use, but it's a pretty handy one), and I like to give the Ranger with Cybertech a level in Forgery, too (makes a puzzle easier to solve).

Beyond that, it's personal preference. Metallurgy has a single use, but it can be fun. Some people like Gambling. Clone Tech is neat and Toaster Repair is one of 3 ways to get a critical item for beating the game. Bomb Disarm has a couple uses, but it's not required.

For combat skills, the progression I usually follow is Clip Pistol -> SMG -> Assault Rifle -> Energy Weapon. I generally skip rifles completely because their usefulness window is pretty narrow. Giving everyone Brawling 1 wouldn't be amiss either, even if they're going to be using firearms.

So, with a brand new character, IQ 16, I would select a skill load-out like:

Brawling 1
Climb 1
Clip Pistol 1
Swim 1
Acrobat 1
Medic 1

And I'd still have 9 points to put into other skills or to improve some of those six I've already picked (Clip Pistol and Medic being the likely choices).
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

LVX156
Initiate

Re: Skills and IQ

Post by LVX156 » October 4th, 2014, 7:55 am

Drool wrote:
PerfectWaist wrote:For combat skills, the progression I usually follow is Clip Pistol -> SMG -> Assault Rifle -> Energy Weapon. I generally skip rifles completely because their usefulness window is pretty narrow. Giving everyone Brawling 1 wouldn't be amiss either, even if they're going to be using firearms.
I skip SMG, because it's so easy to get M1989A1's at the cost of a few TNT's.

I'm talking about the waste dump in Needles. It's not too hard to get to, and you'll only have to fight those big worm things, but if you pick up Christina first, she does good damage. Equip all of the other characters with TNT, it's great against the worms. The Pit Ghoul is hard, but with Christina's SMG on full auto and the other characters throwing TNT, he should be an easy kill. In the lower room there are two Rad Suits and a few M1989A1's.

You can also interrupt a gang meeting in Needles after you pick these ones up, the gang leader has an AK97.