Close combat

For all discussion of gameplay and game strategy, as well as help with technical problems.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

PerfectWaist
Scholar

Close combat

Post by PerfectWaist » June 18th, 2014, 4:04 am

1) Does Pugilism affect armed close combat?
2) Is there a difference using inpromptu weapons (shovel, crowbar, pickaxe) compared to using real weapons (club, ax, sledgehammer (maybe?))?
3) Is there an easy way to train Brawling? What level you have to be and who you have to fight with? Does training with Goliath require tons of spears? (Haven't tried it yet.)
Another crowd funded post-apocalyptic RPG to check out: Underrail

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: Close combat

Post by Drool » June 18th, 2014, 10:03 pm

PerfectWaist wrote:1) Does Pugilism affect armed close combat?
No. Pugilism only affects unarmed combat.
2) Is there a difference using inpromptu weapons (shovel, crowbar, pickaxe) compared to using real weapons (club, ax, sledgehammer (maybe?))?
Improvised weapons deal less damage than melee weapons. However, I think shovel, crowbar, and pickaxe count as weapons. Non-weapons that can be used as weapons are... pretty much everything else. Hand Mirrors, Books, Maps, empty firearms, clips, engines, jewelry...
3) Is there an easy way to train Brawling? What level you have to be and who you have to fight with? Does training with Goliath require tons of spears? (Haven't tried it yet.)
Easiest way to train Brawling is to use improvised weapons (Books are a favorite) and slowly beat things to death. Spears are not what you want (I believe they actually use the AT Weapon skill; go figure). While you certainly can train against Brother Goliath that way, you're also likely to get yourself horribly murdered unless you already have the Pseudo-Chitin Armor. You could probably get a few levels off of randomly spawning Jerks in Needles.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

ad1066
Scholar

Re: Close combat

Post by ad1066 » June 23rd, 2014, 11:13 am

I believe that the best melee weapons you can buy are the chainsaws, most easily found in Darwin's black market.

Now, found weapons, that's a different story...

-- Ben
-----[Ben Morgan]-----
ad1066 AT gmail you know the rest
Ben's Wasteland Walkthrough