Can't assemble Max [Solved]

For all discussion of gameplay and game strategy, as well as help with technical problems.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

mph
Initiate

Can't assemble Max [Solved]

Post by mph » December 30th, 2013, 6:41 pm

I'm playing the Steam version of the game, and I'm unable to assemble Max in Las Vegas. I have all the parts, but using them on the tables does nothing (both standing to the left and standing on the tables). I've tried picking all 3 options for each of the tables but those also do nothing: no message, no anything. Another person recently had an identical problem ( http://wasteland.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:5105 ) and got no reply...

Can someone post a step-by-step instuction on how to do this? Or perhaps this is a bug caused by the recent patch? If so, is there any hope to save my saved game from getting corrupted by this?

driderr
Initiate

Re: Can't assemble Max

Post by driderr » December 30th, 2013, 9:53 pm

I had the exact same problem as you and the others you linked to. I tried everything I could think of and got it to work, so I registered on the forum to tell you =).
I found that if I exited the menu on any table by walking or non-menu keys, the tables wouldn't work. The answer is to select #2 on each table for each item before I was able to use the parts correctly (<walk on table>, '2', I would <walk left> but you might not have to, <use part> to the <right>)
Hope that helps!

mph
Initiate

Post by mph » December 31st, 2013, 3:09 am

driderr wrote:I had the exact same problem as you and the others you linked to. I tried everything I could think of and got it to work, so I registered on the forum to tell you =).
I found that if I exited the menu on any table by walking or non-menu keys, the tables wouldn't work. The answer is to select #2 on each table for each item before I was able to use the parts correctly (<walk on table>, '2', I would <walk left> but you might not have to, <use part> to the <right>)
Hope that helps!
This doesn't seem to be working, only results in a "nothing happens" message and part staying in my inventory. I think I made my save before touching any of the tables, but I'm not 100% sure. If I did touch a table, however, without selecting an option, does this mean they're all permanently broken? Or is there a way to reset them?

Either way, it seems to be bugged. All walkthroughs I could find describe no such problems, and they indicate that there should be some hint messages and such.

EDIT: I found a Let's Play that does this bit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1W_-0-JXT4 at around 34 minutes), and it indeed doesn't work as shown in the video.

jpayne1138
Acolyte

Post by jpayne1138 » December 31st, 2013, 7:14 am

If I remember correctly, the parts have to be used in a certain order. I believe that the fusion cell was the first. And you start on the top right table. Press 1 to run diagnostic, and that should give you some clue as to what part needs to be used next.

mph
Initiate

Re: Can't assemble Max [Solved]

Post by mph » December 31st, 2013, 9:05 am

Ok, after unpacking the game's code, converting it into XML (so it's readable), and looking into code of the related map, I found what was wrong. The 3-option menu on the tables works ONLY if I use the keyboard numbers from the uppermost key row (the ones with ! @ # etc. as shift-text). Using NumPad or clicking options with mouse doesn't work at all. -_-

Anyhow, this thread can be closed now :)