Patch 2 is out

For all discussion of gameplay and game strategy, as well as help with technical problems.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Brother None
Developer

Patch 2 is out

Post by Brother None » November 28th, 2013, 5:35 pm

We just released a new patch that reworks the paragraphs in a major way, which circumvents a lot of the problems the old display was causing.

- Changed the paragraph display/overlay and fixed missing paragraphs
- Reduced freezing issue further
- Cloning bug fixed

Live on Steam and will be live on GOG.com soon.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

ClashFan
Explorer

Re: Patch 2 is out

Post by ClashFan » November 29th, 2013, 8:23 am

I just tried to do the clone, but still was stuck on the level (getting just a cursor with no text when entering the ladder square). Perhaps the clone fix requires a new game started?

No matter, I'm all done but Base Cochise and will finish the game today or tomorrow. First time in over 20 years that I've played the game!

BTW, I'm also assuming that Steam automatically patched the game when I ran it a few minutes ago?

wrkq
Acolyte

Post by wrkq » November 29th, 2013, 11:56 am

Yes, it requires starting of a new game.
Steam patched the executables, and the "master copy" of GAME1 and GAME2 that's stored with the Dosbox files, but your saved games in your user folder are not affected - and as you sure remember, "saved games" are copies of these master world files.
The mouse freeze issue might work without starting a new game, but not sure.
Are you sure Desert Rangers haven't been to Mars?

edmondo
Acolyte

Post by edmondo » November 29th, 2013, 12:56 pm

Thanks for the new patch.

I played a bit the Linux version on Steam and it's fine. New paragraph display works great.

Alm
Acolyte

Post by Alm » November 29th, 2013, 8:02 pm

Brother None, it looks like you are not interested in DRM-free version for Linux at all. :-(

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » November 29th, 2013, 9:52 pm

Wasteland is DRM-free. Yes, even the Steam version.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » November 29th, 2013, 10:18 pm

Drool wrote:Wasteland is DRM-free. Yes, even the Steam version.
I would think he means being able to download a DRM-free installer, just copying the folder out of steam apps and making your own shortcut is a bit of a rough/unofficial method.

Humble Bundle would be a good idea on that front, as GOG probably won't be adopting Linux until they've finished with Mac compatibility.

EDIT: Also many people don't use Steam and therefore wouldn't want to have to make an account and install the client on their machine. As opposed to 'browser-ish' DRM-free like GOG/HB which doesn't require any software to be installed on your machine.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Alm
Acolyte

Post by Alm » November 29th, 2013, 10:37 pm

Drool wrote:Wasteland is DRM-free. Yes, even the Steam version.
My good sir, I have one question for you: If Steam is DRM-free than why inXile even bothered with all that GOG stuff?

Please, Drool, go and tell all Windows and Mac users that Steam is DRM-free and inXile will release W2 only on Steam because everyone should be happy with Steam.

I'm expecting you will hear lots of "pleasant" words in your address...

So, please, stop pretending there is no problem and start asking yourself questions like "Why Linux users are the only guys forced to use Steam when others have the ability to download directly?"

While W1 is not a big deal (more like a present) I'm personally highly concerned about W2 release. I (and a lot of others, I bet) backed NOT for another Steam-only release!

EDIT: P.S. When I last tried to install Steam client I couldn't even download it because it doesn't use continuous downloading so it is NOT POSSIBLE to even download Steam client using GPRS connection let alone endure all it's (reported) multi-megabyte updates on a 64 kbit/s connection speed. So Steam is a big NO for me.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » November 29th, 2013, 10:51 pm

Having to install/log-in/run Steam every time you want to install a game is digital rights management, even if the game itself has no DRM.

If someone doesn't want Steam installed on their computer full-stop, and they don't want to create a Steam account (because of Steam's DRM policies or just because they don't like it) then are pretty much screwed. And even if someone makes a one-time Steam account and installs the client just to install a DRM-free game, copy the folder, and then uninstall Steam, they still would need to reinstall the Steam client if they ever lost that copied folder and wanted to reinstall the game. As I said it's also an "unofficial" method of DRM-free really.

And as the above poster correctly points out, InXile and pretty much every other indie company around still consider a Steam game to be DRM'd even if it has no third-party DRM (or Valve's CEG), because of the aforementioned reasons. So the constant rantings of Steam fanboys like Drool that the Steam client itself isn't a form of DRM is just wrong, and pretty much everyone of relevance considers Steam client itself to be digital rights management.

EDIT: Also don't bring up Desura, because Desura's client is optional and you can still download any DRM-free games you own via a browser on their website (like GOG/HB).

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » November 29th, 2013, 11:53 pm

Alm wrote:My good sir, I have one question for you: If Steam is DRM-free than why inXile even bothered with all that GOG stuff?
Because people assume the Steam release has DRM even when it doesn't?
Because Wasteland most certainly is a "great old game"?
Because inXile wants to give people options?
Please, Drool, go and tell all Windows and Mac users that Steam is DRM-free and inXile will release W2 only on Steam because everyone should be happy with Steam.
I said nothing about Wasteland 2. I was talking about the Wasteland release, which is DRM-free. You can tell because it can be run directly from the executable without booting up Steam. In fact, most of my Wasteland play-time has been without Steam.
So, please, stop pretending there is no problem and start asking yourself questions like "Why Linux users are the only guys forced to use Steam when others have the ability to download directly?"
Probably because Wasteland has only been released via two distributors and one of those doesn't do Linux releases. Perhaps you should be asking yourself, "Why doesn't GOG support Linux?"
While W1 is not a big deal (more like a present) I'm personally highly concerned about W2 release. I (and a lot of others, I bet) backed NOT for another Steam-only release!
WL2 already has numerous distribution options other than Steam.
Crosmando wrote:So the constant rantings of Steam fanboys like Drool
Yes, because I don't think Steam is the spawn of Satan, I'm a fanboy. :roll:
Alwa nasci korliri das.

MrBadGuy
Initiate

Post by MrBadGuy » November 30th, 2013, 2:15 am

Thanks a lot for this update.

Great new improvement of paragraph reading function, and annoying freezing mouse issue was solved at last. Am i right, that cloning bug is still present in my old game, and i must to start another one to avoid this problem :?:

P.S. few thoughts about Steam version and DRM... I'm not a huge fan of this distribution platform, however i have an account, registred 3 years ago just for fun. But few days ago i decided to buy my first game via Steam (yeah, it's Wasteland :) ), and i don't worried about any possible problems (slow internet connection, updates, etc.). I know that any time i can "unofficialy" make a copy of game folder, rar-archive with game files, or even make a simple installer. And i can use it on any PC, at any time, and without any internet connection and installing of Steam. So, there is no problem...

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » November 30th, 2013, 8:23 am

Cloning bug fix should be new games only yes.
Alm wrote:Brother None, it looks like you are not interested in DRM-free version for Linux at all. :-(
We're working on it, it can just take a while to set up distributors.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Alm
Acolyte

Post by Alm » November 30th, 2013, 8:59 am

Brother None wrote:We're working on it, it can just take a while to set up distributors.
Glad to hear that! It is better to set up distribution channels now than hectically trying to do it during the grand première of W2.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » November 30th, 2013, 9:03 am

InXile should have a word sometime with EA and ask about distributing Fountain of Dreams too. I know the general opinion of that game amongst Wasteland fans is negative, and that it's not an official WL sequel, but I've been playing it lately and it's really quite good, despite having a more restrictive character system with classes, it plays almost exactly like WL, and has all the crazy factions and stuff you expect.

dlux
Novice

Post by dlux » December 2nd, 2013, 11:10 am

ClashFan wrote:I just tried to do the clone, but still was stuck on the level (getting just a cursor with no text when entering the ladder square). Perhaps the clone fix requires a new game started?
Same here. I thought it was fixed for old games too, and ran right into the bug. :roll:

I had a backup though, so no big deal. Although a better patch description would have saved me 30 minutes of gameplay.
MrBadGuy wrote:Am i right, that cloning bug is still present in my old game, and i must to start another one to avoid this problem :?:
You can fix an old savegame by extracting it with Wasteland Suite and replacing the bug prone map with the fixed map file from Inxile (level 2 of the sleeper base -> map03.xml). You won't run into the bug if you try to clone.

This only works if you haven't run into the bug yet though. I couldn't get a savegame to extract after I ran into the bug.

macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting » December 2nd, 2013, 10:53 pm

What version number is this? I'm trying to determine if the Universal Update on GOG is the patch in question.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » December 2nd, 2013, 11:07 pm

macksting wrote:What version number is this? I'm trying to determine if the Universal Update on GOG is the patch in question.
No that's the first patch, you get noticed by a red "1" (or whatever number) at the top of the GOG website bar whenever there's a new patch for a game you have. Hopefully they upload it soon though.

macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting » December 3rd, 2013, 9:35 am

Noted, thank you. I await this patch patiently; I know y'all are busy folk, and any support for 25-year-old software is miraculous anyway.

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » December 3rd, 2013, 5:49 pm

I believe it is live on GOG.com now too.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting » December 3rd, 2013, 6:08 pm

HA! What timing! Thanks for the heads up.