Steam version: game-breaking bug from cloning characters

For all discussion of gameplay and game strategy, as well as help with technical problems.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

gnv9212
Initiate

Re: Steam version: game-breaking bug from cloning characters

Post by gnv9212 » November 29th, 2013, 10:59 pm

I ran into this problem as well. I cant use the ladder and when i go into the library it takes me another building but when i exit, it just goes back to Sleeper base. And it saved my game since it thinks i went to a new location so my game is ruined. I dont think i have the energy to start over again.

WhereisBaoDur
Novice

Post by WhereisBaoDur » November 30th, 2013, 2:21 am

The game is beatable without cloning.

Esquilax
Initiate

Post by Esquilax » December 27th, 2013, 9:31 am

I found the same bug on the OS X GOG version. The ladder gives a command line prompt. Entering anything simply teleports my party two spaces north. Not entering anything makes the ladder do nothing (including no prompt) from then on. A couple of the nearby walls become doors, but are not openable. The clone pod terminals become shelves of jugs. Entering a library produces gibberish, while entering a hospital either freezes the game, or results in some gibberish combat encounter that kills my party in one round.

I tried using wlreset but it does not work. Once the menu appears, it freezes. All I can do is Command-Q to quit Wasteland. I'd send you files, but I have no idea what they are called - tried searching through the app package contents, but nothing jumped out at me, name-wise, as being the right file(s) to send.

serlev
Initiate

Post by serlev » January 1st, 2014, 11:18 am

Any word on this?

EDIT: Although, I seem to have broken my game in a slightly different way.

Only the leftmost clone pod would accept a character. The middle two would allow one (or more) party members on the conveyer belt square, then the game freezes. Rightmost pod causes gibberish text to appear and doesn't look like it clones successfully.

I can indeed walk through the vault door, but then the game freezes. I have no trouble whatsoever going up and down levels in Sleeper or leaving and entering the base.

Managed to clone one character. Leftmost clone pod is still occupied even after I released the clone, so that one's now useless, too. Walking on the clone pod control panel squares brings up either:

a) for the middle two pods ... descriptions of shelves with jugs (identical to the one from the ammo loot room N-NE of the clone pod room)

OR

b) for the rightmost pod ... A popup box with a description of a generic SecPass security door plus an input prompt. Typing anything into that prompt makes the real fun occur. After that point, walking over any control panel square will cycle through what looks like all possible response outputs from ever using a clone control panel ... has the message that says you need to use the clone tech skill, the message that says you need a jug, says "clone released" or "insufficient incubation time", etc.

mph
Initiate

Post by mph » January 1st, 2014, 2:59 pm

When I was looking around for solutions for my Max bug (which turned out to be just an input bug, luckily), I came across this set of Wasteland 1 tools: http://kayahr.github.io/wlandsuite/

It can be used to perform a partial game reset, i.e. resetting just a single map without losing anything else. To do so you'll need to do the following:

1) Backup your saves
2) Instal the suite
3) Use the suite to unpack game1, game2, master1, and master2, each to its own folder
4) Go through the folders and figure out which map you're on (having something that can parse XML will help a lot, text lines are at the bottom of each file)
5) Copy this map from one of the master folders into its game counterpart
6) Pack the game folders back
7) Do the old switcheroo
8) Load game. If you did everything right (I've tested this method) your party should be back standing where you left it, but all the enemies will be back to life, all doors re-locked, etc.
9) You can also edit your save to move stuck characters to new positions, but this will require some understanding of XML

serlev
Initiate

Post by serlev » January 5th, 2014, 1:04 pm

The GOG boards list it as a known issue and it looks like they're saying it might be a legacy issue. Which legacy exactly? Been through the C64 and PC versions multiple times. I can't remember Sleeper, its clone pods, or anything else in the base ever failing.

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » January 8th, 2014, 5:56 am

This bug was actually caused by our changes, but the latest version (with a fresh game) should not have this bug anymore.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

jpayne1138
Acolyte

Post by jpayne1138 » January 11th, 2014, 6:02 am

So to avoid this bug, just don't clone anybody?

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » January 11th, 2014, 6:04 am

jpayne1138 wrote:So to avoid this bug, just don't clone anybody?
It was fixed in the last patch.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

jpayne1138
Acolyte

Post by jpayne1138 » January 11th, 2014, 7:33 am

Crosmando wrote: It was fixed in the last patch.
But doesn't that require me to start over? Because after spending like 50 hours playing this game, there is no way I'm going back to the beginning.

wrkq
Acolyte

Post by wrkq » January 11th, 2014, 7:46 am

It does require a new game, to get new copy of the map/savestate.
If you're feeling adventurous, you can unpack your current savegame and a started-new-after-patch savegame using Wasteland Suite, copy over the map data referring to the Sleeper Base to your save, and pack it back.
As long as you're keeping backups and are patient, you have nothing to risk other than some time spent on it.
There's a nice example how to do this kind of changes in the stores' bug thread:
http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.c ... 525#p81525
Are you sure Desert Rangers haven't been to Mars?

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » January 11th, 2014, 9:15 pm

jpayne1138 wrote:But doesn't that require me to start over? Because after spending like 50 hours playing this game, there is no way I'm going back to the beginning.
Can't blame you. I would just avoid the clone pods then. Honestly, that's not too terrible. They're certainly neat, but hardly necessary. You can easily find three NPCs who will be able to fill out your party as well or better than clones.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » January 12th, 2014, 2:57 pm

Drool wrote:
jpayne1138 wrote:But doesn't that require me to start over? Because after spending like 50 hours playing this game, there is no way I'm going back to the beginning.
Can't blame you. I would just avoid the clone pods then. Honestly, that's not too terrible. They're certainly neat, but hardly necessary. You can easily find three NPCs who will be able to fill out your party as well or better than clones.
I don't think I ever used the clone pods. Ever. Of course memory is hazy after 20 odd years :roll: :lol:
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

serlev
Initiate

Post by serlev » January 20th, 2014, 5:52 pm

1) How do I know if I downloaded the patch? What version should I have and how do I check?
2) 75% more energy weapons blazing was always useful.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » January 20th, 2014, 9:32 pm

I would just fire up Steam and see if it wants to download an update for Wasteland. If there's nothing to download, you should have the most recent patch.

And while 3 more Rangers potentially means 3 more energy weapons, you can easily use NPCs for that. Mad Dog Fargo and Metal Maniac (in Darwin) are both pretty powerful NPCs. Likewise, in Cochise, you can get Vax who will likely be better than any of your Rangers.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

serlev
Initiate

Post by serlev » January 25th, 2014, 7:32 pm

Vax has awesome stats and skills but I like being able to pick the thing I'm attacking. Always bugged me the NPCs wouldn't let you select the target.

serlev
Initiate

Post by serlev » January 26th, 2014, 12:06 am

Worked. Woohoo.