Steam version: game-breaking bug from cloning characters

For all discussion of gameplay and game strategy, as well as help with technical problems.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

mayaterror
Initiate

Steam version: game-breaking bug from cloning characters

Post by mayaterror » November 12th, 2013, 8:53 pm

I posted this in the Wasteland Facebook group but wanted to repost here:

Game-breaking bug encountered, seems to have to do with the cloning pods in Darwin Station. I was able to put one party member into a pod. But when I would put more than one in, the game would either lock up or the clone candidate would get stuck inside the pod. Some gibberish text would appear in the description window at the bottom. I was willing to accept cloning one character at a time instead of 3 at once, but when I tried to leave the 2nd floor of the facility, instead of going to the 1st floor, I got a text parser window when I stepped on the ladder. I seem to be permanently stuck on this floor and will have to start my game over. The reset utility doesn't seem to be functional for me, either. So just to warn everyone - clone at your own risk!

I have not yet confirmed that this is a bug that can be reproduced. But having played through the game dozens of times on both the Apple II and the original PC versions, I can say that I never encountered any kind of game-breaking bug in those versions.

Revolucas
Explorer

Re: Steam version: game-breaking bug from cloning characters

Post by Revolucas » November 12th, 2013, 10:38 pm

Which OS for the Steam version? When did you create that game? If you still have the save game in your appdata folder (ie. Windows-> C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\inXile entertainment), pack it up and send it to support.
Last edited by Revolucas on November 12th, 2013, 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » November 12th, 2013, 10:39 pm

Looks like Steam version.

I tried duplicating this bug and wasn't able to.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

mayaterror
Initiate

Post by mayaterror » November 13th, 2013, 4:25 am

It was the Steam version, OS is Windows 7 64-bit. I wish I could send you the save, but I tried using the Reset Utility to reset the maps and keep my party and inventory. I just ended up screwing up the save data, it now says "disk error" if I try to load the game. So I'll have to start over. I'll definitely save before the Sleeper Base and if I run into this again I'll send the save file on. Saw the other thread about the Sleeper Base after I posted this, sorry to make a new one.

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » November 13th, 2013, 4:43 am

We definitely recommend backing up saves before using WL1Reset.

We've looked into this best we can but I don't think we can resolve it without being able to reproduce it, so we really do need a zipped up save folder. Anyone who can get it to me, I'd be most grateful. It is curious if it's Steam-only, since they're the same version of the game, other than being uploaded/provided in different manners.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » November 13th, 2013, 8:05 am

I'd be surprised, too. Honestly, the only thing you can say is different from GOG vs. Steam is whenever a patch rolls out and one is slower than the other. Besides that, I think only two actual wrapper binaries exist: PC and Mac.

Maybe release differences can go to the FAQ.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » November 13th, 2013, 9:02 am

Brother None wrote:We definitely recommend backing up saves before using WL1Reset.

We've looked into this best we can but I don't think we can resolve it without being able to reproduce it, so we really do need a zipped up save folder. Anyone who can get it to me, I'd be most grateful. It is curious if it's Steam-only, since they're the same version of the game, other than being uploaded/provided in different manners.
Why is the reset tool the fan-made utility instead of the original [official one]?

** And if the official one is for some reason not available... Why did they not craft their own ~new~ official one?
The fan-utility ~is just that, and he even mentions that he did not know how to call [DOS] commands and so hacked his own functions ~admittedly inefficient ones.

*** Hey.. I can accept, 'because it's a free gift!'; originally sure... but it's also a retail product now.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » November 13th, 2013, 1:28 pm

Gizmo wrote:
Brother None wrote:We definitely recommend backing up saves before using WL1Reset.

Why is the reset tool the fan-made utility instead of the original [official one]?

** And if the official one is for some reason not available... Why did they not craft their own ~new~ official one?
The fan-utility ~is just that, and he even mentions that he did not know how to call [DOS] commands and so hacked his own functions ~admittedly inefficient ones.

*** Hey.. I can accept, 'because it's a free gift!'; originally sure... but it's also a retail product now.
I thought the original was a fanmade thing? That they then added at later releases.

Is the Reset utility able to be modified to create a backup of saves before reseting?
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

wrkq
Acolyte

Post by wrkq » November 13th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Woolfe wrote:I thought the original was a fanmade thing? That they then added at later releases.
Is the Reset utility able to be modified to create a backup of saves before reseting?
The very original that came on floppies had a setup program that could:
a) set up user-provided blank floppies with game files for playing
b) reset these user-floppies with fresh maps, but preserving player characters
c) (on PC only) install to disk, with graphics meant for one of two different video card standards (CGA/EGA)

That application is all but gone, unless someone still has a 5.25" drive, and the full, working floppy set for preferred platform.

For the 10th Anniversary CD they made a hard disk install in EGA (better) mode, and copied the "installed" files.
99% of the versions you'll find on the Internet are this.

Thus, they're lacking the setup and the masterfiles that were doing the reset.

There's the fan-made reset tool that everyone was using since. It's slow as the author wrote it to be simple, and thus used manual byte-by-byte copy instead of whatever a seasoned DOS programmer would recommend to make disk operations faster.
Are you sure Desert Rangers haven't been to Mars?

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » November 13th, 2013, 4:49 pm

Ah fair enough, obviously where my confusion was. I never used the Reset program at all.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Revolucas
Explorer

Post by Revolucas » November 13th, 2013, 5:19 pm

It's probably really easy to make a new tool since most of the work in knowing how to decipher the game files was done in 2009. I know someone reported the reset tool corrupting their game but if you use Wasteland Suite you can achieve the same thing by copying everything in the <characters> tag from your current savegame.xml into a new savegame.xml from a freshly unpacked GAME1 and repacking it; avoiding corruption. It's probably faster to do it that way since the reset tool takes 10 minutes. So if you do run into problems with the Reset tool it's still possible to save your precious characters for a new run (If you remembered to backup your game.)

Sxerks
Global Moderator

Post by Sxerks » November 13th, 2013, 5:58 pm

wrkq wrote:That application is all but gone, unless someone still has a 5.25" drive, and the full, working floppy set for preferred platform.
I've got the original stuff, just tested it out. It does reset the maps and keeps your characters, BUT it deletes all of your inventory and spawns you in the bottom right corner of the world map. i just got attacked trying to make it to the Ranger Center and I have no weapons, not even the generic starting gear. The setup program requires the install directory on a HD to be "wastelan" and you must install from the root of a drive "a:" or "c:"

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » November 13th, 2013, 6:25 pm

wrkq wrote:That application is all but gone, unless someone still has a 5.25" drive, and the full, working floppy set for preferred platform.
I can't say what happened to the original Interplay in-house copy... but there are 5¼ floppy drives out there that still work ~I've got one. They even had combo floppy drives that took both 5¼ and 3½ floppies. And there are original Wasteland disks out there. Didn't a guy post on these forums that he founds a trove of old retail boxed games (Wasteland included) in a pawn shop?

What's done was done, but I'm sort of surprised that they were not able to acquire the original game on floppies to work with... Does that mean that the retail enhanced Wasteland was based on abandonware or a promotional magazine CD?
Sxerks wrote:It does reset the maps and keeps your characters, BUT it deletes all of your inventory and spawns you in the bottom right corner of the world map.
The author of the fan-reset utility did mention that his doesn't rewrite the characters. 8-)

SneeringImperialist
Initiate

Post by SneeringImperialist » November 16th, 2013, 9:02 pm

I got exactly this same bug. Of course one save state, so my game is ruined.

Put one guy in the cloner... then all the the clone terminals started prompting as if they were a shelf full of empty bottles... and the ladder out of the level says it's a closed door. Going into the library or doctor causes weird ascii symbols to come up then freezes. :( Was so close to the end..

Revolucas
Explorer

Post by Revolucas » November 17th, 2013, 12:44 am

Do you have your save? Can you post it?

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » November 17th, 2013, 12:52 am

Man I hope Clone Tech is in WL2, such a cool idea in the original game
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » November 17th, 2013, 5:58 am

We do have one submitted save with this issue and are looking into it. Still, more can't help, so yes, if you do have saves, send em to support@inxile.net

We're looking into this to see if we can fix it.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

mayaterror
Initiate

Post by mayaterror » November 17th, 2013, 12:06 pm

I've started another playthrough and have encountered the same bug. I've zipped and sent the game data from two saves to inxile support - one just before using the clone pods and another with a player stuck in a clone pod. Hopes this help to resolve the issue.

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » November 17th, 2013, 3:49 pm

Thanks guys, got a handful of saves to work from now. We're looking into this one.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

smcclenaghan
Initiate

Post by smcclenaghan » November 21st, 2013, 11:02 pm

Brother None wrote:Thanks guys, got a handful of saves to work from now. We're looking into this one.
Hey, I just ran into this one too (I found this post on a search after I ran into it).

My game wasn't ruined though and I can provide a zip if needed.

So next question. Since it seems like using the clone will ruin the game, is the game beatable without clones? Thanks!
Like comics? Try ours:

http://www.remnants-comic.com