Store/shop disappear bug still present

For all discussion of gameplay and game strategy, as well as help with technical problems.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Grohal
Adventurer

Store/shop disappear bug still present

Post by Grohal » November 9th, 2013, 2:35 am

The "Shop's gone"-issue still seems to be in. Shop in Highpool no longer enterable. Ah, those memories. :mrgreen:
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

Revolucas
Explorer

Re: Known Issues FAQ & Help Thread

Post by Revolucas » November 9th, 2013, 3:11 am

Grohal wrote:The "Shop's gone"-issue still seems to be in. Shop in Highpool no longer enterable. Ah, those memories. :mrgreen:
It's because the shop saves to it's own state separately from the player. If you quit without saving in a shop you will get the bug. If you do it because you accidentally sold something and want it back it's best to close the game through task manager.

Grohal
Adventurer

Post by Grohal » November 9th, 2013, 3:45 am

Revolucas wrote:
Grohal wrote:The "Shop's gone"-issue still seems to be in. Shop in Highpool no longer enterable. Ah, those memories. :mrgreen:
It's because the shop saves to it's own state separately from the player. If you quit without saving in a shop you will get the bug. If you do it because you accidentally sold something and want it back it's best to close the game through task manager.
Yeah, I normally do - but this one time a fuse thought it was a good idea to kick the bucket right then. :mrgreen:
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

LordZon
Initiate

Shop keeper in highland bugged after *spoiler*

Post by LordZon » November 9th, 2013, 12:35 pm

After being forced to kill bobby, I returned to the shop keeper to sell the jewelry he dropped and when I walk into where he should be it just bumps into the wall past him.

I guess I have to start over, but running into bugs like this this early scares me to put more time in.

Can anyone help?

Montgomery Markland
Acolyte

Re: Shop keeper in highland bugged after *spoiler*

Post by Montgomery Markland » November 9th, 2013, 12:42 pm

I am pretty sure that this is the known disappearing shop bug from the original game that is also detailed in Per Jorner's Wasteland Walkthrough. If that is the case, it is something we cannot fix (but I believe there are steps you can take to make sure it does not happen to you).

LordZon
Initiate

Post by LordZon » November 9th, 2013, 1:03 pm

Is there anyway or tool to re-sync the saves?

Revolucas
Explorer

Post by Revolucas » November 9th, 2013, 1:08 pm

Sadly, you will have to start over. Luckily you aren't that far into the game. Manually saving after you interact with a shop will ensure this never happens.

From Per's guide:
Because of a PC-specific bug, you should always save (manually or by instantly leaving for another map) after exiting an important shop. If you die, quit without saving or otherwise shut down the game before this, the shop will disappear permanently after you load next time. Note that the game is only saved in the shop if you actually buy or sell something, and not before you leave. If you accidentally sell off a valuable item and can't stand having to buy it back, closing the game while still in the shop lets you avoid the bug. The weapon shop in Darwin never disappears since you don't end up on the shop square when leaving.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » November 9th, 2013, 11:16 pm

You could also exit to the main map and then use the reset tool if you don't want to spend time remaking characters.

Although remaking might be faster.

Or, just not worry about it. The Highpool shop isn't particularly important or useful.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

SniperHF
Adventurer

Post by SniperHF » November 10th, 2013, 3:07 am

Drool wrote: Or, just not worry about it. The Highpool shop isn't particularly important or useful.
That's what I'd do. The shops in the next couple places are more important though so mind the tips above to avoid it happening again.

AWAC
Scholar

Known Issues FAQ & Help Thread

Post by AWAC » November 11th, 2013, 11:55 am

Brother None wrote:Yeah, sorry Frank, we weren't too clear on it. I'll add it to that known issues list, and meanwhile we'll see if we can't still find a fix. These things can be surprisingly tricky working with cobbled together old code.
Cant get back into stores no enter message after I have been in them once. Can they close for the night?
:o
Change the weapon size

ad1066
Scholar

Post by ad1066 » November 11th, 2013, 12:10 pm

Ran into that bug several times over the years. First time was at Leroy's in Needles. Ouch. Very nearly had to start over completely, but I stuck it out long enough to get to Darwin.

Easiest way to avoid it is to always manually save after exiting a shop.

-- Ben
-----[Ben Morgan]-----
ad1066 AT gmail you know the rest
Ben's Wasteland Walkthrough

AWAC
Scholar

Post by AWAC » November 11th, 2013, 1:06 pm

Having the same problem with the shop in Quartz it doesn't ask me if I want to enter new location I just bump into the building ouch!
Change the weapon size

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » November 11th, 2013, 1:18 pm

Yeah, this is one of those old heritage bugs we can't fix. Only known way to circumvent it is always saving right after you leave a store.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » November 11th, 2013, 2:51 pm

AWAC wrote:
Brother None wrote:Yeah, sorry Frank, we weren't too clear on it. I'll add it to that known issues list, and meanwhile we'll see if we can't still find a fix. These things can be surprisingly tricky working with cobbled together old code.
Cant get back into stores no enter message after I have been in them once. Can they close for the night?
:o
See this thread. It's a known issue and a legacy bug from the original code. It cannot be fixed.

smcclenaghan
Initiate

Re: Store/shop disappear bug still present

Post by smcclenaghan » November 13th, 2013, 10:05 pm

Has anyone experienced problems talking with NPCs?

I see the store/shop bug and can understand it.

I'm concerned that the same thing happened with the Mayor in the 3rd floor of the courthouse because he won't do anything when I go near him.

I don't mind if it's just a store or two, but I'm concerned I might not be able to finish the game.

Should the mayor do anything or am I jumping the gun assuming it is related to the shop. (It is totally possible I exited the game while talking to the mayor - I can't remember).
Like comics? Try ours:

http://www.remnants-comic.com

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » November 13th, 2013, 10:15 pm

You don't actually talk to him. Start an encounter and Hire him.

Or just leave him there.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

dlux
Novice

Post by dlux » November 16th, 2013, 6:34 pm

I have run into this bug twice already (in Highpool and Quartz). I was able to edit my savegame file with the Wasteland Suite and make the shops accessible again. :D

I can post how this is done if somebody might be interested.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » November 16th, 2013, 11:28 pm

Be good if you could. A few people have run into the bug and some may like to fix it.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » November 16th, 2013, 11:34 pm

Depending on how it works, it might also be a workaround for the Clone Tank Bug which seems to be somewhat arbitrary as to when it decides to show up.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » November 17th, 2013, 4:27 pm

Montgomery Markland wrote:If that is the case, it is something we cannot fix (but I believe there are steps you can take to make sure it does not happen to you).
Brother None wrote:Only known way to circumvent it is always saving right after you leave a store.
Revolucas wrote:From Per's guide:
Because of a PC-specific bug, you should always save (manually or by instantly leaving for another map) after exiting an important shop.
Always save after leaving a shop. Due to the nature of the autosave, if you leave a shop and then get attacked and die, the saved game location will be in the shop. When it loads up again, it kills the shop.

Exhaustive Wasteland Walkthrough By Ben Morgan
You maybe cant fix the bug, but perhaps its possible to program a script to avoid the bug from happening. Every time you exited a store, the game must autosave to avoid this bug. Shouldnt it be possible to program a script that can do this? Maybe autosave could be triggered by the disapearing shop portrait? Or something else?