Any Mac players present who are playing it on Steam?

For all discussion of gameplay and game strategy, as well as help with technical problems.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Brother None
Developer

Any Mac players present who are playing it on Steam?

Post by Brother None » November 8th, 2013, 2:45 pm

Just want to ensure it works, we're getting some reports on issues.

If you have a Mac and want to test it out for us, PM me and I'll toss you a key.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Brenex
Initiate

Re: Any Mac players present who are playing it on Steam?

Post by Brenex » November 8th, 2013, 2:50 pm

I'm on a mac with steam and can't get it to install. It says it is ready to play but it never even downloaded the game files. The wasteland folder under steamapps, common is empty. Clearing cache, deleted local files, and redownloading didn't make a difference.

Syphonius
Initiate

Post by Syphonius » November 8th, 2013, 4:19 pm

What Brenex said. It claims to install but running it just gives me a message about no executable found.

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » November 8th, 2013, 4:24 pm

Steam just got back to us on this and it should be fixed now. Can you try downloading again and let us know?
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

mpd
Initiate

Post by mpd » November 8th, 2013, 4:41 pm

I was in the middle of writing a response that it was still broken, but right in the middle of that another small patch came in that lets it start up now. Haven't had a chance to actually get into the game yet, though. Will update here if I run into any issues later when I'm home.

ecliptik
Initiate

Post by ecliptik » November 8th, 2013, 9:01 pm

It downloaded and installed on OSX 10.0 with the Nov 8th Steam Beta Client. Originally there were issues where the game key activated in my library, but nothing was downloaded and it wouldn't play. A few hours later it auto-updated and then worked.

I've played it for about 20 minutes so far and have found the following issues.

1. Game freezes frequently, once near The Citadel when going through the action menus, and another time when fighting rabbits in the farmers garden. I have to reset my MacBook at this point.

2. Steam overlay doesn't work, and apple-tab doesn't go back to the OSX desktop. I'm not sure if this is by design or shouldn't work in the first place.

3. I'm not sure how to quit the game properly, hitting escape doesn't work and due to issue #2 above the only way I can fully exit is by powering off completely.

The game runs great other than that and I look forward to checking out the world of Wasteland once some of the bugs are ironed out.

Revolucas
Explorer

Post by Revolucas » November 8th, 2013, 9:45 pm

The steam overlay isn't supposed to work. You can exit the game through the save menu.

ecliptik
Initiate

Post by ecliptik » November 8th, 2013, 9:56 pm

Cool, thanks for the tip. Would be nice if the Steam Overlay or command-tab worked to checkout some guides or put the game on pause. Guess it makes it more like the original experience though.

Unfortunately the system freezes seem to happen a lot and I haven't gone to the save menu since the game usually dies before I get far enough to consider it.

Syphonius
Initiate

Post by Syphonius » November 9th, 2013, 8:41 am

Finally got around to trying it again last night. Worked fine for me this time (better than Windows 8).

I noticed one paragraph (paragraph 2 I believe) did not give me the book icon to click. Whichever one it was, it was very early in the game, no further than the train yard.

under_dog
Explorer

Post by under_dog » November 9th, 2013, 10:06 am

ecliptik wrote:Cool, thanks for the tip. Would be nice if the Steam Overlay or command-tab worked to checkout some guides or put the game on pause. Guess it makes it more like the original experience though.

Unfortunately the system freezes seem to happen a lot and I haven't gone to the save menu since the game usually dies before I get far enough to consider it.
i didn't get any system freeze in the 5 hrs i've put into it so far.

Bubonic
Initiate

Post by Bubonic » November 9th, 2013, 10:40 am

OS X 10.9. According to steam I've been playing it for about 9 hrs. It has probably crashed about a dozen times during that time. I was able to kill it every time with cmd-option-esc. This got me back to my OS and I was able to start WL back up through Steam straight away. Only once did Steam complain that the game hadn't closed yet which caused me to resort to Force Quitting the process (Steam) via Activity Monitor.

I have, however, hit a fairly nasty in-game bug that I never encountered in either the C64 or Dos version of the game:

Only the right-most clone pod works. The other three trap my character inside the pod instead of ejecting him/her out to rejoin the party.

Edit: Correction - none of the pods work. The right one appears to, but using it breaks the game somehow. Messages are mixed up, and there is no way to leave the level (the normal level select dialog doesn't appear when you go to the ladder). Blast. I was really looking forward to using those.

Besides that, and having to manually save the game a lot more than I'm used to it seems to be working reasonably well. I am also encountering the missing paragraphs mentioned in the known issues thread, but I still remember most of the passwords anyway, so it's not a deal-breaker for me. I haven't tried the reset utility yet, so I'm hoping that will work as planned.

FenianEMT
Initiate

Post by FenianEMT » November 9th, 2013, 1:11 pm

I'm on OS X 10.9 running the game through Steam, and I'm seeing the lock-ups too.

Also, the reset utility appears to hang and/or corrupt the game files. When I try to continue my saved game, I get the following error and have to force quit: "A disk error has occurred. Please check the disks."

Using the Wasteland Character Editor (through DOSBox) also corrupts the files.

POTENTIAL (very) MINOR SPOILER AHEAD

Also (and I doubt this is Mac-specific), I got stuck in the cave in Highpool. I was able to climb back into a corner, but my climb attempt always failed when I tried to get out. It must have autosaved me there (I told it not to save before I quit), because I was still stuck there when I quit and resumed my saved game. So that sucked.

icebrrrg
Initiate

Post by icebrrrg » November 9th, 2013, 2:02 pm

Playing on a 2011 27" iMac, just started today ... installed fine, no problems yet, but I'm not very far in. Would love to know how I can get it to play in windowed mode (instead of full-screen), though.

under_dog
Explorer

Post by under_dog » November 9th, 2013, 2:17 pm

command + shift + F

BrotherMagneto
Acolyte

Post by BrotherMagneto » November 9th, 2013, 5:23 pm

Has anyone been able to get macros to work on the Mac version? I can't seem to get the key combination right.

Bubonic
Initiate

Post by Bubonic » November 9th, 2013, 11:37 pm

BrotherMagneto wrote:Has anyone been able to get macros to work on the Mac version? I can't seem to get the key combination right.
ctrl + F1, ctrl + F2, etc. to start/stop recording the macro (or possibly fn+ctrl+F1, etc. Depending on how your Mac is set up). Then just the function key (or fn+F1, etc) to use it.

BrotherMagneto
Acolyte

Post by BrotherMagneto » November 10th, 2013, 10:37 am

Bubonic wrote:ctrl + F1, ctrl + F2, etc. to start/stop recording the macro (or possibly fn+ctrl+F1, etc. Depending on how your Mac is set up). Then just the function key (or fn+F1, etc) to use it.
Cool, thanks, it was the fn key I was missing.

Still kind of new to Macs.

Fessadil
Initiate

Post by Fessadil » November 10th, 2013, 10:46 am

I managed to crash things to the point where I had to reset my MacBook fairly early on. I was attempting to figure out how to switch to another application. I've since learned the correct combo to switch to windowed mode, which helps. It would be nice if there was a way to default it to windowed. Is there some option I can supply to the launcher in Steam?

mpd
Initiate

Post by mpd » November 11th, 2013, 2:58 pm

For anyone unable to quit the game when it freezes, command-alt-escape should get you out without a system restart.

archer1031
Initiate

Post by archer1031 » December 31st, 2014, 5:38 am

I download the game today cause the 50%OFF
Is there anyone know how to go back to the OSX desktop?
the command+tab dosent work