Important Attributes for Brawlers

For all discussion of gameplay and game strategy, as well as help with technical problems.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Patient Roller
Scholar

Important Attributes for Brawlers

Post by Patient Roller » September 11th, 2013, 6:50 am

In anticipation of Wasteland 2, I decided to finally play through the original game! I wanted to create a superstudly multistriking all-brawler party, but I couldn't find decent information on what attributes are actually important in character creation. Just some decidedly vague stuff, like "Luck affects everything you do. It also helps with melee combat."

I tested all attributes with the aid of the character editor (http://wasteland.rockdud.net/bin.html), and here is how they affect brawling:

ST/DEX/LK: Each stat increases melee damage in equal measure. LK is supposedly the governing stat for brawling, but that didn't seem noticeable in any way while I was playing. (High governing stat usually makes a skill easier to increase, but brawling only seems to increase against sufficiently tough enemies. I.E. you can get brawling to 3 by fighting some enemies, but not higher. You can spar with brother Goliath to get brawling all the way up to 7, but not higher.)

AG: Increases chance to hit enemies. Makes your character harder to hit.

SP: Determines who gets to move first during a round. (But gun users always get to shoot first - lousy lead maggots!)

IQ/CHR: No effect.

If there is more detailed information about attributes/indepth on game mechanics somewhere, I would very much like to read it. =) A few old comments almost seemed to suggest something like that, but I couldn't find anything good with google.

ad1066
Scholar

Re: Important Attributes for Brawlers

Post by ad1066 » September 11th, 2013, 1:27 pm

A couple of years ago, I decided to play the original again using an all-melee party. The difference was significant enough I had to update my walkthrough to accommodate it.

All-melee actually makes great swaths of the game easier, due to the double XP gains. In times past, when I played through the game using guns, I always had trouble with certain areas (such as the Vegas sewers). With this run through, I'd equipped my guys with chainsaws as soon as it became affordable to do so (along with the two proton axes when they became available), and by the time I got to the sewers, they were chewing through everything down there with very little problem. I was able to get through nearly everything (except maybe Scorpitron) up to the Citadel without firing a shot. For the home stretch I switched to energy weapons, which like always I was able to level up very quickly.

Also, never having to reload means never having to buy ammo, which means a hell of a lot more cash along the way (and never any inventory issues). I hadn't realized just how much of my earnings were eaten up by ammo costs. if I recall correctly, I had several million by the end, and nothing to spend it on.

-- Ben
-----[Ben Morgan]-----
ad1066 AT gmail you know the rest
Ben's Wasteland Walkthrough

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » September 11th, 2013, 10:00 pm

Remember that leveling-through-use takes into account your level and, I believe, the enemy's level. A level 1 character (Private) fighting a bunny is never going to level their brawling or pugilism skill.

Also, 7 is around where everything pretty much caps out. While Brawling and Pugilism can go higher through purchase, higher cost skills will wrap around after that.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

jpayne1138
Acolyte

Post by jpayne1138 » December 12th, 2013, 6:04 am

I've finished Quartz and Needles and am just moving in to Vegas. Most of my party is Grenadiers or Fire Grenadiers. And I've been using Brawling very heavily since the beginning of the game. Everyone in my party has 2 or 3 in Brawling, except for one person who just hasn't leveled up. Any ideas or tips? Or is it just pure chance?

Patient Roller
Scholar

Post by Patient Roller » December 16th, 2013, 6:03 am

You have to hit an enemy for brawling to go up. If your guy has low agility (misses the target often), or low speed (he gets to act last in combat), that's the kind of thing that could easily drag him behind. Not to mention that at 1 brawling, he only gets one attack per round. :oops: The actual level progression mechanic seems to be based on chance (as far as I could tell, there's no hidden &fistexp variable that would quarantee a level up after it passes a certain threshold, or anything like that), but the chances of a skill levelling up tend to be quite generous; if a tough opponent keeps getting hit by a guy with low brawling skill, the skill will go up in no time.

If you're still in Vegas, you could go punch the scorpitron. :mrgreen:

macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting » December 16th, 2013, 11:43 am

With a nick like "Patient Roller," you must have a doozie of a stat set on your Rangers. Thanks for your input, too!
My thoughts: The lowest-speed character and/or the one with the lowest Agility strikes me as a good cause for splitting the party. Go find high-level mobs (hard to find in my experience, but my experience is short) and give that fellow a chance to lay on and clobber.

jpayne1138
Acolyte

Post by jpayne1138 » December 16th, 2013, 12:33 pm

macksting wrote:With a nick like "Patient Roller," you must have a doozie of a stat set on your Rangers. Thanks for your input, too!
My thoughts: The lowest-speed character and/or the one with the lowest Agility strikes me as a good cause for splitting the party. Go find high-level mobs (hard to find in my experience, but my experience is short) and give that fellow a chance to lay on and clobber.
Punching Scorpitron at the moment. Leveling up Brawling, but also Medic and Doctor. :)

jpayne1138
Acolyte

Post by jpayne1138 » December 16th, 2013, 1:11 pm

Spent like an hour and a half fighting Scorpitron, and the thing finally died. Now I'm not sure if I really want it to be dead. My toons haven't finished leveling up Brawling. I'm actually thinking of quitting and restarting. What do you all think?

macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting » December 16th, 2013, 2:33 pm

*laughs* I think you're insane, but otherwise have no input!