Wasteland Character Editor

For all discussion of gameplay and game strategy, as well as help with technical problems.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

inspectre27
Novice

Wasteland Character Editor

Post by inspectre27 » February 16th, 2013, 6:47 am

A long-time fan of the Fallout series, I never had the opportunity to play the predecessor, Wasteland. Until now. I got my hands on a boxed set of "The Ultimate RPG Archives", which contains the original Wasteland. I'd love to play it through for story, so I don't feel left out when Wasteland 2 arrives, but having a day job and a family, I haven't got huge amounts of time to spend on grinding out good characters.

So I found a Character Editor on the web, wlcharedit.zip. I unzipped it to the directory where the Wasteland files are kept, ran the editor .exe, but I get a message that "Character File not found in current directory". If anyone is familiar with this program, can you please assist?

Or if you know of another way to get buff characters to run through the story more easily, I would also appreciate that.

(Yes, I am aware that I'm a cheater. I don't care about your name-calling. This is simply how I wish to play the game I spent my money on.)

PsychicMonk
Novice

Re: Wasteland Character Editor

Post by PsychicMonk » February 16th, 2013, 8:52 am

When you run the editor you should be asked for the path of your Wasteland directory (e.g.: C:\waste)
Enter it at the prompt and you should be fine.

Btw: You can also level up really fast using one of the several glitches+macros

inspectre27
Novice

Post by inspectre27 » February 16th, 2013, 11:41 am

The editor does ask for the path, which I give it, but it always returns the same response.

Also, would you please explain the levelling glitches that you speak of?

inspectre27
Novice

Post by inspectre27 » February 16th, 2013, 12:16 pm

Never mind. I figured it out. For the record, the editor does not like spaces. Your directory path needs to have no spaces, or it will never recognize the path. :)

PsychicMonk
Novice

Post by PsychicMonk » February 16th, 2013, 1:10 pm

inspectre27 wrote:The editor does ask for the path, which I give it, but it always returns the same response.

Also, would you please explain the levelling glitches that you speak of?
I'm not sure you need them since you have the editor. Many are explained in the thread "Exploiting Gambling" but be warned because they will most likely ruin your gaming experience.
http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.c ... =14&t=1850

Ugly's rooftop is a good starting point for a weak party to quickly get XP.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » February 16th, 2013, 9:39 pm

inspectre27 wrote:Never mind. I figured it out. For the record, the editor does not like spaces. Your directory path needs to have no spaces, or it will never recognize the path. :)
Probably because it's old school DOS where you couldn't have spaces in path names.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Felixg91
Adventurer

Post by Felixg91 » May 17th, 2013, 4:47 pm

I sympathize with wanting to play excellant characters rather than lame ones, I dont get a lot of time to do what I want, I paid for the game and I should be able to play it the way I like ( you hearing me Blizzard- those guys are ass-clowns). Who wants to play Leisure suit larry, when you could play James Bond? I hope that a Wasteland 2 editor is released as soon as its released. Because as long as you dont cheat when playing other people, cheating is OKAY! That said I really dont like to play with other people, multi player just pisses me off (lookin at you again Blizzard).

I am very psyched about this game enough to put money out for it in advance, I wish I had known about it sooner since I would have backed it even sooner, without hesitation.

I loved Fallout and Fallout 2, Fallout tactics was OK. I really hated Fallout 3, not so much the story or the premise or the way it was written, it was the stupid point of view, which made it a glorified first person shooter, I played through it thinking the whole time how much I hated it, and how 3rd person isometric view like the first 3 games was so much better. I didnt even buy New Vegas.

I hope WL2 is as replayable and as fun or more fun than Fallout 1 and 2. THanks developer guys your the bestest! Thanks for not making another 3rd person shooter game.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » May 17th, 2013, 10:42 pm

Felixg91 wrote:I didnt even buy New Vegas.
Pity. New Vegas was a fantastic game.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » May 18th, 2013, 4:49 am

Felixg91 wrote:it was the stupid point of view, which made it a glorified first person shooter
I guess the entire Wizardry series was a glorified FPS too right? :roll:

GuybrushWilco
Initiate

Post by GuybrushWilco » November 9th, 2013, 2:53 pm

I remember using this, or something like it, many years ago, but I can't seem to make it work now :). I can open up the save file and edit it, but when I try to load it in the game, I get a 'disk error.'

CorwynD
Initiate

Post by CorwynD » November 10th, 2013, 7:19 am

I have the same problem. When I use the editor and then go to continue my game I get "A disk error has occurred. Please check disks." I'm on Windows 7 and running the GOG version of Wasteland 1.

I tried using Hex Editor Neo but on Game1 but can't find the character data.

AxesOfEvil
Initiate

Post by AxesOfEvil » November 10th, 2013, 7:56 am

I spent a while rolling characters with good stats, but didn't set my skills. Rather than rerolling everything over again, I thought I'd just hack my skills in. But I had the same issue you did. the 'wledit.exe' wrote out a corrupted game file.

However, I was undeterred. Using the spec here:
http://wasteland.wikispaces.com/Character+Data

I was able to decrypt, edit and re-encrypt my game files and they were loaded properly, so the files themselves use the same syntax as the originals. My guess is that wledit is just not very robust.

Since for me this was a one-off, I just quickly hacked something together in perl, so if you aren't a programmer it probably isn't of mush use, but here's a link anyway:
http://pastebin.com/rEupJiAX
Last edited by AxesOfEvil on November 10th, 2013, 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

CorwynD
Initiate

Post by CorwynD » November 10th, 2013, 8:18 am

What program do you use to decrypt/re-encrypt?
I've been using the free version of Hex editor Neo for years which has until now been all I need until now. It doesn't have the decrypt/encrypt in the free version though.

AxesOfEvil
Initiate

Post by AxesOfEvil » November 10th, 2013, 8:40 am

There are no hex editors that can decrypt or encrypt the wasteland files. You need a dedicated program to do so.
Wasteland has a rather rudimentary encryption built in. My perl script does that, but you'd need to install perl (I use it in linux, but there is a windows version)
If you do, you can run:
perl wasteland_editor.pl
from your save game dir.
It'll write out GAME1.new which you need to reanme to GAME1 (back up the original 1st in case things go wrong)
You can edit the 'skills' and 'attrs' (near the top) with the values you want, it should be pretty evident how to do it by looking at what is there. The list of available skills is at the bottom of the file.
Sorry, there isn't much more I can help with beyond that. As I said, this was a one-off to save me half an hour of rerolling. It probably took me an hour to write, so it was a net loss, but I don't expect to ever need it again.

I also just saw this:
http://kayahr.github.io/wlandsuite/
you could try using 'unpackgame' (and 'packgame') from there. It looks like it converts the game file to XML which should be pretty easy to hack. I haven't tried it though.

CorwynD
Initiate

Post by CorwynD » November 10th, 2013, 1:03 pm

This is both odd and frustrating. I installed ActivePerl and using the script it works fine in that it creates the character.new, characters.orig and game1.new. However, when I rename the Game1.new to Game1 I still get the "A disk error has occurred. Please check disks." error message when loading. Grrrr.

I'll have to look into the pack/unpack.

Thanks.

AxesOfEvil
Initiate

Post by AxesOfEvil » November 10th, 2013, 1:19 pm

CorwynD wrote:This is both odd and frustrating. I installed ActivePerl and using the script it works fine in that it creates the character.new, characters.orig and game1.new. However, when I rename the Game1.new to Game1 I still get the "A disk error has occurred. Please check disks." error message when loading. Grrrr.

I'll have to look into the pack/unpack.

Thanks.
I assume your game1 works before you run it? If it is already corrupt, I don't think there is any way to fix it.
If you upload your GAME1 and GAME2 file somewhere I can take a look, though I'm not sure if this is sufficient to be able to copy someone's game or not.

Revolucas
Explorer

Post by Revolucas » November 10th, 2013, 1:37 pm

There is a savegame unpacker here: http://kayahr.github.io/wlandsuite/unpackgame.html

EDIT: Nevermind I see you have found it already.

CorwynD
Initiate

Post by CorwynD » November 10th, 2013, 3:03 pm

Thanks! I was able to use the unpackgame/packgame successfully to edit the characters. I'll have to figure out why Perl isn't working, but not today. I've finished playing Ultima I-VIII and I'm half way through IX. I've also done Questron 1.
I was looking for a break from fantasy so Wasteland was re-released at the right time.

Thanks for the help!

ad1066
Scholar

Post by ad1066 » November 11th, 2013, 8:44 am

If it's the same character editor I had found back in the day, it only accepts text input in all caps. Hit the caps lock, and you should be fine.

-- Ben
-----[Ben Morgan]-----
ad1066 AT gmail you know the rest
Ben's Wasteland Walkthrough

karjala
Initiate

Post by karjala » November 23rd, 2013, 4:08 pm

Does this still work with the steam version of Wasteland?

The unpacker complains about

"unpackgame: ERROR! No msq header found in stream"

And the wledit does not find any game. No spaces in any path.