Resetting Base Cochise

For all discussion of gameplay and game strategy, as well as help with technical problems.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Lucius
Master

Resetting Base Cochise

Post by Lucius » November 2nd, 2012, 2:27 pm

Is there a way to reset Base Cochise in dosbox version, without resetting the main party or hiding it from the map? I've completed the game and I'm saved outside the base, but I'd like to go back in and talk to the computer for the lore bits, since that is in game and not in the paragraph book, iirc. I made the mistake of immediately typing "break" and forgot to ask it about mission and finster etc. I've never seen what it has to say on those topics.

Or anyone have access to it and can just type in the quotes here in the forums? :D

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: Resetting Base Cochise

Post by Drool » November 2nd, 2012, 10:30 pm

Two ways (sort of). You can get the reset tool which will reset the entire game (but I think you need to use it on a clean install to make the backup masters). Or, if you walked to Cochise, you can go to the Guardians and fly in. I think that completely repopulates the base.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Wild_Bill_711
Scholar

Post by Wild_Bill_711 » December 7th, 2013, 8:40 pm

You're really all outta luck / 'options' here...
Completing the "self-destruction" of Cochise has 'destroyed' the 'computer screen' in question !
Presuming you DID use the "Escape Pod" to leave the final level (the quickest way out)... you then 'went through the computer screen', then down the 'escalator' and out the Main Gate... to escape back into the desert !

I always "saved" the helicopter (until AFTER Cochise's destruction) just to be able to 'restore' Cochise as an active location... to 'play' with its robots.

ONLY IF the helicopter is 'used' for the FIRST VISIT to Cochise, will it kill/destroy ALL of the original robots surrounding the outside of the Base ! IF the first visit is by ground / from the desert, the helicopter DOESN'T kill/destroy any of them !!!

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » December 7th, 2013, 8:57 pm

That's interesting. I finished WL 11/2/12 based on the thread date. Now, the new enhanced WL, I finished 11/12/13 says Steam. I hadn't realized I played nearly exactly a year apart.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » December 8th, 2013, 6:20 am

Wild_Bill_711 wrote:ONLY IF the helicopter is 'used' for the FIRST VISIT to Cochise, will it kill/destroy ALL of the original robots surrounding the outside of the Base ! IF the first visit is by ground / from the desert, the helicopter DOESN'T kill/destroy any of them !!!
Not quite.

First, the helicopter doesn't do anything about the random encounters outside Cochise aside from maybe adjusting the rate. The robots the helicopter can destroy are the ones on the roof that come out of pods. There's a handful of them, and those robots don't appear anywhere else. Kind of a pity, since they have some of the more creative names.

Secondly, depending on how you roll on your piloting check you can 1) crash into the wall in the Citadel, 2) crash into the roof of Cochise without destroying anything other than your helicopter, 3) crash into the roof of Cochise while destroying some of the rooftop robots, or 4) crash into the roof of Cochise while destroying all of the rooftop robots.

I don't think I've ever gotten a skill increase from using the helicopter, and I've crashed it even with a 3 in piloting. :(
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Wild_Bill_711
Scholar

Post by Wild_Bill_711 » January 18th, 2014, 9:52 pm

Think my Dec 8th. comment was correct... :D
IF the FIRST 'visit' to Base Cochise IS "by helicopter"... the "flight" WILL kill / destroy ALL of the original 'robots' surrounding the outside of the base, AND on the 'roof'... BEFORE it 'crashes' on the roof !
There WILL STILL BE "Random Encounters" 'springing-up' later, all along the outside area. You're just 'spared' the 'effort' of killing those 'original' robots yourself... and 'missing' the 'experience points' you could have gained !

I always completed / destroyed Cochise, from the ground, AND "SAVED" using the helicopter for 'later'... that way I could 'return after Cochise's 'self-destruction' AND 'restore' it as an "active" location on the 'Main Map' enabling more returns for any 'loot' left behind and/or to 'play' with the (random encounters) robots there !!! :lol:

Helicopter pilot 'skill' - as I recall... the act / process of "unlocking the pilot's seat" was the 'event' that 'triggered' the 'skill check'... for a level boost. That 'involved' Helicopter Pilot skill along with probably higher Dexterity and Luck (possibly in the 30's) attributes. A 'boost' from a level 1 to a level 2 was an extremely rare occurrence (even with Vax) ! Wasn't about to go back to the 'Chopper simulator' and "waste" 6 SKP's for a level 2 skill !

As for "Crashing" inside the Guardian's Citadel... simple 'solution'... just "Exit the Game WITHOUT Saving"... and TRY AGAIN !!!
Possibly, all your Rangers (especially your 'pilot') should be "well rested" (in maximum condition) BEFORE the 'flight' ?????

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » January 19th, 2014, 6:18 pm

Wild_Bill_711 wrote:IF the FIRST 'visit' to Base Cochise IS "by helicopter"... the "flight" WILL kill / destroy ALL of the original 'robots' surrounding the outside of the base, AND on the 'roof'... BEFORE it 'crashes' on the roof !
No, not always. I have had the chopper shot down by the rooftop robots.
As for "Crashing" inside the Guardian's Citadel... simple 'solution'... just "Exit the Game WITHOUT Saving"... and TRY AGAIN !!!
Possibly, all your Rangers (especially your 'pilot') should be "well rested" (in maximum condition) BEFORE the 'flight' ?????
Yes, thank you. After 25 years, I've figured out how to quit a game without saving. And condition has nothing to do with it. There's a skill check, and since there's a skill check, you can fail it.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Wild_Bill_711
Scholar

Post by Wild_Bill_711 » January 20th, 2014, 8:35 pm

My usual "pilot" character has attained a rank around Sergeant Argent, with a 'Dex' around a '16' and a 'Luck' around '17'... and my "first attempt" is successful about 90% of the time. By that I mean I 'arrive at my destination' ! Think I've received a skill 'boost' (from a "1" to a "2") only 2 or 3 times, in the 25+ times I've used the helicopter.

"Helicopter Pilot" skill is REQUIRED to 'unlock the pilot's chair', which begins a 'string of game messages' -
"You reach over and release the seat lock - it slides back and you drop into it. Engines roar when you hit the switches"

"You start to lift off and feel the copter veer toward the wall. You grab the stick and move to avert disaster."

***** probably some "Luck" or "Dexterity" check here *****
IF you 'succeed' / 'pass the check', the game message continues -

"You handle the stick like an old pro; flying this puppy will be a breeze. Get any passengers with you before you take off".

"One-way only:" (choose your destination)
A) Base Cochise (one of the six choices) !!!

IF you 'fail' / 'DON'T pass the check', the 'game message' continues -
'The copter crashes into the wall (at the Citadel)'. The helicopter just "disappears" and you're left standing there in the Citadel !

AT Base Cochise - using the helicopter is an "Everything" or "Nothing" 'deal' !
IF used for the FIRST 'visit' / 'trip to Cochise' - (game message) indicates that the helicopter has 'destroyed' all the robot guards on the outside of the Base; NOTE there will still be "random encounters" there !

IF you've been to Cochise before (entering from the desert), then there is NO (game message) about the robot guards... you're just left 'standing on the roof', beside your 'crashed helicopter'; along with any/all robot guards you 'left-behind' / 'failed to kill' on your previous 'visit(s)' to Cochise !!!

There's a 'map marker' on Cochise (also on Sleeper), "You've come upon a seldom used trail that leads to a place you didn't know existed before" - this 'message' / 'marker' "disappears" when you have entered the location from the desert !

The 'presence' of this 'marker' may be the factor that determines IF the helicopter is your first visit (destroying the robots)... OR the 'absence' of this 'marker' may determine you've been here before AND No robots get destroyed by the helicopter... any that you 'left behind' are still awaiting your return ! Hee, hee, hee ! :lol:

I know... "been there... done that" !!! :roll:
Returning to Cochise, by helicopter, AFTER its 'destruction'... have occasionally 'stumbled upon' a few robots 'missed' the first time through (usually back corners of the base). Even 'crashed' on the roof - only to find the 4 groups of robots still there... AND a few groups of robots on the ground (to the east & west) also 'still waiting for me' !!!