Were there any skills that were useless??

For all discussion of gameplay and game strategy, as well as help with technical problems.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: Were there any skills that were useless??

Post by Drool » June 15th, 2012, 9:15 pm

I want to say there was someone you could talk to by using Confidence, but I can't remember. Maybe Laurie if you didn't use the key from Ellen?
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Wild_Bill_711
Scholar

Post by Wild_Bill_711 » June 15th, 2012, 10:31 pm

Answers to a few previous comments:
Laurie at Stagecoach Inn - easiest way in was with Ellen's Roomkey & 'words' exchanged with Ellen.
another possibility, 'Picklock' door... convince Laurie you're 'trustworthy' (Confidence, maybe Charisma) & 'words' exchanged with Ellen.
OR take / give her a Servo Motor from the 'Housekeeping' area !

'Jammed' weapons... lower level characters usually had trouble "unjamming" weapons WITHOUT a basic Skill level 1 for that weapon (Pistol, Rifle, SMG, Assault Rifle, Energy Weapon). Mid-level characters might occasionally have trouble "unjamming" a weapon WITHOUT a basic level 1 skill for the appropriate weapon.
Even a character with a higher weapon skill (3+) may very infrequently fail to "unjam" a weapon ('bad luck' ?), but will succeed next 'try' !

Helicopter Pilot skill - required an IQ of 19 & 3 SKP; and 'passing' a high Dexterity (30 ???) attribute check !
Just kept 'trying to enter the "Simulator" with the same character UNTIL successful' - 10+ 'tries' was not uncommon !
'Unlocking the Pilot's Seat' & 'successfully flying the helicopter' involved the Skill & Attribute checks... although usually 'successful at flying', a 'skill boost (to level 2) was a very rare occurrence !!!

flpngboy
Initiate

Post by flpngboy » June 18th, 2012, 3:33 am

Didn't use

Pugilism - I never threw a punch. I always used brawling and proton axes
Knife throwing - don't bring a knife to a gunfight (unless you have proton axes)
Knife fighting - brawling, proton axe
Gambling - Very useful, but I used metallurgy in the cave with a pick axe and got me free money endlessly with one macro program
Cryptology - I think it had some use but I never needed it to beat the game.
Bureaucracy - I think you could use it to forge documents for Brygo. Funny thing is I always beat the game without doing the Ugly-Brygo quest series.
Forgery - I've heard that it could be used instead of IQ someplace inside Finster's head but I never bothered.

Used only once (but got them every time)

Safe cracking - Used it at the citadel to get into the vault without having to blow the door off and lose the second meson cannon.
Toaster repair - I think there were 3-4 toasters to repair at the citadel. It was worth the power packs
Helicopter pilot - I never had any trouble with flying to Cochise and using the helicopter weapon systems to destroy most of the resistance on the tower. Drop a rope through a weapon pod and you're in the base.
Silent move - Saving Dan is worth a SP or 3
Cyborg tech - You kinda have to have it that one time.

Got it but never saw its usefulness
combat shooting :)

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » June 18th, 2012, 8:13 pm

flpngboy wrote:Forgery - I've heard that it could be used instead of IQ someplace inside Finster's head but I never bothered.
Forgery is great for the mind maze. It fails far less often than IQ, even with only 1 point in it.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

jpayne1138
Acolyte

Post by jpayne1138 » December 13th, 2013, 12:23 pm

flpngboy wrote: Gambling - Very useful, but I used metallurgy in the cave with a pick axe and got me free money endlessly with one macro program
I have leveled one character up to 12 on Gambling skill. I've read other people who say I should do this with every character, but I can't see the point. Am I missing something?

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » December 14th, 2013, 9:26 am

There's a couple exploits that use Gambling, but I've found they're rarely worth it. I give a character 1 point in Gambling when I'm using Super Loot Bags, but other than that, I don't bother.
Alwa nasci korliri das.