Starting Off - Recommended Guides

For all Torment discussion that does not fit elsewhere. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

Don czirr
Initiate

Starting Off - Recommended Guides

Post by Don czirr » December 26th, 2017, 10:50 am

Hi - just getting going on this game and having some fun so far ...

Nice interesting world !

I'm a little unsure however if I should care at this point about gearing up my party?

I know this game is not really combat focused but the Infinity Engine traditionalist in me is saying to get some armor for the Tank etc

I went to do so and found that he can't remove his undershirt ....

Would it be fine then just to push on and get the party geared up as opportunities present themselves or would it be more prudent to put more effort into gearing up at the start?

Jozape
Explorer

Re: Starting Off - Recommended Guides

Post by Jozape » December 27th, 2017, 6:17 am

The only armor you should be able to buy is for TLC; the rest have their own apparel that can be improved and you will have a good idea of when you can do it. Other gear can usually though not always be swapped and you will have plenty of opportunities to change them from many different vendors. Really I don't think you need to worry though. I've played twice and I wouldn't say I was constantly upgrading the gear of my party.

Just be prudent.

Don czirr
Initiate

Post by Don czirr » December 27th, 2017, 6:12 pm

Thanks Joz - I'm playing a Nano - so I guess not to much concern about armor at this point.

It feels odd not driving to look for armor for Erritis ... but based on what you said I just need to banish IE relics from my mind and adapt to the 9th World ....

Jozape
Explorer

Post by Jozape » December 28th, 2017, 6:38 am

This is very different from most RPGs, even Planescape: Torment. The playing field is more level in violent encounters and those encounters are more risky and less frequent. There trash mobs but they are arguably less frequent than other types. The effort system can be easily abused outside of violent encounters, especially if you are a Nano or Jack. If you have a high edge and effort character in intelligence then you can avoid a lot of troubling situations. It's also handy when the situation becomes violent as many foes can be reasoned with or manipulated while trying to beat you into a bloody pulp.