On the topic of digital immortality, continuation and death

For all Torment discussion that does not fit elsewhere. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

Firkraag
Adventurer

On the topic of digital immortality, continuation and death

Post by Firkraag » October 26th, 2017, 4:00 pm

"I am a warhead of weaponized Truth." The Last Castoff (non-canon).

"Colin's period as Jesus was an interesting time." © Brother_None

kilobug
Adventurer

Re: On the topic of digital immortality, continuation and death

Post by kilobug » October 28th, 2017, 12:32 am

Very interesting (and overall quite accurate I would say), and quite relevant in Numenera / Torment context.

I particularly love the "out of the box" thinking after showing how hard it would be to "kill" an immortal the obvious way (destroying/corrupting all the backups) you just have to change them so much they are different people (but "what can change the nature of a man ?").

The only real disappointment is when he speaks about how gradual change (because living so long, or because of mental augmentation) makes you no longer the same person, he doesn't compare it to childhood... basically you're a mentally upgraded and vastly changed version of the toddler you, and yet we consider we are the same person, and I don't think many people would wish people to remain toddlers and never grow up. It's not a definitive answer to the problem, but it does bring it into perspective.

Firkraag
Adventurer

Re: On the topic of digital immortality, continuation and death

Post by Firkraag » October 28th, 2017, 10:40 pm

kilobug wrote:
October 28th, 2017, 12:32 am
Very interesting (and overall quite accurate I would say), and quite relevant in Numenera / Torment context.

I particularly love the "out of the box" thinking after showing how hard it would be to "kill" an immortal the obvious way (destroying/corrupting all the backups) you just have to change them so much they are different people (but "what can change the nature of a man ?").
Well, I can see people be inconsistent and carefree even when their safety is concerned. And big important services never cease to amaze with their ability to screw up things big time.

Imagine mass leakage of backups, for example and your copy being experimented and tortured on, memory being methodically shuffled for a way to get an advantage over you. Or mass server crush. There's a lot to be covered in there, before people would consider it "as safe, as you can get".
kilobug wrote:
October 28th, 2017, 12:32 am
The only real disappointment is when he speaks about how gradual change (because living so long, or because of mental augmentation) makes you no longer the same person, he doesn't compare it to childhood... basically you're a mentally upgraded and vastly changed version of the toddler you, and yet we consider we are the same person, and I don't think many people would wish people to remain toddlers and never grow up. It's not a definitive answer to the problem, but it does bring it into perspective.
Isaac Arthur seems like a sound and reasonable guy. Bring it up to him, he'll probably consider it!
"I am a warhead of weaponized Truth." The Last Castoff (non-canon).

"Colin's period as Jesus was an interesting time." © Brother_None