When is the game going to be finished?

For all Torment discussion that does not fit elsewhere. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

Adahn451
Initiate

When is the game going to be finished?

Post by Adahn451 » October 24th, 2017, 5:44 am

I was waiting for the game to be finished until I give it a full play, however, I am confused why there haven't been any new releases for several months now?

To be clear, I am not expecting more content, but the game still clearly needs a lot of bug fixing releases. Also, there still needs to be one novel and two comics released.
Last edited by Adahn451 on October 24th, 2017, 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

troybpierce
Initiate

Re: When is the game going to be finished?

Post by troybpierce » October 24th, 2017, 6:50 am

I agree with you 100% that they need at least ONE more patch to clean up bugs/glitches. New content is not necessary, but more patches for bugs/glitches is.

I too have not beaten the game yet because I am hoping for more patches. I did make a character and farted around for a few hours just to get a feel for the game, but then I deleted the character and have been holding off from starting a serious playthrough in the hopes that more patches are coming.

My fear is that because the game didn't sell well (at least that's the general consensus on this forum - I don't have any specific sales numbers), they may have abandoned continued support for the game.

I believe that Microsoft and Sony charge large fees (thousands of dollars) to patch console games, so they may have abandoned support for this game simply because it was released on consoles too. I'm not bashing console owners (I actually purchased this game on PS4), I'm just stating the reality - because it is very expensive to patch console games, and because this game sold poorly, they may have abandoned all support for this game. But I really hope I'm wrong...

I too am desperately awaiting more patches before I play.

And I agree with you - they don't need to add any more content, but they really need to release some patches to fix lingering bugs.
Last edited by troybpierce on October 24th, 2017, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adahn451
Initiate

Post by Adahn451 » October 24th, 2017, 8:57 am

troybpierce wrote:
October 24th, 2017, 6:50 am
My fear is that because the game didn't sell well (at least that's the general consensus on this forum - I don't have any specific sales numbers), they may have abandoned continuing support for the game.
Why would it matter even if it didn't sell a single copy? Inxile collected 4 times more money via kickstarter than they initially hoped.
troybpierce wrote:
October 24th, 2017, 6:50 am
I believe that Microsoft and Sony charge large fees (thousands of dollars) to patch console games, so they may have abandoned support for this game simply because it was released on consoles too.
I knew that releasing this game on consoles was a horrible idea... I hoped I was wrong, but... :(

troybpierce
Initiate

Post by troybpierce » October 24th, 2017, 9:11 am

I'm just guessing that they may have stopped supporting the game because sales were disappointing, but you are correct that they raised a ton of money on kickstarter to develop the game. So hopefully they will continue to support the game.

I'm in the same boat as you - I don't want to play until more patches are released to fix bugs. But I am becoming less and less optimistic about more patches since it has been a few months since the last patch was released.

Godfather101
Explorer

Post by Godfather101 » October 24th, 2017, 9:40 am

I don't know if there is much to patch.
I finished Torment in the release month and did not really encounter any severe bug (although i played on Pc, perhaps its different on consoles).
Also, the amount of money they raised via kickstarter doesn't matter, because every single cent of the money went into the development of the game and the stretchgoals (and even for that it wasn't enough money).
Its not like Inxile is sitting on a big pile of money from 2013 and don't want to do anything.
They spent all the money.

And as i said, i did not encounter any severe bug and was able to play Torment from start to finish without any problems.
Until then there were some Patches (even a content patch) so it should be safe to play it now.
At least on Pc.

Adahn451
Initiate

Post by Adahn451 » October 24th, 2017, 11:02 am

Godfather101 wrote:
October 24th, 2017, 9:40 am
And as i said, i did not encounter any severe bug and was able to play Torment from start to finish without any problems.
There might be no fully game breaking bugs or CTDs, but I remember counting over 20 bugs just after finishing the first fight in the game. At that moment I decided to give it some time, until the bugs are fixed, and I even decided against reporting the bugs I found, as they were so obvious, that I assumed they are going to be reported hundreds of times and fixed soon. Alas, about half a year passed now, and no new releases have been... released.

troybpierce
Initiate

Post by troybpierce » October 24th, 2017, 11:59 am

Actually, 3 patches have been released.

There was a Day 1 patch available at release, but the game was still very buggy after the Day 1 patch (at least on PS4).

They later released a 2nd patch to quash some bugs and improve performance on consoles.

And then they later released a 3rd patch which not only addressed some bugs, but also added some new content for free.

I honestly only played the game after the 1st patch (on Day 1), and it was definitely still very buggy after patch #1 (at least on the PS4).

I haven't played it after patches 2 and 3 because I was waiting to see if all the patches had been released before I started playing. Pillars of Eternity, for example, got TONS of patches after release. PoE was STILL receiving patches more than TWO years after its release.

I assumed this game would be similar to PoE - still receiving patches years after release. But now I am beginning to think that there will be no more patches (though we don't know for certain...).

Serjo
Explorer

Post by Serjo » October 24th, 2017, 3:02 pm

troybpierce wrote:
October 24th, 2017, 11:59 am
(though we don't know for certain...)
There have already been a few threads like this one, here and on the Steam forums. I assume the developers either aren't sure or they don't want to say.

jsaving
Novice

Post by jsaving » October 24th, 2017, 7:30 pm

PoE received continuous support because Obsidian wanted to make money by selling future expansion packs and eventually PoE2. If TToN had sold as well as PoE then we'd be seeing exactly the same thing here, but it didn't so we aren't.

Adahn451
Initiate

Post by Adahn451 » October 25th, 2017, 5:14 pm

jsaving wrote:
October 24th, 2017, 7:30 pm
PoE received continuous support because Obsidian wanted to make money by selling future expansion packs and eventually PoE2. If TToN had sold as well as PoE then we'd be seeing exactly the same thing here, but it didn't so we aren't.
Didn't they receive 4 times more sales than they expected? I thought the point of funding a game via Kickstarter, was precisely so they would get their sales BEFORE making the game?

I wouldn't even mind them SELLING the bugfix patches, I just want to see the game finished.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » October 25th, 2017, 7:01 pm

I would mind paid bugfixes. Actual bugs are the developer's responsibility. Paid improvements I would not mind; for instance a second Kickstarter to make missed stretch goals.

I've heard of cases where the publisher stonewalled further fixes, and the developers were prevented from releasing them.

Adahn451
Initiate

Post by Adahn451 » October 25th, 2017, 7:57 pm

Gizmo wrote:
October 25th, 2017, 7:01 pm
I've heard of cases where the publisher stonewalled further fixes, and the developers were prevented from releasing them.
Again, I thought that this is what funding a game via Kickstarter was supposed to prevent?

I wish developers at least would give us some information, whether the game is abandoned or not.

The fact that they still didn't release the 2 remaining comics and 1 novella, makes me hope that it is not completely abandoned, just "on pause".

If the game is indeed abandoned, then perhaps they could release the tools which would allow the community to make the patches themselves? Probably all old classical RPGs, including Planescape Torment, have unofficial patches developed (by the community) to this day.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » October 25th, 2017, 8:25 pm

Adahn451 wrote:
October 25th, 2017, 7:57 pm
Gizmo wrote:
October 25th, 2017, 7:01 pm
Again, I thought that this is what funding a game via Kickstarter was supposed to prevent?
One would think... But many of us also expected a WL2 & BT4 both more like their proper series—despite being less marketable; on the assumption that if it was already paid for, that wouldn't matter. :?

jsaving
Novice

Post by jsaving » October 25th, 2017, 8:48 pm

It's very rare to hear definitive word from a developer that they've abandoned a game, because making that announcement can (further) depress sales. At most you might hear that no further content updates are planned at this time, or something to that effect.

Serjo
Explorer

Post by Serjo » October 26th, 2017, 11:08 am

TTon is having a free weekend on Steam right now.

If there were a new patch in the pipeline, I think they would have waited for its release before doing this - a free weekend is a pretty radical step, and you want the game to be in the most polished state possible.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » October 26th, 2017, 11:30 am

The Free Weekend is why I did not buy Dishonored. It came up as free on Steam, I downloaded it, played it through to the end, and moved on to another game. It's a great game, but there was no reason to play it again; is it the same for Torment? (...a great game, once?)

IMO some games don't belong on the Free Weekend, and probably don't benefit. It's bad enough that Steam & GoG offer a money-back guarantee —no questions asked, but Steam offers even relatively short games, several days for free... games easily completed during a day or so. There is just no reason to buy it after that—unless it's an exceptional game... and so few are these days.

Serjo
Explorer

Post by Serjo » October 26th, 2017, 11:43 am

The sad thing is that three days are plenty of time to finish the game if you don't take your time while reading. Outside of the dialogues and the Meres, TToN has only about 8-10 hours of gameplay. So, in effect, they're giving people an incentive to skim through the most interesting parts of their game :shock:

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » October 26th, 2017, 1:34 pm

You finished first Dishonored in two days?

Impossible! Witchcraft!

Did you sleep at all?
"I am a warhead of weaponized Truth." The Last Castoff (non-canon).

"Colin's period as Jesus was an interesting time." © Brother_None

Lix
Acolyte

Post by Lix » October 26th, 2017, 2:19 pm

Dishonored is simple to complete if you take the aggressive route, which is more fun anyway. I think it takes about eight hours that way.

Firkraag
Adventurer

Post by Firkraag » October 26th, 2017, 8:04 pm

Ah... It took me around 60~ for the second one, and similarly for the first one to go ghostly.

I can safely claim, that Aggressive walkthrough is pretty meh.
"I am a warhead of weaponized Truth." The Last Castoff (non-canon).

"Colin's period as Jesus was an interesting time." © Brother_None