When is the game going to be finished?

For all Torment discussion that does not fit elsewhere. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Re: When is the game going to be finished?

Post by Gizmo » October 26th, 2017, 8:10 pm

Firkraag wrote:
October 26th, 2017, 8:04 pm
Ah... It took me around 60~ for the second one, and similarly for the first one to go ghostly.

I can safely claim, that Aggressive walkthrough is pretty meh.
I mainly tried stealth. On the last map, I discovered that the tension/suspension wires could actually be traversed, and so ran past much of the base on one. (I assume that this wasn't a great secret though.)

troybpierce
Initiate

Post by troybpierce » October 30th, 2017, 4:10 pm

Welp, I've finally accepted the fact that it is VERY unlikely that any more patches will be released for T:ToN. So this weekend I finally began a serious playthrough of the game. I only managed to play 10 hours this weekend, as my wife begins nagging me the very INSTANT my butt hits the couch cushions whilst I have a controller in my hands...I swear... I had to get up early and sneak out of the bedroom on Saturday and Sunday morning to play while she was still snoring. Never get married...

In my 10 hours of playing this game, I have not noticed a single bug. It seems like the game is in really good shape now after the 3rd patch.

The main reason for my post is to say that I am truly LOVING this game. I find the companions to be well written and there is plenty of humorous banter between them.

Also, the graphics look great and the world is beautiful.

But what surprised me the most is just how much fun I am having with this game. Reading mountains of text can sound a bit boring, but what keeps me engaged is how interactive the text is - there are constant skill checks, and the conversations are constantly rewarding you with exp, stat bonuses, gold, and items if you pass the skill checks (and in a surprising twist of fate, sometimes you get a better reward for FAILING certain skill checks). The game is more interactive than I expected, and I think that's why I'm liking it so much. You are not just passively reading text - you are actually playing a game (which is what I want from a video game).

Lastly, there is more combat in the game than I expected. Yes, they eliminated trash mobs, but many encounters can devolve into combat based on your dialogue choices. I am an OCD completionist, so I usually have a strategy guide sitting in my lap to make sure I make the best possible choice in every situation. But for this game they didn't make a strategy guide, so I am playing it completely blind (though I do check the internet on occasion to see how to solve certain quests). Without a strategy guide, I am just kind of guessing what effect my dialogue choices will have. I have had many of my conversations devolve into combat because of my dialogue choices. So there are more opportunities for combat in this game that I expected.

I am still in the first city (Sagus Cliffs), but this game has exceeded my expectations in every single way. This is a must play rpg for anyone that loves the isometric rpgs of old, or if you love Pillars of Eternity or Tyranny.
Last edited by troybpierce on November 2nd, 2017, 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » November 1st, 2017, 2:50 pm

Adahn451 wrote:
October 25th, 2017, 5:14 pm
Didn't they receive 4 times more sales than they expected? I thought the point of funding a game via Kickstarter, was precisely so they would get their sales BEFORE making the game?
That's not how it works, bub. Kickstarter just guarantees enough funds to make the game, that's it. If you want a couple of programmers and QA team to continue working on the game after the launch, you need to pay them, and IT people aren't exactly cheap. The game has bombed so hard sales wise, the math just doesn't check up.

I don't see what the big deal is anyways, classic RPGs have often needed many years of community patches before becoming reasonably playable. TTON at its current state is not perfect, but it's perfectly playable.

Don't get me wrong here, I would love to see the game receiving the kind of post-relase support Wasteland 2 had, with content updates and possible Director's Cut. But ultimately they run a business over there.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.