Upcoming patches?

For all Torment discussion that does not fit elsewhere. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

RadonGOG
Scholar

Upcoming patches?

Post by RadonGOG » August 20th, 2017, 9:03 am

Well, I´ve already asked some very specific stuff over here (viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18370), but this time a more general question:
Is there currently a patch in the makings? Or is 1.1.0. supposed to be the final patch unless you get new bug reports?

jsaving
Novice

Re: Upcoming patches?

Post by jsaving » August 20th, 2017, 1:28 pm

I enjoyed TToN and liked your suggestions for how the game could be further improved, but I doubt we'll see any further dev work on the game. The recent "backer patch" (Oom etc) didn't have the desired effect in terms of increasing sales, and the recent Steam sale didn't move the needle much either. Absent concrete evidence that further work on TToN would bring in substantial revenue, it seems safe to say we won't see anything more than touch-up work going forward.

Lix
Novice

Post by Lix » August 21st, 2017, 10:08 am

As I understand it, inXile's teams are fully committed to Wasteland 3 and Bard's Tale 4 now. It's still absolutely possible that they could spare a coder to work on a final Torment patch, but there's no "Torment team" anymore.

Also important: Torment is a console game, and future patches will have to be tested on all platforms and certified by Sony and Microsoft. Even a single patch could be prohibitively expensive compared to its potential benefits. The same thing happened with WL2 - patch support was dropped after a few months, with a fair amount of new gameplay bugs still unfixed. Just wasn't profitable to publish new patches anymore. Compare that to Pillars of Eternity, which could push out patches at a steady clip for more than two years after release.

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » August 22nd, 2017, 2:02 am

I understand that pushing patches on consoles is slow, painful and expensive, but we should at least have patches for the PC (Windows/Linux/Mac) versions... that's kinda sad when "not being able to push a patch on consoles" means "no patch for everyone" :/

Tadziomencel
Acolyte

Post by Tadziomencel » August 23rd, 2017, 9:05 am

I think that branching to consoles shouldn't mean no patches for PC editions. Make it like some kind of DLC that is free for backers and the rest have to buy it but there are still areas for development beyond Oom, Codex etc. Perhaps adding more foci, expanding the labyrinth, joinable factions, all changes that can even further develop the replayability. This way InXile can still get money from it, they can deliver more content for the backers free of additional charge and the game can be improved further. This way everyone wins. And since something is a DLC and one can make a pack out of DLCs and sell it to consoles as well.

jsaving
Novice

Post by jsaving » August 23rd, 2017, 7:28 pm

Persistently low sales are why we won't see another significant patch for PC editions. Your suggestions are solid and would make the game better, but aren't ever going to happen as DLC unless a lot more people are persuaded to buy the game.

Serjo
Scholar

Post by Serjo » August 24th, 2017, 1:28 am

jsaving wrote:
August 23rd, 2017, 7:28 pm
Persistently low sales are why we won't see another significant patch for PC editions. Your suggestions are solid and would make the game better, but aren't ever going to happen as DLC unless a lot more people are persuaded to buy the game.
In the current Steam market, I think the $10 mark has a huge psychological importance. If inXile can bring themselves to put Torment up for 9.99 they could potentially get a lot of revenue they would otherwise have missed out on.

RadonGOG
Scholar

Post by RadonGOG » August 27th, 2017, 3:07 am

kilobug wrote:
August 22nd, 2017, 2:02 am
I understand that pushing patches on consoles is slow, painful and expensive, but we should at least have patches for the PC (Windows/Linux/Mac) versions... that's kinda sad when "not being able to push a patch on consoles" means "no patch for everyone" :/
Tadziomencel wrote:
August 23rd, 2017, 9:05 am
I think that branching to consoles shouldn't mean no patches for PC editions. Make it like some kind of DLC that is free for backers and the rest have to buy it but there are still areas for development beyond Oom, Codex etc. Perhaps adding more foci, expanding the labyrinth, joinable factions, all changes that can even further develop the replayability. This way InXile can still get money from it, they can deliver more content for the backers free of additional charge and the game can be improved further. This way everyone wins. And since something is a DLC and one can make a pack out of DLCs and sell it to consoles as well.
Agree to both and would like to add that even console players would benefit from this, course the patches could be brought in as a whole patch package after some time they´ve been on PC and well-tested, due to most of these fixes, tweaks and will probably be multiplattform.
Serjo wrote:
August 24th, 2017, 1:28 am
jsaving wrote:
August 23rd, 2017, 7:28 pm
In the current Steam market, I think the $10 mark has a huge psychological importance. If inXile can bring themselves to put Torment up for 9.99 they could potentially get a lot of revenue they would otherwise have missed out on.
Suggestion @InXile: Combind this with the idea from Tadziomencel! Drop the base price point, give all backers and the ones that bought the game up to now a season pass with equal cash value and start developing AddOn-Content as well as patches.

RadonGOG
Scholar

Post by RadonGOG » August 30th, 2017, 1:30 am

Talking about consoles and PillE...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPqNSy0JoIA