A call for more Numenera from Inxile! :)

For all Torment discussion that does not fit elsewhere. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

troybpierce
Initiate

Re: A call for more Numenera from Inxile! :)

Post by troybpierce » November 9th, 2017, 8:20 am

Lix wrote:
November 8th, 2017, 5:40 pm
The last sale has given Torment a burst of new user reviews, and they're 65% positive.
I bought the game way back at release, but didn't start playing until last month. I have only positive things to say about Torment: Tides of Numenera. It has exceeded my expectations in every way, and I have no doubt that at some point in the future it will be considered a cult classic. I only wish InXile had made more money on this endeavour, as the game is truly amazing and InXile deserves a significant financial reward for making such a unique game.

My biggest fear about this game (and the reason I waited for months after its release before I finally started playing it) was that because it only received 3 post-release patches, the game would be plagued with bugs. But rest assured that Version 1.10 is indeed in great shape! I've read online that some people are still experiencing bugs, but in my 40-hour playthrough as a Nano I didn't notice a single bug.

I'm an OCD completionist who attempts to do all quests in a single playthrough, so games usually take me FOREVER to complete (it took me over 190 hours to complete a single playthrough of both The Witcher 3 and Dragon Age: Inquisition, for example). I'm usually so exhausted by the time I complete an RPG that I usually never touch the game ever again after I finally finish it, haha.

In the case of T:ToN, it's actually a really short game (I completed it in 40 hours, and that's super short for me). The length of the game could be significantly shorter or longer depending on how fast/slow you read the text (you could make the game really short by just clicking buttons to skip all the text, or make the game really long if you have the patience to pore over every detail).

The good thing about this game being short is that I wasn't completely exhausted when I finished it, and I've actually decided to do a second playthrough as a Jack. I'm having just as much fun on my second playthrough as the first, though I'm guilty of just hitting buttons to skip much of the text this time around. I'm guessing that I might be able to finish the game in only 20-something hours this time around by skipping most of the text. There are multiple ways to resolve each quest, and it's been fun to experience the different quest resolutions on my second playthrough.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » November 18th, 2017, 6:48 am

Thanks for the feedback, troybpierce! Glad you are enjoying it. The game was built to be replayed with different characters so you should have plenty more to see this time around... and the next, and the next. :)

troybpierce
Initiate

Post by troybpierce » November 21st, 2017, 7:28 am

I have finished my second playthrough as a jack. I did not experience any bugs on my second playthrough either, and I feel that Version 1.1 is in great shape!

The game does seem to be a bit underappreciated by the rpg gaming community at the moment (just like its predecessor Planescape: Torment was back when it was released). But I do think T:ToN will attain cult classic status at some point in the future (just like Planescape: Torment did).

Great game is all I have to say!!!

unguided
Initiate

Post by unguided » November 24th, 2017, 2:17 am

Get Beamdog to do an enhanced edition right now! I meant that as a joke, but actually... If they could work closely with the Torment team it might not turn out to be a bad idea.

But I assume now the focus is (correctly) on the next two InXile games. And at some point in the coming year they will probably be on Fig again with a new pitch. To be honest I never saw Wasteland 3 coming... So why not a Torment sequel?

All depends on the pitch... If it can take the 'series' forward in some way (like mutliplayer, wouldn't it be great to having deep philosophical discussions with other players in an in game-bar... Tied to a sort of endless battles where you have to convince other players to join one faction over another? No? Just me :)

In any case, if there is a new idea to keep things fresh, I think it could be successful (on Fig at least). It's still my gut feeling that the Torment brand is too valuable to not be revisited some time.

I mean... Just look at how many times they tried to bring Jagged Alliance back! Wait, that might not be a great example actually :)

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » November 24th, 2017, 5:15 am

unguided wrote:
November 24th, 2017, 2:17 am
...If it can take the 'series' forward in some way (like mutliplayer...
, wouldn't it be great to having deep philosophical discussions with other players in an in game-bar...
No

One goes in to those bars to find strange denizens with philosophically alien appearance and perspectives, not cos-players; nor patrons who pause for SMS & Facebook notifications.