A call for more Numenera from Inxile! :)

For all Torment discussion that does not fit elsewhere. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

TheSeaker
Initiate

Re: A call for more Numenera from Inxile! :)

Post by TheSeaker » August 3rd, 2017, 10:56 am

@kilobug: I completely agree with your responses 100%. However, responding to people like DaedalusAI is not going to be fruitful, though I share your urge to counter his/her negative hyperbole concerning something he/she obviously does not understand. People like this actually enjoy spreading their negativity (usually unfounded as you pointed out - just knee jerk reactions without much thought) and usually can't be reasoned with. Especially "betrayed backers" who are actually rating their hurt feelings/disappointment, and not the actual game itself.

Anyway, I've got an update for the poll:
Total = 75
Yes = 60 (80%)
No = 15 (20 %)

What's interesting I think is that these percentages are hovering around the critic scores you see on metacritic. Leads me to believe that roughly 80% is the actual general score for this game which is amazing when you think about what kind of game this is (heavy on reading, imagination, etc and less on hack/slash). And to the people saying it'll "never happen", don't be so pessimistic. If we show Inxile that this game has succeeded in giving us another classic like PS:T, it will increase the chances of them coming back to Numenera once they've had a good break away from it. Though, I should stress that there are never any guarantees and we shouldn't expect or demand any. We just show them our respect for their Numenera work and hope for the best :).

vv221
Forum Moderator

Post by vv221 » August 4th, 2017, 8:00 am

TheSeaker wrote:
August 3rd, 2017, 10:56 am
(…)
Please calm down on personal attacks, daedalusAI has a right to have an opinion on the game as much as you have.
Feel free to dispute the ideas, but not the people.

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » August 4th, 2017, 11:39 am

Thanks for the warm words of support (and the interesting conversation around the poll). And yes - to echo vv221, there's no need to make it personal.

TheSeaker
Initiate

Post by TheSeaker » August 5th, 2017, 3:53 pm

@ vv221:
Thanks for bringing that to my attention! My passion for this game got the best of me. Looks like I'm going to have to watch out for that "knee jerk reaction without much thought" in myself going forward :).

@ phimseto:
Thanks for responding. Glad you appreciate the poll and ideas floating around this thread so far. And I hope it helps in some way to offset any lingering disappointment the Torment team may be feeling. In the end, they made an absolutely STUNNING Numenera game (a difficult genre/setting to nail down)!! I have no doubt it will end up a classic just like PS:T and I hope the team eventually finds the desire to return to Numenera to create more content. BTW, Steam now has the last 30 reviews as "very positive"! PS:T didn't have this kind of reception out the gate :).

Speaking of polls, here's the latest and greatest (Reminder, the question is: "Would you like to see more Numenera from Inxile?"):
Total = 88
Yes = 71 (80.68%)
No = 17 (19.32%)

Thanks everyone! Keep em coming and spread the word about this great game!

TheSeaker
Initiate

Post by TheSeaker » August 8th, 2017, 4:21 am

Another update:
Total = 96
Yes = 79 (82.29%)
No = 17 (17.71%)

Votes still trickling in. If you haven't voted, please consider giving your 2 cents to the poll. All votes are valuable.

TheSeaker
Initiate

Post by TheSeaker » August 10th, 2017, 10:37 am

Another update:

Total = 100
Yes = 82 (82%)
No = 18 (18%)

If you have any trouble voting, please let me know. I have a free account and I'm not sure if I can collect past 100 votes. It says I can collect unlimited responses, but can only view the first 100. Not sure what that means for a simple yes/no survey so if you cast you vote after the 100 mark, please let me know that as well. Thanks everyone!

vv221
Forum Moderator

Post by vv221 » August 13th, 2017, 8:54 am

TheSeaker wrote:
August 10th, 2017, 10:37 am
(…)
I just threw a vote, does it show on your side?

TheSeaker
Initiate

Post by TheSeaker » August 16th, 2017, 6:16 am

Hey vv221,

Thanks for the vote! Unfortunately, survey monkey wants me to pay a monthly sub of $35 to see past 100 responses so the latest update I gave is all I've got which stinks because I have 122 votes and growing. I might pay for a month to see the rest if I can come up with a way to not give my card info. To be continued.... KEEP VOTING!!

vv221
Forum Moderator

Post by vv221 » August 17th, 2017, 11:55 am

TheSeaker wrote:
August 16th, 2017, 6:16 am
Unfortunately, survey monkey wants me to pay a monthly sub of $35 to see past 100 responses
Ouch, that’s really expensive for this kind of service…
Next time give me a heads up before running a poll, I could code a simple poll engine for you in less than one hour, without this kind of limitation ;)

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » August 18th, 2017, 12:31 am

@vv221 @TheSeaker there already are Free Software to handle online survey, and free hosted ones, like http://papilio.niadomo.net/create/ :)

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » August 18th, 2017, 7:36 am

doesnt phpBB feature in forum polls?

may be worth checking with the InXile admins if you cant do it right now, normally you can also assign the permissions to only mods and up. That may be an option for this without opening the gates to hell.

GavinJF
Developer

Post by GavinJF » August 18th, 2017, 12:35 pm

TheSeaker wrote:
August 1st, 2017, 6:09 am
El-Jinto and Canadu in the first Sagus Cliffs area: From talking with them, you learn that they have been traveling around probably for centuries of "regular time" gathering Numenera for the goal of capturing the million gods of the challifani back in Lhauric. Now, if you knew the Numenera setting (I've read the entire PnP core book and guide...lots of reading) you would realize these guys are super bad-ass.
Fun trivia:
Both were backer NPCs, and the main reason why these guys got such a huge backstory was that the backer's description essentially double-dog-dared us. "The lines on his face indicate he has many tales to tell."

"Dang," we said. "We're going to have to have him tell a lot of tales." Lhauric seemed like a cool place for both of them to have come from for a variety of Conan-related reasons.

Of course, once Jinto had a lot of tales, poor Canadu seemed lacking, so we had to give him some tales to tell as well. And that's the much less dirty version of how two minor characters became a fantasy novella instead.

TheSeaker
Initiate

Post by TheSeaker » August 22nd, 2017, 6:17 am

@Vv221, kilobug - well crap, that would have been really helpful. Appreciate the offer though vv221. What's the chances, ya think, of getting everyone to vote again if I start over? :P

@ GavinJF - Thanks for the awesome tidbit!!! I had no idea those two were backer inspired. Now it makes even more sense why Canadu has the "stop pestering me" disposition :). Love it! And as a sidenote, thank you guys for that cameo from Sir Arthour. When I highlighted the area and saw his name, I was hit with the same star-struck feeling I got when Eliminster randomly showed up in BG1. I've played cRPGs for many years now and that feeling is a rare gen for me :). Thanks devs!

TheSeaker
Initiate

Post by TheSeaker » August 31st, 2017, 5:20 am

Hallo all,

Just letting you know that the poll is still going fairly strong. It's up to 178 votes at the moment. I'm going to wait and pay survey monkey one month at some point to get the final numbers. Until then, KEEP VOTING!!

A quick thank to everyone who's voted so far! And also to others for making suggestions about better ways to survey :P. Lastly, I haven't researched it yet, but if anyone has suggestions on the best way to make a one time payment with a method that's easily cancelled, please feel free. I don't trust survey monkey that much :).

TheSeaker
Initiate

Post by TheSeaker » September 14th, 2017, 10:55 pm

Another update. 243 votes are in and its still growing. Wish I could tell you the results but it'll have to wait a bit longer until votes stop coming in.

Thanks again everyone for participating and showing your support!!

Jozape
Explorer

Post by Jozape » September 15th, 2017, 2:43 am

GavinJF wrote:
August 18th, 2017, 12:35 pm
TheSeaker wrote:
August 1st, 2017, 6:09 am
El-Jinto and Canadu in the first Sagus Cliffs area: From talking with them, you learn that they have been traveling around probably for centuries of "regular time" gathering Numenera for the goal of capturing the million gods of the challifani back in Lhauric. Now, if you knew the Numenera setting (I've read the entire PnP core book and guide...lots of reading) you would realize these guys are super bad-ass.
Fun trivia:
Both were backer NPCs, and the main reason why these guys got such a huge backstory was that the backer's description essentially double-dog-dared us. "The lines on his face indicate he has many tales to tell."

"Dang," we said. "We're going to have to have him tell a lot of tales." Lhauric seemed like a cool place for both of them to have come from for a variety of Conan-related reasons.

Of course, once Jinto had a lot of tales, poor Canadu seemed lacking, so we had to give him some tales to tell as well. And that's the much less dirty version of how two minor characters became a fantasy novella instead.
Well you implemented those backer NPCs very well. It's just a pity we don't get to see more of them or where they went. I felt the same about Dracogen and don't care if you straight used the name of an online personality or w/e people's complaint for it was; I really would have liked to explore the Ninth World and find the beast itself. I suppose that wasn't the purpose of the game though.

daedalusAI
Initiate

Post by daedalusAI » September 30th, 2017, 1:01 am

TheSeaker wrote:
August 3rd, 2017, 10:56 am
@kilobug: I completely agree with your responses 100%. However, responding to people like DaedalusAI is not going to be fruitful, though I share your urge to counter his/her negative hyperbole concerning something he/she obviously does not understand. People like this actually enjoy spreading their negativity (usually unfounded as you pointed out - just knee jerk reactions without much thought) and usually can't be reasoned with. Especially "betrayed backers" who are actually rating their hurt feelings/disappointment, and not the actual game itself.

Anyway, I've got an update for the poll:
Total = 75
Yes = 60 (80%)
No = 15 (20 %)

What's interesting I think is that these percentages are hovering around the critic scores you see on metacritic. Leads me to believe that roughly 80% is the actual general score for this game which is amazing when you think about what kind of game this is (heavy on reading, imagination, etc and less on hack/slash). And to the people saying it'll "never happen", don't be so pessimistic. If we show Inxile that this game has succeeded in giving us another classic like PS:T, it will increase the chances of them coming back to Numenera once they've had a good break away from it. Though, I should stress that there are never any guarantees and we shouldn't expect or demand any. We just show them our respect for their Numenera work and hope for the best :).
You can't be bothered to actually counter my arguments, but you feel the urge to do something so you make only 1 argument - which is ad hominem.
And the party about me "spreading my negativity": you can't be bothered to contribute to a civil discussion and to rebut my arguments - but you almost seemed forced to throw dirt my way hoping that it sticks so you don't have to actually deal with my arguments.

And that last part: "usually can't be reasoned with". Quite ironic when you take a look at your comment to my arguments.

In the name of what majority are you declaring that this game has succeeded? I wouldn't call a game a success that released its last patch only months after release - while not communicating how they butchered things like the combat last minute.

I can't respect yet another studio that just "forgot" how to communicate with its customers and that just had to "modify" what was outlined to be in the game last minute.

vv221
Forum Moderator

Post by vv221 » September 30th, 2017, 4:07 am

Please calm down on the ad hominem, nothing good will come out of this.

Arsene-Lupin
Acolyte

Post by Arsene-Lupin » October 1st, 2017, 6:08 pm

What's interesting about TToN is that, while many games have *tried* to get rid of random, narrative-irrelevant combat, it's the first game to actually release with that ambition intact. Final Fantasy XIII may be the most egregious example: Square-Enix proudly proclaimed that combat sequences would be few, and each would be special, unique and significant to the story. But when the game released, it was nothing but long corridors forcing players to go from one random battle with random enemies to another for hours on end. (Battles that had even *less* relevance to the lack of any experience system or meaningful ways to upgrade the playable characters).

Perhaps Square-Enix, and all the others who tried and failed, realized something that InXile did not: that those random, meaningless combat sequences are not, in fact, wholly meaningless. That while they may not be relevant to the narrative, they *are* relevant to the player's experience.

In Planescape Torment, there was lots of combat. And it was tedious. And it was awful. And it did nothing to improve the narrative of the game. But it did give players something to do in-between running from NPC to NPC and talking. It created balance, and gave players a greater sense of agency.

When I read the negative reviews for TToN, the lack of combat is the most common criticism. I do not think there was anything wrong with the *setting* for TToN; I do not think there was anything wrong with the characters or story of TToN; I do not believe there was anything wrong with the writing in TToN.

I think, therefore, that it remains a rich setting to explore with future games, provided the design is tweaked. For better or worse, CRPG gamers enjoy combat. But more importantly, they *expect* combat. And lots of it. I can definitely see a sequel to TToN selling well if, like Planescape Torment did back in the day, if there's a greater emphasis on combat and other simpler, "popcorn" aspects to appease the broader audience. If TToN's failure has demonstrated anything, it's that the audience for a purely narrative-focused CRPG is much smaller than many of us would like to think.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » October 1st, 2017, 8:23 pm

When did getting mugged start having to be relevant to improving the narrative, and needing to be non-random?

The last thing we need in the recent crop of RPGs is more 'Chosen One' encounters that reinforce the utter special-ness of the protagonist.

**It reminds me of the Hitchhiker's Guide, where Zaphod learns that he's the single most important person in the entire universe...
(A simulated VR universe that was created for him to explore—though he didn't know this at the time. He was told of his importance by a simulated torture machine that usually tells people just how insignificant they are in the scheme of the whole universe... except that in this case the universe simulation was made for Zaphod. After the —normally crippling— news, he felt great.)