Oom: OP?

For all Torment discussion that does not fit elsewhere. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

LafinJack
Initiate

Oom: OP?

Post by LafinJack » May 16th, 2017, 1:02 pm

Hi all, and to inXile, thanks for the update! I haven't had a chance to play yet, unfortunately, but now seems like a good time to make time for it. Oom sounds like a fascinating addition, and to me feels very Morte-ish in what we know about it now, as your sort of designated sidekick rather than optional companion.

But... (you knew this was coming)

I definitely do not want to complain about any element of a game I haven't played, or content that others have not worked through yet. I just want to ask - in a general sense - if Oom will make the player too powerful. It seems like it has more support buffs for you and your other companions, but who knows what it can accomplish offensively beyond splortching. I would be more interested in this kind of utility focused concept, rather than eventually having it evolve into your personal avatar of death that makes nothing challenging anymore.

Really, I don't want to complain, just understand! :)

phimseto
Developer

Re: Oom: OP?

Post by phimseto » May 16th, 2017, 1:27 pm

Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator

I honestly don't know the answer to your question, but I do love that we got a "OP" question on Day One of Oom. :-) I do appreciate you asking the question. It's a good one, and also one I think that will generate a different answer from each player.

Hopefully, you enjoy your time with Oom and all the other fixes and features!

LafinJack
Initiate

Post by LafinJack » May 17th, 2017, 4:19 pm

...but I do love that we got a "OP" question on Day One of Oom. :-)

sear
Developer

Post by sear » May 18th, 2017, 12:14 pm

I wouldn't say Oom is overpowered per se. Oom is not as strong at direct attacks as other companions because it can't use normal weapons and equipment. You can also build Oom to be more focused on supporting your party, or on direct damage if you prefer that - albeit with some versatility depending on what form Oom takes.

I'd compare Oom to Rhin - potentially an asset in combat, but not necessarily a great direct attacker, and you have to kind of adapt your approach.

LafinJack
Initiate

Post by LafinJack » May 18th, 2017, 1:36 pm

Thanks, @sear, that's what I figured, but wanted to make sure. :)