The quality of the physical collector's edition is surprisingly, and unfortunately, disappointing

For all Torment discussion that does not fit elsewhere. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

kilobug
Adventurer

Re: The quality of the physical collector's edition is surprisingly, and unfortunately, disappointing

Post by kilobug » March 31st, 2017, 6:09 am

As anti-DRM as I am (I get everything on GOG), I can understand the rationals behind having the game CD/DVD to be a Steam version... the most important one being patches. If they put a "full installer" on the disk, they have to then provide (and host, ...) patches for that version, which represents a significant overhead for them.

What I would have done is put the GOG installer on the disk, and a GOG key to download non-Windows version and updated versions, but they probably don't have the legal rights to do that, and as much as I dislike it, I know Steam is more popular than GOG so...

If they do exchange the Steam key for a GOG key when asked (and anyway we got an additional GOG/Steam key) that's a acceptable compromise to me.

TheGuest
Initiate

Re: The quality of the physical collector's edition is surprisingly, and unfortunately, disappointing

Post by TheGuest » March 31st, 2017, 8:04 am

Received yesterday and I'm soooo disapointed...

Not only we don't have the steelbook from the retail collector edition, but we just have a ridiculous cardboard instead. No plastic case...
Everything feels cheaper than the retail version it's infuriating.

Goodbye inXile.

Jordan Joestar
Acolyte

Post by Jordan Joestar » March 31st, 2017, 10:59 am

WOW guys, I see that the number of backers with damaged CE is increasing every day. I suppose to be one of the lucky backers here that have the CE in perfect condition.
About the quality of it I can say that if Techland had placed a cardboard or plastic divisior inside the boxes where to put each reward (artbook, map, etc.) maybe the CE wouldn't took damages. When I received my package I listened that inside there were lot of space, but when I opened it was everything ok, except that rewards were stored in chaotic order. Well, now my CE is in my library and I placed the stuff inside of it in perfect order.
I hope that with The Bard's Tale IV, InXile will be take more wise choices.
I'm not disappointed, but they can improve something a little bit.
When I'll finish the game I will share my thoughts with all the community, about the game and the rewards.
My resolve will open a path!

Salmanasar
Acolyte

Post by Salmanasar » March 31st, 2017, 12:08 pm

Atsuico wrote:
March 31st, 2017, 5:09 am
Considering I have 25 year old game CDs that are still working and have never had one fail I'll disagree. Plus, working as a professional in media technologies I can tell you CDs will be around for a long time as there is still no other media storage as reliable for consumer use.
Well, I'm archivist and disc rot problem is close to my heart ;) I also have 20+ y.o. discs in perfect working order, but I also have few 10 y.o. ones that one day just died. I know it depends on many factors (one of my home-made backups on cheap CD-R died after maybe 5 years because it was.. well, cheap and home-made), but I wouldnt call CDs very reliable.

galbyman
Initiate

Post by galbyman » March 31st, 2017, 2:33 pm

I just received by copy and the box was in perfect shape. It seems to be the cardboard insert that is the problem, as it was supposed to hold everything in nice and tightly. But it was so cheaply made that it crumbled from the shipping. My plan was to go to a place that I do work for that manufactures all sorts of custom objects and could easily make me a foam insert to hold the items and leave space for the hardback Travelers Guide as well as the Novellas. But seeing that this cardboard insert is glued down to the inside of the box, I am a little worried to do anything.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » March 31st, 2017, 3:30 pm

Thanks for the feedback, all!
Jordan Joestar wrote:
March 31st, 2017, 10:59 am
WOW guys, I see that the number of backers with damaged CE is increasing every day. I suppose to be one of the lucky backers here that have the CE in perfect condition.
There will always be some small amount of damage with any sort of physical goods shipping. It's actually not as high as it seems just from reading the forums here. Those who are satisfied don't complain, but obviously those who did received a banged up box are going to want to vent (and I don't blame them, I'd be upset too if that was me).

We are tracking these reports, and the number of people who have told us they received a damaged box is a few dozen. As many thousands of boxes have shipped, that's a pretty good rate. As we've mentioned, if anyone does run into problems they can reach out to us and we'll try to remedy the situation for them.

Atsuico
Novice

Post by Atsuico » March 31st, 2017, 4:01 pm

Salmanasar wrote:
March 31st, 2017, 12:08 pm
Atsuico wrote:
March 31st, 2017, 5:09 am
Considering I have 25 year old game CDs that are still working and have never had one fail I'll disagree. Plus, working as a professional in media technologies I can tell you CDs will be around for a long time as there is still no other media storage as reliable for consumer use.
Well, I'm archivist and disc rot problem is close to my heart ;) I also have 20+ y.o. discs in perfect working order, but I also have few 10 y.o. ones that one day just died. I know it depends on many factors (one of my home-made backups on cheap CD-R died after maybe 5 years because it was.. well, cheap and home-made), but I wouldnt call CDs very reliable.
Not to start a pissing match over something irrelevant to the thread, but if you're an archivist you should know that plenty of CDs are rated for up to 200 year life expectancy and more. Even the cheaper Taiyo Yuden discs I distribute media on to customers has a lifespan of 100 years. I have yet to have any of these lose data; if they had a problem they had it from the start. I worked for the department of defense and all archival is done with CDs, incredibly important data is stored on CDs rated for over 1,000 years. Sorry but when you say that you "wouldn't call CDs very reliable," I have a hard time believing you are an archivist.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » March 31st, 2017, 9:54 pm

If it works like WL2 did, you can use the disc to install the game via Steam and then not use Steam again. I haven't tried it with my digital copy, but you could do it with that, too. You could just run the executable raw.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Salmanasar
Acolyte

Post by Salmanasar » April 1st, 2017, 12:14 am

Atsuico wrote:
March 31st, 2017, 4:01 pm

Not to start a pissing match over something irrelevant to the thread, but if you're an archivist you should know that plenty of CDs are rated for up to 200 year life expectancy and more. (...) Sorry but when you say that you "wouldn't call CDs very reliable," I have a hard time believing you are an archivist.
I am, but polish local goverment works mostly with paper ;) Anyway, yes, I know there are discs and discs (I wrote that it depends on many factors), but problem is, you never know how good CDs were used. I'm working mostly with cheap, crappy CD-Rs -those definetly wont stand 100 years. Game disc? Maybe, or may be not - there are already reports from game collectors that they have problems with their oldest games for Sega CD, like here: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/0 ... or_the_n64 Not to mention that publishers are often too lazy to renew few licenses (like in GRID case, which dissapeared from stores because of it) so I wouldnt be sure that they're using best avilable discs.

Oh, and funny anecdote - archives in sweden once belived in "100 years life expectancy" and digitalized many of their important stuff on magnetic tapes. I probably dont need to tell you what they've discovered after 20 years ;)

Vandervecken
Initiate

Post by Vandervecken » April 1st, 2017, 9:49 am

I have just received my copy of the CE box, and I am also disappointed:
1) The box is far bigger than it needs to be for the amount of stuff in it. A smaller box would have had an easier time fitting on my shelf. This one is just empty air for the most part.
2) The art book is very disappointing. It is too small, and it just has pictures, not even captions.
3) The game disc is a Steam Installer stub instead of a DRM-free disc.

Well, this has been a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. I don't expect I will ever back an InXile game at beyond a basic digital copy again.

For shame.

CoarseDragon
Initiate

Post by CoarseDragon » April 1st, 2017, 10:27 am

I somehow feel like I spent a lot of money for an almost empty box. Very sad.

Vandervecken
Initiate

Post by Vandervecken » April 1st, 2017, 10:35 am

And I frankly find it *unbelievable* that the retail Collectors Edition contains items that the backer Collectors Edition does not.
What an incredible insult to the most devoted of your fans, InXile.

willyum
Initiate

Post by willyum » April 1st, 2017, 1:39 pm

The carboard insert in my CE box ripped off, as if it was shoddily glued or something. But hey, at least I have a nice cardboard insert floating around in my box. And yes, it's a steam disc with a steam key, not DRM-free. But that was an expected letdown. Hopefully they'll make it right by at least sending out DRM-free discs, like they did for Wasteland 2.

Now I'm REALLy worried about what the "CE" boxes will be like for Bard's Tale IV and Wasteland 3.

mindx2
Acolyte

Post by mindx2 » April 1st, 2017, 3:34 pm

Count me as another very disappointed backer! This CE really is a bad joke on backers. It all just feels so... cheap. It's all so cheaply made and not getting the actual game on disk is shameful. InXile has turned it's back on the whole old school/ retro "Kickstarter" reason for backing and making these PC games. First it's delaying it for consoles, then cutting promised (and KS funded) content and now a pathetic CE edition that's doesn't even contain the statue retail CEs get for 1/3 the price I KSed this thing for!! Everything in this CE looks and feels cheap. Even the printed stories I also received look and feel like kindergarten primer books. Small, thin and flimsy paperbacks that I'm afraid to open for fear the bindings might separate.

I suppose Fargo has been lured away towards the darkside as happened all those years ago at Interplay. It is truly sad. I kind of feel like a sucker right now played like a violin by an expert hustler. As someone else stated, I would not have pledged for a CE of Wasteland 3 if I had received this first. I know that one will also be hugely disappointing and the retail CE contain something better.

Man, this Kickstarter nostalgia bubble has certainly burst the last few years. From having to wait months (if not years) for physical copies to the lackluster CE boxes and contents themselves this hurts as a long time PC gamer and collector. :(

Atsuico
Novice

Post by Atsuico » April 1st, 2017, 5:31 pm

Yea I feel like all the oldschool fans got wrapped around Fargo's finger while he's raking in on our loyalty.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » April 1st, 2017, 5:32 pm

mindx2 wrote:
April 1st, 2017, 3:34 pm
I suppose Fargo has been lured away towards the darkside as happened all those years ago at Interplay. It is truly sad.
The CE's were contracted right? (They didn't manufacture them ~did they?)

We can't really know if they were themselves shocked at it when the first ones arrived for them to really see how they turned out.
Hypothetically, if that were the case... What could they do at that point but ship them? :? (Say 'No' ?)

I find it dubious, and hard to believe that anyone in business would intentionally choose to have a fall-apart product with their name on it; especially given the Kickstarter/Fig business model.

Vandervecken
Initiate

Post by Vandervecken » April 1st, 2017, 7:44 pm

Normally in publishing you get a prototype to approve before mass production begins. It's not like masses of these things just show up and you have to accept them.

white
Initiate

Post by white » April 1st, 2017, 9:25 pm

Gizmo wrote:
April 1st, 2017, 5:32 pm
The CE's were contracted right? (They didn't manufacture them ~did they?)

We can't really know if they were themselves shocked at it when the first ones arrived for them to really see how they turned out.
Hypothetically, if that were the case... What could they do at that point but ship them? :? (Say 'No' ?)

I find it dubious, and hard to believe that anyone in business would intentionally choose to have a fall-apart product with their name on it; especially given the Kickstarter/Fig business model.
Who do you think is responsible for the contract us or them (the Inxile that is)? You, as a contractor, can't make excuses (not that they have made any in this regard) for a lousy job done by your subcontractor in front of your clients. We never gave out money to, what was there name again I forgot.
I commented a month ago on the comparison between "backer" CE and the retail one, that for price invested in the former we are getting the raw end of the deal, to put it mildly. That combined with the delay of the physical shipping - given the quality of the "backer" CE, it's beyond me why this happened at all...
Commenting about the quality of the game itself is for another topic, else I could say a thing or two about that too.
Now, looking back towards the flicks used to promote the TTON's campaign, I wonder who will be in the role of the kid after this debacle?
Last edited by white on April 1st, 2017, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » April 1st, 2017, 10:14 pm

Vandervecken wrote:
April 1st, 2017, 7:44 pm
Normally in publishing you get a prototype to approve before mass production begins. It's not like masses of these things just show up and you have to accept them.
Anytime I've bought printed material in bulk, I was seeing the quality of it the first time when I opened the box. For something like a hard-bound book, I would bet they were shown a generic example of the kind of book they had chosen. With people lamenting a cheap appearance to some of the items, that makes it harder to believe they were given a completed boxed set in advance, to examine and approve before signing off on it.

Some of the items might have seemed okay, others might have been disappointing when delivered; or perhaps the deciding opinion was completely fine with it... None of us can know this unless we were there. But like I said, I can't imagine a company deliberately putting their label on an embarrassing product; and [assuming it was; as some backers believe] if they didn't believe that it was... how is that underhanded or slippery?

AndreaColombo
Novice

Post by AndreaColombo » April 2nd, 2017, 12:33 am

^ if that was the case, no embarrassing products would ever exist. I think we can all safely agree that is not the case.

I, for one, will avoid inXile products like the plague going forward. Obsidian have done a much better job in less time and on a tighter budget with PoE, while being respectful to backers and cutting exactly zero stretch goals.
"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."
— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fear